The case for Josh Reddick

ChuckS

Need to get younger, and cost controlled

And I mean under 25, preferably under 22

Need to trade Britton for ML ready OF prospects... and no I don't know who they are, but that's what we need

No Reddick, no more platoon guys, bad enough that we have Kim for another year

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am going to give you some terrifying news then. Many more players should be platoon ed than are not. The answer to those deficiencies is lineup balance in most cases, not platoons.

Reddick was arguably better in 2016 v. Lefties than Adam Jones.

That's debatable when you consider the limited size of a roster.

All I said was that I consider not having to be platooned to be a box. I didn't state that it was a deal breaker or even unusual. When you talk of "checking off all of the boxes when it comes to a position player I think being able to play every day should be a consideration.

I am going to give you some terrifying news then. Many more players should be platoon ed than are not. The answer to those deficiencies is lineup balance in most cases, not platoons.

Reddick was arguably better in 2016 v. Lefties than Adam Jones.

Depends on your definition of "arguably." If you mean that some folks will argue that black is white, then yes. If you mean formulating a well-reasoned argument based on fact, not so much. .366 OPS speaks for itself. There are NL pitchers that put up higher numbers than that.

Joey Rickard in 2016 against LHP: .861

Steve Pearce career against LHP: .852

Kim/Rickard and Reddick/Pearce are great platoon matches.

How many platoon players out there get contracts worth 10 plus a year? Not many. I don't see how any team can look at him as an everyday player considering his career numbers against lefties. I would still go 3/30 on him if it's within the budget. Scarcity could drive up prices a bit so he may get that or a little more from someone.

I don't see them signing Pearce, he had injury problems practically as soon as they got him this season. Even Rickard is iffy to make the opening day roster now that his Rule-5 status is gone... but you have a point. Somebody will be the RH platoon for corner OF, and hopefully he will be better than Nolan Reimold. Reddick's career OPS vs LHP is a bad-but-respectable .640 -- I expect he'll do better than .366 next season.

If Reddick actually goes for $8 mil a year I'd call that a no brainer. He should be a 1.5-2.5 win player for the next few years. 3/$24 is no longer a big contract in today's market.

I don't see them signing Pearce, he had injury problems practically as soon as they got him this season. Even Rickard is iffy to make the opening day roster now that his Rule-5 status is gone... but you have a point. Somebody will be the RH platoon for corner OF, and hopefully he will be better than Nolan Reimold. Reddick's career OPS vs LHP is a bad-but-respectable .640 -- I expect he'll do better than .366 next season.

If Reddick actually goes for $8 mil a year I'd call that a no brainer. He should be a 1.5-2.5 win player for the next few years. 3/$24 is no longer a big contract in today's market.

Not to nitpick, but how can you be bad but respectable? That seems to be a contradiction. .700 would be respectable if we are talking about a guy hitting from his weak side. .640 is just bad IMO if we are talking about a corner outfielder and don't think that .366 number from last year will be ignored. He'll be a tough sell as an everyday player for any team. So how much is a team willing to pay for 450 at bats? We'll see.

Pass. Hard pass. He's 29, had 1 good year in Oakland, and has a career OBP of .316. That's just what we DON'T need. Even if you only played him against RHP, his .330 OBP is nothing to write home about. If you could get him for around 5-6 million on a 1 or 2 year deal, maybe I'd say yes. But not for what it would actually cost.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/reddijo01.shtml

His OBP has been .333 and .345 over the last 2 years. And he's still an average defensive player. He's an upgrade over Trumbo, for sure.

Not sure how you think he's only worth 1/5 on the free agent market.

What are the odds he is and stays healthy.

Also way back in 2015 he had a .289 OBP. That's sub-Schoop.

Not sure. Depends on how the surgery recovery goes, but I would take a flyer on him. He won't be expensive. .867 OPS in 2016 and .930 in 2014 are appealing to me.

We need someone who can hit lefties coming off the bench. Who would you suggest?

Not sure. Depends on how the surgery recovery goes, but I would take a flyer on him. He won't be expensive. .867 OPS in 2016 and .930 in 2014 are appealing to me.

We need someone who can hit lefties coming off the bench. Who would you suggest?

No clue without knowing what they actually had to work with.

I could live with Pearce coming back but we shouldn't act as if he doesn't carry significant risk. His 2015 season has to be a concern as does his extensive history of injuries.

No clue without knowing what they actually had to work with.

I could live with Pearce coming back but we shouldn't act as if he doesn't carry significant risk. His 2015 season has to be a concern as does his extensive history of injuries.

We are talking about a low risk buy here (1/4? 1/5?). No one is saying he is a perfect player without faults. I think you will have trouble finding a better hitter against lefties at the price he will cost.

Archived