Why not Davis in right field... to make room for Mancini?

Bradysburns

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well for one, Davis is a very good defensive 1B while he has looked like a deer wearing ice skates in the OF. Do you really want to go through another year of atrocious corner OF defense after this past season?

I disagree with your characterization of Davis in right. But if it were true, I would NOT want him out there. Again, for people saying Davis is a sub-par or even bad right fielder, what are you basing that on? The eyeball test?

I've looked up the defensive stats and they seem to suggest that he's fairly solid out there - and in some ways better in right than at 1B. I think he's probably better at 1B at this point in time, but how much of that is just experience at the position? He's very athletic and versatile... I suspect he could turn into a plus-defender in right, but who am I to say.

Hasn't he played there before but not that great at it?

He played 250-plus innings there in 2015. That's a decent sample size, and he played some there in 2016 as well. The stats do not suggest a poor outfielder out there. Heck, this is the team that just played a season with Trumbo in right. He'd definitely be a step up, IMO...

That seems to be the big question. Can CD even play a plus right field. I would vote yes - if he's given the chance to really get good at the position. I believe he came up as a third baseman. It's not like he's been only a first baseman his whole career.

I disagree with your characterization of Davis in right. But if it were true, I would NOT want him out there. Again, for people saying Davis is a sub-par or even bad right fielder, what are you basing that on? The eyeball test?

I've looked up the defensive stats and they seem to suggest that he's fairly solid out there - and in some ways better in right than at 1B. I think he's probably better at 1B at this point in time, but how much of that is just experience at the position? He's very athletic and versatile... I suspect he could turn into a plus-defender in right, but who am I to say.

The sample size isn't large enough for any metrics to mean anything. You quoted fielding percentage earlier, which is meaningless in all sample sizes.

I've seen quite a few terrible routes from him, he also doesn't move around as well as people on here seem to think he does. He definitely lumbers around when he's in the outfield.

Some video evidence of awful play:

This is just awful

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=217424883&topic_id=6479266&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Makes the catch but an awful jump and route from the same game:

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=217407183&topic_id=6479266&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Here he is this year on a Carlos Correa "double":

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=1079153183&topic_id=6479266&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

That was just what I could find quickly. He only played 24 innings there this year, but that was enough to at least make 1 gaffe. I seem to remember one more but it must not have been an important enough play game wise to make the highlights.

Archived