Who do you target in the 2nd?

some people call him a John Olerud clone, only with more range defensively. Played SS in college, but projects as a 2nd baseman.

another one I like is Arizona State OF/1B Ike Davis-

Monster Power!

I agree with your Flaherty selection. He's someone I've been following for some time now and would really like the Orioles to take him in the 2nd round.

Ike Davis won't be around. I love Reece Havens, but he won't fall to #50. Same with Conor Gillaspie. These players would be great, but we have to realize they won't be around when we select in the 2nd round.

Here are some other players I would like to see the Orioles target:

James Darnell, 3B, South Carolina.

Teammate of Smoak and Havens at South Carolina. Darnell is considered he best athlete of the three and has potential to be a five-tool talent in the pros.

Tyler Landendorf, SS, Howard (Texas) JC

Ladendorf has put up the crazy numbers in JUCO the last two seasons. As a freshman, he hit .425 and led all national juco players with 65 steals in as many attempts. This year, he has become more of a power threat, topping the juco batting race with a .542 average thru mid-May and throwing in 16 homers (up from one a year ago) and 31 steals in 32 tries. He has shortened his swing and can flash plus-plus speed when he's not playing on cruise control.

Lonnie Chisenhall, 3B, Pitt (N.C.) CC

Chisenhall originally played at South Carolina with Smoak, Havens and Darnell. He hit third in a Gamecocks lineup and was considered one of the top pure hitters in the country. At the beginning of conference play, Chisenhall was arrested and charged with larceny, leading to his immediate dismissal from the team. He later transferred to Pitt CC. He is considered one of the best hitters in this draft class. Whatever team drafts him will have to deal with his off-field issues, but if they feel he has matured he could be a steal.

Jordon Danks, OF, Texas

If teams drafted players on athletic ability alone, Danks would be a top 5 pick. He might have been a first-round pick coming out of high school had he not told teams he was set on attending Texas. He was one of the best prep power hitters in the 2005 draft, having beaten Cameron Maybin in the home run derby at the 2004 AFLCA All-America Game, where Danks hit several balls completely out of the park. If Danks was delivering the power scouts expected, he'd be an easy first-round pick because he's both big (6-foot-5, 205 pounds) and the best college athlete in this draft class. He runs well and shows better instincts on the bases and in center field than he does at the plate. His upside may be too hard to pass up for some teams. IMO, teams with multiple early round picks should take a shot at Danks.

Jason Christian, SS, Michigan

Christian is one of the few shortstops in the draft with both offensive and defensive skills, and his all-around game could boost him as high as the second round. He has a loose swing, plenty of bat speed and some power potential to tap into once he adds some weight to his 6-foot-3, 170-pound frame. He uses the whole field and shows an aptitude for drawing walks. Once he gets on base, he's a slightly above-average runner who can provide an occasional steal. Unlike many of the better-hitting shortstops available, Christian won't have to switch positions. He has good actions at shortstop, along with plenty of range and arm strength.

Kyle Russell, OF, Texas

Russell led Division I with a school-record 28 homers in 2007, yet that wasn't enough to answer questions about his bat. His seven-figure asking price dropped him to the Cardinals in the fourth round and when the two sides couldn't come to an agreement, he returned for an up-and-down junior season. He'll be lucky to get the $800,000 the Cardinals offered him last year, but his power makes him an intriguing prospect.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any way that Tanner Scheppers falls to us in the 2nd round? Isn't he injured? I follow the draft somewhat, more focused in on our first pick than the later rounds. I've just heard this name a lot and how he may fall because of his injury. Hopefully Jordan will be able to snag some good talent with our picks after the 1st round as well. It will be nice to have a full assortment of picks after we didn't have a 2nd and 3rd rounder last year.

Is there any way that Tanner Scheppers falls to us in the 2nd round? Isn't he injured? I follow the draft somewhat, more focused in on our first pick than the later rounds. I've just heard this name a lot and how he may fall because of his injury. Hopefully Jordan will be able to snag some good talent with our picks after the 1st round as well. It will be nice to have a full assortment of picks after we didn't have a 2nd and 3rd rounder last year.

IMO, Scheppers will fall quite a bit further than just the 2nd round. MRI's revealed he didn't have a stress fracture in his shoulder, but the joint and shoulder area is loose with signs of disintegration. It's too bad because Scheppers (who was drafted in the 29th round in 2005 by the Orioles) clearly would have been a top 10 pick.

The Brewers, who have 6 picks in the first two rounds may take a chance of Scheppers with one of their extra picks.

Ok, so since I had some time today, I did some stat analyzing, and what do you guys think of these guys. Not really 1st rounders, but some of them could go anywhere 2-5th.

1. R. Havens: I know he's projected maybe late first, I just wanted to see if you think he drops, and if we should snatch him, seems like a prototypical leadoff guy, steals, walks, and scores.

2. M. Sheridan: 1B W&Mary - is up at the top of most offensive stats right now, including a very interesting one, hardest to strike out, which is an underrated but telling stat.

3. Michael Harrington: OF College of Charleston. Senior, leading DIV I in HR right now, and at the top of a few other stats.

4.&5. Teammates from GA. Southern: AJ Wirnsberger INF, and Chris Shehan OF.

Just wanted to see if you guys had seen much of these guys and what you thought of them. I saw Sheridan a few weeks back, and he reminds me of Nick Johnson. The other ones I haven't been able to dig much up on, my scout buddies hadn't seen them either, but their numbers are intriguing.

I hope we get Sheridan. He's the little brother of a good buddy of mine.

Archived