More Questions for My OH Friends

ELMERO

1. Two parter-Who's the better RFer, Trumbo or Davis?  If you pick Davis, would Trumbo be acceptable at 1B? (This alignment would be against RHP only.)  My answers-Davis and yes

2. Is Kim really a valuable asset?  I say no, not really. Trade him, if you can, for a MiL or two.

3. Who is the better over-all player, Seth Smith or Kim?  I say Smith.

4. Would you re-sign Pedro Alvarez to DH against RHP? I say yes.
5. Do you think Joey Rickard is a ML player?  I say yes.
6. Barring a trade for RH decent defensive OFer, is Dariel Alvarez our current best option?  I say yes.
7. Do you think Jonathan Schoop, batting 3rd is a viable idea? I say yes.

IF

TRUMBO IB/DH 
SCHOOP 2B
MACHADO 3B/SS
HARDY SS
FLAHERTY 2B/3B/SS/1B
P. ALVAREZ DH/1B

OF

JONES CF
DAVIS RF/1B
SMITH LF/RF
RICKARD LF/RF/CF
D. ALVAREZ RF

RHP

SMITH LF
MACHADO 3B
SCHOOP 2B
DAVIS RF
TRUMBO 1B
JONES CF
P. ALVAREZ DH
CASTILLO C
HARDY SS

LHP

RICKARD LF
MACHADO 3B
SCHOOP 2B
TRUMBO DH
DAVIS1B
JONES CF
CASTILLO C
D. ALVAREZ RF
HARDY SS

28 minutes ago, ELMERO said:

1. Two parter-Who's the better RFer, Trumbo or Davis?  If you pick Davis, would Trumbo be acceptable at 1B? (This alignment would be against RHP only.)  My answers-Davis and yes

2. Is Kim really a valuable asset?  I say no, not really. Trade him, if you can, for a MiL or two.

6. Barring a trade for RH decent defensive OFer, is Dariel Alvarez our current best option?  I say yes.

Good questions.    I think Davis is a better OF than Trumbo.    I haven't seen enough of Trumbo at 1B to really know, but his numbers there suggest he'd be average there.    

Kim's an asset, but I wouldn't call him indispensable.   I don't know who's better between him and Smith.    I expect it's close.

I don't really want either Davis or Trumbo in the OF much, so I don't like the idea of Pedro returning to DH.

I think Rickard is an adequate 4th/5th OF.

Dariel Alvarez is our best internal option for another RH outfielder, but not that great an option overall.   

No way I want Schoop batting 3rd.    6th or lower unless he stops swinging at everything and gets his OBP to a respectable level.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Good questions.    I think Davis is a better OF than Trumbo.    I haven't seen enough of Trumbo at 1B to really know, but his numbers there suggest he'd be average there.    

Kim's an asset, but I wouldn't call him indispensable.   I don't know who's better between him and Smith.    I expect it's close.

I don't really want either Davis or Trumbo in the OF much, so I don't like the idea of Pedro returning to DH.

I think Rickard is an adequate 4th/5th OF.

Dariel Alvarez is our best internal option for another RH outfielder, but not that great an option overall.   

No way I want Schoop batting 3rd.    6th or lower unless he stops swinging at everything and gets his OBP to a respectable level.  

Thanks for taking the time, Frobby.  Good answers.  Always respect what you have to say.

1- Insufficient data but I'm inclined to say that Davis would be marginally better over a season.  I'm going to let Davis play where he likes since, ideally, I don't want either in the outfield.

2- Yes

3- Insufficient data.  Need to see more of Kim, particularly against LHP.  Also need to see if Smith's 2016 outfield defense was an outliner or the beginning of a decline period.

4- No.  No room on the roster for him. 

5- Fringe

6- There are no winners here.

7- Lineup order is of marginal importance and 3rd is the fifth most important position so sure, bat him there.

Rickard is a better RFer than either of them

Yes, Kim is an asset

Smith

No, Trumbo is the DH

Yes

TBD, but probably not.  Kim can probably it lefties. If not go to Tavarez. If that doesn't work use Trumbo.   D.Alvarez is my 4th choice.

No Manny should bat 3rd.

If a guy walks as little in the minors as Dariel Alvarez, then he better be piling up huge amounts of total bases (which DA isn't).   Because ML pitchers will get the book on him really quickly and he won't see anything to hit in the majors.

Given his walk rate, and his age, I just don't seem him as a major leaguer, period.

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

If a guy walks as little in the minors as Dariel Alvarez, then he better be piling up huge amounts of total bases (which DA isn't).   Because ML pitchers will get the book on him really quickly and he won't see anything to hit in the majors.

Given his walk rate, and his age, I just don't seem him as a major leaguer, period.

I don't think that he will be an MLB asset. 

Archived