Will the O's take a flier on C Justin O'Connor?

Tony-OH

Tampa just designated former #1 pick and top prospect Catcher Justin O'Conner. Seems like the kind of guy Duquette likes to take a flier on. Seems to have a rocket arm but definitely can't hit. He's coming off back surgery as well. Here's what MLB Trade Rumors had to say: 

The Rays announced on Monday that minor league catcher Justin O’Conner has been designated for assignment. His spot on the 40-man roster will go to Wilson Ramos, whose two-year deal with Tampa Bay is now official.

O’Conner, 25 in March, was drafted with the No. 31 overall pick by the Rays in 2010 and rated as one of the organization’s top 30 prospects (per Baseball America) each year since. Prior to the 2015 season, BA rated him as highly as No. 3 on Tampa Bay’s top 30, and MLB.com entered the season with O’Conner ranked 61st overall among MLB prospects that same season. That ranking came on the heels of a very solid .278/.316/.466 batting line compiled between Class-A Advanced and Double-A, but O’Conner limped to a .231/.255/.371 performance in 2015 — his first full season at Double-A.

Injuries have been an issue for O’Conner, though, and the Rays announced today that he’s undergone a pair of back surgeries after being limited to just 20 games in 2016. He also underwent a pair of hip surgeries early in his career, so durability concerns aren’t exactly a new phenomenon for O’Conner.

Last winter, O’Conner rated 13th among Rays farmhands, per BA, though their scouting reported questioned his ability to hit breaking pitches and changeups while also raising questions about his “decision-making on defense and aptitude for game management.” BA does note that he’s gotten 80 grades on his throwing arm — O’Conner has halted 46 percent of stolen bases attempted against him in his career — and has above-average raw power."

• Upvote 1

Sounds like a player that would be worth a shot on a minor league contract, but I don't know if he's somebody we would want to claim and use up a 40-man spot for.  If he goes unclaimed, I'm guessing that the Rays will reassign him to the minors, rather than releasing him.

12 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Sounds like a player that would be worth a shot on a minor league contract, but I don't know if he's somebody we would want to claim and use up a 40-man spot for.  If he goes unclaimed, I'm guessing that the Rays will reassign him to the minors, rather than releasing him.

By my count the team has 38 players on the 40-man roster and that includes at least 5 guys they could DFA and no one would claim them. Why not? Worse case scenario is you DFA him if you need a spot.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

By my count the team has 38 players on the 40-man roster and that includes at least 5 guys they could DFA and no one would claim them. Why not? Worse case scenario is you DFA him if you need a spot.

Makes sense.  Sorry, I didn't realize that we had two empty spots on the 40-man.  Then if we sign two free agents, we can DFA him and he might slip thru waivers and we could then reassign him to AAA.  Nothing to lose.  Good idea, Tony.

• Upvote 1

The main question would be, is there room for him? Not just on the 40, but in general.

MLB: Whatever veteran they get (Weiters/Castillo/Hundley/Suzuki) and whoever they decide as back up (Joseph/Pena)

AAA: Perez (if not traded), Sisco, whoever didn't win the back up job (if not traded)

AA: Wynns, TBD until O'Brien comes back from suspension (possibly Chris Shaw)

A+: Murphy, McLanahan

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Exactly.  Even if you carry him all ST and then 60 day DL him as soon as the season starts.  He's basically free catcher depth.  There are some guys that could go easily on the 40 man and it wouldn't be a bad loss.  For an organization lacking position player depth, this would be a solid pickup.  Plus he has options remaining.  

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

The main question would be, is there room for him? Not just on the 40, but in general.

MLB: Whatever veteran they get (Weiters/Castillo/Hundley/Suzuki) and whoever they decide as back up (Joseph/Pena)

AAA: Perez (if not traded), Sisco, whoever didn't win the back up job (if not traded)

AA: Wynns, TBD until O'Brien comes back from suspension (possibly Chris Shaw)

A+: Murphy, McLanahan

Sisco is literally the only guy on this list you make a spot for. Perez is a AAAA guy, If Wynn is better than he'll beat out O'Connor, but I wouldn't mind seeing them split time at Bowie.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Sisco is literally the only guy on this list you make a spot for. Perez is a AAAA guy, If Wynn is better than he'll beat out O'Connor, but I wouldn't mind seeing them split time at Bowie.

Honestly, I would not be surprised to see either of Perez/Pena traded just before or during Spring Training, especially if a veteran catcher is signed by Baltimore, to make room for Sisco.

The main thing that concerns me about O'Connor is his injury history. 2 hip surgeries and 2 back surgeries already, for a catcher. If they do take a flyer on him, he could be like Zach Kapstein (traded from Red Sox as a catcher, was converted to outfield with Frederick due to injuries.)

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Honestly, I would not be surprised to see either of Perez/Pena traded just before or during Spring Training, especially if a veteran catcher is signed by Baltimore, to make room for Sisco.

The main thing that concerns me about O'Connor is his injury history. 2 hip surgeries and 2 back surgeries already, for a catcher. If they do take a flyer on him, he could be like Zach Kapstein (traded from Red Sox as a catcher, was converted to outfield with Frederick due to injuries.)

Kapstein only started one game in the minor leagues as a catcher and that was in the first year after he was drafted. He's a 44th round draft pick who's been a light hitting organizational outfielder for his entire career basically.

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Haha, Belicheck knew if he put out all his receivers the Ravens would have to put Elam out there. And some nobody just smoked his sorry azz!

So...Elam could play catcher for the Orioles?

44 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Kapstein only started one game in the minor leagues as a catcher and that was in the first year after he was drafted. He's a 44th round draft pick who's been a light hitting organizational outfielder for his entire career basically.

Ok, not my best comparison. But I'd be very cautious with a player that has 4 surgeries on the major parts that are essential to his position. With a very good arm, maybe he can help with some outfielding. I just wouldn't keep him as a catcher and break his body down even further.

4 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

So...Elam could play catcher for the Orioles?

Ok, not my best comparison. But I'd be very cautious with a player that has 4 surgeries on the major parts that are essential to his position. With a very good arm, maybe he can help with some outfielding. I just wouldn't keep him as a catcher and break his body down even further.

If he can't catch, then you try to convert him to pitcher. he doesn't have the bat to move anywhere else.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If he can't catch, then you try to convert him to pitcher. he doesn't have the bat to move anywhere else.

He had 1 bad season, then missed a second due to his back getting repaired. Give him another season at the plate while fully repaired. If he hits, great. If not, turn him into Mychael Givens, by all means.

9 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

He had 1 bad season, then missed a second due to his back getting repaired. Give him another season at the plate while fully repaired. If he hits, great. If not, turn him into Mychael Givens, by all means.

He's slashed .233/.282/.392/.674 over 2019 PAs, in AA and below over his career. He needs to be a game changing defender at catcher to have any chance in the big leagues as a position player.