Poll: Fireable Offense?

VeveJones007

Was not pitching Britton in the WC game a fireable offense for the O's manager?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Was not pitching Britton in the WC game a fireable offense for the O's manager?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

One of Buck's primary strengths as a manager, one of the reasons the clubhouse stays together and they'll pull together even when there is little or no reason to, is that he shows faith in his players. He will never knee-jerk a guy out of a role.

That annoys the part of the fanbase who would bench a guy over a single game to no end. That's a feature, not a bug.

Funny how he did that exact thing with Kim when Buck wanted him to be sent down to the minors because he struggled over a small sample size of at-bats in spring training.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buck's decision to stick with JJ in 2013 is much more debatable. You are way out there on a limb for 2012 in my book. Of course I don't like the fact that JJ gave up a game-tying homer in Game 3, but to suggest that Buck made any kind of error in using him in that game is preposterous.

I had season tickets in 2013 and went to a lot of extra games. I saw JJ blow games that season person. The only thing that stopped Buck from having JJ as a closer was DD giving him away to the A's. If O'Day had been made the closer that season maybe things turn out differently.

I meant to say I saw JJ blow 4 games in person in 2013 including 2 in one week.

I saw him blow a three-run lead to the Blue Jays on May 26 that season. Very frustrating.

JJ had an odd season that year, with long periods of dominance interspersed with short periods where he seemed clueless. His first 19 games he saved 14 straight and posted an 0.95 ERA. Then he blew 4 saves in 6 games (with 1 save) and posted a 21.60 ERA in those games. Then his next 29 games he posted a 1.35 ERA and saved 24 of 26. Then he blew 3 straight saves and threw to a 9.00 ERA over a 4-game stretch. Then he closed the season by saving 11 straight and posting an 0.57 ERA over 16 games. It was pretty bizarre -- just seemed like he had a couple of stretches where he completely lost his mechanics and couldn't keep his pitches down, but the rest of the time he was quite dominant. Honestly, I really don't blame Buck for sticking with him in 2013, but it is far more debatable than the decision to go with him during the 2012 ALDS.

As an aside, I was glad to see JJ have a pretty decent year this season for Atlanta. He was installed as their closer halfway through the season and saved 20 of 22, and posted a 1.65 ERA in his final 48 games of the season after a very rocky start. I always thought he was a stand-up guy.

Oh please...part of the argument is that JJ "only" allowed one baserunner in a game that he blew? In a playoff series the Orioles eventually lost? Maybe hindsight is kinder than I'd typically imagine. How about sticking with JJ through his 9 blown saves in 2013 (along with a smattering of other non-save games in which he took the loss)? Was that a "feature"?

Showalter's postseason record now stands at 9-14. His teams have made it past the division series one time since 1992 (The O's in 2014). Maybe you're a fan of retro fixer-uppers with "original details" and old school "features," but I'd prefer something that wins when it counts and doesn't make tactical errors that accelerate, if not guarantee, losses.

I won't soften my stance that the playoffs are essentially even matchups decided largely by random things because the O's lost a wildcard game this week. If you'd like to assign more direct cause-and-effect that's your choice.

JJ blew 9 games in 2013, but he also saved 50 games, for a 84.75, which is pretty much average for a MLB closer.

Unless you have a Zach Britton maybe a closer isn't needed then. Just go on whomever is pitching well and match ups. I think eliminating the save stat would improve the game.

Unless you have a Zach Britton maybe a closer isn't needed then. Just go on whomever is pitching well and match ups. I think eliminating the save stat would improve the game.

You've been brained washed by CoC. :):):)

Even at 84.75 an average closer, helps the team with more wins than loses.

I do not adhere to the believe that anbody can close out close games.

Closer is a tuff mental role, and not every good pitcher, can make that leap.

I'm not an O's fan, but I was rooting for you guys in the WC playoff. As on outsider, I was pretty appalled by Buck's decision (appalled enough to post here for the first time in years). I would say that it ranks among the very worst that I've seen from a MLB manager in a critical game.

I understand that Buck is generally well-respected and has been an integral part of the recent success that the Orioles have been experiencing, but what he did the other night was entirely inexcusable. As a fan, I would be losing a lot of confidence in his ability to manage his way through a high leverage situation in a critical game. So I would certainly want to see him fired if I were an O's fan.

I'm not an O's fan, but I was rooting for you guys in the WC playoff. As on outsider, I was pretty appalled by Buck's decision (appalled enough to post here for the first time in years). I would say that it ranks among the very worst that I've seen from a MLB manager in a critical game.

I understand that Buck is generally well-respected and has been an integral part of the recent success that the Orioles have been experiencing, but what he did the other night was entirely inexcusable. As a fan, I would be losing a lot of confidence in his ability to manage his way through a high leverage situation in a critical game. So I would certainly want to see him fired if I were an O's fan.

Not an Oriole fan, but yet, your user name, is a former Oriole.

You've been brained washed by CoC. :):):)

Even at 84.75 an average closer, helps the team with more wins than loses.

I do not adhere to the believe that anbody can close out close games.

Closer is a tuff mental role, and not every good pitcher, can make that leap.

Our manager certainly believes in a closer so discussion over. Buck isn't going anywhere. The small bad decision this was is nothing compared to 14 years of losing. Our "year" was 2014. Machado and MW got hurt. Davis got suspended. DD didn't pull the trigger on a Lester for Hunter Harvey trade. Oh, and if not for a freak C injury, the A's should have beat the Royals. Changing everything.

We're more set up for next year. Tillman, Gausman, and Bundy are going to be nasty.

Our manager certainly believes in a closer so discussion over. Buck isn't going anywhere. The small bad decision this was is nothing compared to 14 years of losing. Our "year" was 2014. Machado and MW got hurt. Davis got suspended. DD didn't pull the trigger on a Lester for Hunter Harvey trade. Oh, and if not for a freak C injury, the A's should have beat the Royals. Changing everything.

Wait, what? When was a Harvey for Lester trade ever on the table? Do you have a link for this?

Wait, what? When was a Harvey for Lester trade ever on the table? Do you have a link for this?

And even if true, how much does a 2 or 3 month rental of Jon Lester move the needle on a 2014 team that won the division by more than 10 games and five starters with sub-4.00 ERAs in over 100 innings?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">To summarize: Orioles don't use best reliever, lose on three-run homer. Mets do use best reliever, lose on three-run homer. Math that.</p>— Ray Ratto (@RattoCSN) <a href="

">October 6, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived