Opening Day 2017 Injury Report - AL East

25 Nuggets

This thread is to take a look at how the AL East is being affected by spring injuries, both pitching and position players, therefore I make it separate from the "They All Break" thread.

BALTIMORE

Chris Tillman is the obvious #1 issue and we've talked about it elsewhere.  Seth Smith was dinged up in the spring but it looks like he'll be ready for opening day.  Other than that, the injury report is full of fringe players and prospects.  The April roster looks pretty much in-tact so long as they start the season with four SP.

BOSTON

Not many problems, but one big one in David Price who is expected to miss all of April.  Roenis Elias are questionable but is a depth pitcher.  Mid-season the team will be getting Carson Smith back from TJ rehab, and it will be interesting to see if he settles back in.  Overall it looks like fair winds.

NEW YORK

Didi Gregorius will likely start the season on the DL and that is a big problem for a team with Starlin Castro struggling mightily on IF defense.  Tyler Austin had a shot at playing time at 1B but is now blocked, which may be moot anyway, as he is also out for April.  Like Boston, the Yankees will get a couple TJ arms back mid-season in Branden Pinder and Nick Rumbelow - neither are the caliber of a Carson Smith though.

TAMPA BAY

Tim Beckham, Alex Cobb, both Rasmuses and Brad Boxberger are all questionable to start the season.  Add Matt Duffy to that with an unknown timetable and Wilson Ramos who was signed injured.  The team that can likely least afford injuries looks the worst heading to opening day.

TORONTO

Josh Donaldson scared the Jays this spring but it looks like he'll be ready for game one against the Orioles (darnit).  Jose Bautista is knicked up as always but isn't on the report.  Players who ARE listed include Roberto Osuna, Dalton Pompey and Gavin Floyd.  There isn't much concrete but there are a number of threats.

Not as many issues as I imagined before looking it over.  The long-term health of David Price and Chris Tillman are by far the biggest concerns - if they each miss just April, the division overall is quite healthy.  Other out-of-division teams are having it worse.  Notable players who will start the season on the DL include Homer Bailey, Andrew Cashner, David Dahl, Ian Desmond, Andre Ethier, Sonny Gray, Jason Kipnis, J.D. Martinez, Michael Morse, Martin Prado, Alex Reyes, Tyson Ross, Will Smith, Luis Valbuena and David Wright.  There are a good number of others currently in the "questionable" category that may join them.  Aside from injuries, the Pirates have the Jung Ho Kang mess to deal with.

Of course the landscape can look quite different in two weeks time.  That's how it works with injuries.

Archived