Would trading Mancini be the best option now?

mdbdotcom

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

1. He doesn't have the skills to be a COF, if he could have, don't you think they would have already been doing that in the minors, which is what the minors are for.

2. Do you truly believe the team really would have wasted 100 million on Davis, if Mancini could play a good firstbase?

3. He has been blocked, because they brought in big leaguers, like Pedro, why? Maybe, they were in a playoff push and felt he wasn't ready?

4. He did hit well, keep in mind, it was only 15 Plate appearances.

I really hope he plays well and lands a spot on the 25 man roster and can contributed. I just trying to keep perspective, there has been no much hype on this kid  by some, if he fails to win the triple crown, they will be diasppointed.

Not really by me.... If he gets a legitimate chance to play and fizzles fine.

if he is traded for another guy that is a comparable value and had a good career elsewhere fine.

Buck will likely bury him on the bench due to his love fest for everyday veteran players and sporadic playing time will hurt his potential. 

Thats why id prefer he go to AAA at this point.

Like I said the part that would anger me is tearing him for a 1year rental  with minimal tread left.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Not really by me.... If he gets a legitimate chance to play and fizzles fine.

if he is traded for another guy that is a comparable value and had a good career elsewhere fine.

Buck will likely bury him on the bench due to his love fest for everyday veteran players and sporadic playing time will hurt his potential. 

Thats why id prefer he go to AAA at this point.

Like I said the part that would anger me is tearing him for a 1year rental  with minimal tread left.

Given the statement by DD about not much of a reason for Mancini to go back to AAA this season, not sure, if going back to AAA would happen.

Its just hard to find a roster spot for somebody that is limited to part-time DH role.

34 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Given the statement by DD about not much of a reason for Mancini to go back to AAA this season, not sure, if going back to AAA would happen.

Its just hard to find a roster spot for somebody that is limited to part-time DH role.

DD is always saying stuff like this in the offseason before he has made his moves.   Every year he suggests that one of our minor leaguers is a good candidate to fill one of our roster spots, then he makes a move that suggests he was just saying things to keep the fan base from getting frantic.   In Mancini's case, I think he's a decent bet to be solid but not great major league hitter, but DD decided not to take the risk.    

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

DD is always saying stuff like this in the offseason before he has made his moves.   Every year he suggests that one of our minor leaguers is a good candidate to fill one of our roster spots, then he makes a move that suggests he was just saying things to keep the fan base from getting frantic.   In Mancini's case, I think he's a decent bet to be solid but not great major league hitter, but DD decided not to take the risk.    

Mancini is this year's Tyler Wilson. He has proven himself at AAA, but that does not mean he has what it takes to succeed in the big leagues. I was a big fan of Tyler Wilson but DD probably made the right call to bring him along slowly. I would rather see him getting ABs and working on defense in AAA than getting stiff on the bench. Then he will be a phone call away should something happen to Davis, Smith, or Kim (which will likely happen at some point).

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Mancini is this year's Tyler Wilson. He has proven himself at AAA, but that does not mean he has what it takes to succeed in the big leagues. 

I think Mancini has way more upside than Tyler Wilson.    

10 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Mancini is this year's Tyler Wilson. He has proven himself at AAA, but that does not mean he has what it takes to succeed in the big leagues. I was a big fan of Tyler Wilson but DD probably made the right call to bring him along slowly. I would rather see him getting ABs and working on defense in AAA than getting stiff on the bench. Then he will be a phone call away should something happen to Davis, Smith, or Kim (which will likely happen at some point).

Maybe Tyler will develop a trick pitch at some point in his career. 

5 minutes ago, weams said:

Maybe Tyler will develop a trick pitch at some point in his career. 

Tyler would be fine if he could keep the ball down in the zone when he wants to.   Thigh high pitches aren't going to cut it with his stuff.   Sometimes he's sharp, sometimes he's not, and he simply can't get away with it when he's not.     

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Mancini has way more upside than Tyler Wilson.    

Maybe. They both look like slightly better than an average AAA player right now. Harbor Park is hard to hit in, but the list of recent players who've hit as well as or better than Mancini includes Parmalee, Weeks, Hoes, Valencia, Canzler, Clevenger, Ishikawa, Ford, Waring...

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tyler would be fine if he could keep the ball down in the zone when he wants to.   Thigh high pitches aren't going to cut it with his stuff.   Sometimes he's sharp, sometimes he's not, and he simply can't get away with it when he's not.     

It's not like he's a command and control guy. 

Mancini only has more upside than Wilson because he hasn't really played in the majors yet. He has as much upside as Wilson had before he got his shot. It's pretty clear that Mancini can succeed against AAA but has some limitations offensively and defensively. It's possible that Mancini will have more success, and in general I am in favor of giving young and cheap players a shot. Personally I would have gone for a full time RF rather than Trumbo, but at least they didn't overpay.

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I did see where Buck or DD mentioned trying him in the OF during spring training. 

Seems  s like it should've been done last year at AAA

On 1/24/2017 at 3:27 PM, Frobby said:

I tend to agree with others that other teams' interest in Mancini is more likely to be based on his 2,000 previous plate appearances as a professional than the 70-80 PA he might get in spring training. I don't mean that his performance in ST is completely irrelevant, but it's only a very minor factor.    

Nick Markakis says hello.

Archived