Faegerstrom: Chris Davis is the lone Oriole to deserve a Gold Glove

Frobby

Davis was good defensively, but... he had several crucial bad plays. I don't know about the competition, but he did not have a gold glove worthy season. Maybe it doesn't qualify them for any award, but Manny and JJ are far more important to the O's defense than Davis is.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-2016-american-league-gold-gloves-by-the-numbers/#more-232982

Manny's the only other Oriole who makes the top 3 at his position, and he's behind Seager and Beltre by Faegerstrom's methodology.

Isn't that largely because manny has 400 less innings at third due to time at SS? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding his approach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Davis was good defensively, but... he had several crucial bad plays. I don't know about the competition, but he did not have a gold glove worthy season. Maybe it doesn't qualify them for any award, but Manny and JJ are far more important to the O's defense than Davis is.

I should think almost every team's other infielders are more important than their respective 1b re: team defense...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Davis was bad at the end of the season so that stands out to us but he saved us a LOT of runs this year.

Particularly manny, who had throws going all over the place. By far manny's worse season at third but that is just compared to his previously stellar performances and not really derogatory.

All I know is that we have a plus infield and a disaster of an outfield when it comes to defense. Catcher is average to me. But he arm is solid.

I would be curious to see cumulative team infield numbers. I do think the Orioles are very solid and would stack up well.

As a layman and a fan, I'd have a hard time voting for Davis, but the impact of some of his errors this year have been HUGE. In the last month of the season, he had two different games where his errors cost unearned runs that the Orioles lost those games by. It's the difference between tonight's WC game being in Baltimore or Toronto.

Again, I know this kind of thing is preferably based on interpretation metrics and such, so it's a good thing that it's not my vote.

Archived