2017 Attendance Thread

OFFNY

Down about 200 a game from last year. The last big crowd was the 25th stadium giveaway. The Oakland series will be low. Maybe 15,000 or so for Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday might be up over 18,000.  They do have the the Yankees and Boston in September but that is during the week and school will be in. The final attendance should be about 2.0 to 2.2 million.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Down about 200 a game from last year. The last big crowd was the 25th stadium giveaway. The Oakland series will be low. Maybe 15,000 or so for Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday might be up over 18,000.  They do have the the Yankees and Boston in September but that is during the week and school will be in. The final attendance should be about 2.0 to 2.2 million.

They have the high ticket prices yet again during the week for Boston and NY. Select prices. They know full well how Orioles fans operate by now. Unless incentive is given they wait and go to games on the weekend. There is a knit hat giveaway that will be a little boost one game. They are telling people that they are more interested in making more money off NY and Boston fans than attracting more Orioles fans. 

o

3-Game Set vs. ATHLETICS ))))))) (August 21st, 22nd, and 23rd)

16,020 )l) (34.8% Full)

18,493 )l) (40.2% Full)

20,072 )l) (43.7% Full)

TOTAL )llllll.lllll.lll.lllllllllll.lll.lllllllllllllllllll)  54,585

3-GAME AVERAGE lllllll.lllll.lllllllll18,195

o

o

3-Game Set vs. MARINERS ))))))) (August 28th, 29th, and 30th)

15,106 )l) (32.9% Full)

13,736 )l) (29.9% Full)

16,983 )l) (36.9% Full)

TOTAL )llllll.lllll.lll.lllllllllll.lll.lllllllllllllllllll)  45,825

3-GAME AVERAGE lllllll.lllll.lllllllll15,275

o

Just now, Going Underground said:

Down about 1,000 per game in attendance from last year. Sunday should be a decent crowd. Monday most of the bottom deck is gone. Brokers buy many of those tickets for the Yankees. Monday should be the biggest game attendance left for the year. Looks like around 2,1 or 2,2 million for the year.

I think the last Saturday of the year will do real well if we are still in it. Giveaway. Ravens also play at 930Am next day in London. That may help with crowd. Orioles should open up seating bowl early and put the game on...

On 8/21/2017 at 8:57 AM, eddie83 said:

They have the high ticket prices yet again during the week for Boston and NY. Select prices. They know full well how Orioles fans operate by now. Unless incentive is given they wait and go to games on the weekend. There is a knit hat giveaway that will be a little boost one game. They are telling people that they are more interested in making more money off NY and Boston fans than attracting more Orioles fans. 

Agreed... They just never "got it" after the "streak" ended... They could have partnered with the Science Center, Aquarium, etc. to make the "downtown experience" that included the O's, the O's Bird, Bud girls, etc.

.......but chose not to even after the "streak" ended. I worked @ the Md Science Center @ the time, and found Mr. Greg Bader (head) insufferable then and now. [ See how they "screwed me" on 12 tickets, when, due to an uncoming hurricane last year they changed the time of one of the games from 7pm to noon,  - not very doable for my family and friends]

Could be worst, though... Rays can't sell $20 tics for Boston, Yankee matchups. During the "riots" year, @ $10, open seating, downstairs only open seating, (reminded me of High Shool football games back in the day) about 56,000 came over the 3 day moved series, exceeding Rays normal attendance.  :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Personally, I'd remove 2-3 games from Season tic holders "mandatory purchases", make them $12 open seating days, 1st come, 1st serve, bottom only open and let some "real fans" get a chance to see how the "elite 1% ers" live - $50-200 zones!!!! :clap::clap:

Season tic folks can sit in the mezenene if they want to come to the game. maybe buy (or get free, as a perk, Greg Bader)  a piece of a suite! xD

BOLTONBOB Out!

IN BUCK I TRUST!

1 hour ago, BoltonBob said:

Agreed... They just never "got it" after the "streak" ended... They could have partnered with the Science Center, Aquarium, etc. to make the "downtown experience" that included the O's, the O's Bird, Bud girls, etc.

.......but chose not to even after the "streak" ended. I worked @ the Md Science Center @ the time, and found Mr. Greg Bader (head) insufferable then and now. [ See how they "screwed me" on 12 tickets, when, due to an uncoming hurricane last year they changed the time of one of the games from 7pm to noon,  - not very doable for my family and friends]

Could be worst, though... Rays can't sell $20 tics for Boston, Yankee matchups. During the "riots" year, @ $10, open seating, downstairs only open seating, (reminded me of High Shool football games back in the day) about 56,000 came over the 3 day moved series, exceeding Rays normal attendance.  :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Personally, I'd remove 2-3 games from Season tic holders "mandatory purchases", make them $12 open seating days, 1st come, 1st serve, bottom only open and let some "real fans" get a chance to see how the "elite 1% ers" live - $50-200 zones!!!! :clap::clap:

Season tic folks can sit in the mezenene if they want to come to the game. maybe buy (or get free, as a perk, Greg Bader)  a piece of a suite! xD

BOLTONBOB Out!

IN BUCK I TRUST!

They say the Orioles draw better during the week when school is out but they really don't. Look at the last four games when the Orioles got back into the wild card race. 15,000,14,000,17,000 and 14,000 rounded.They don't draw during the week school in or out.Also I really don't think the Orioles want a balanced schedule and lose Yankee and Red Sox games.During the week against those teams help and especially the weekends.They would lose revenue dollars. 

19 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

They say the Orioles draw better during the week when school is out but they really don't. Look at the last four games when the Orioles got back into the wild card race. 15,000,14,000,17,000 and 14,000 rounded.They don't draw during the week school in or out.Also I really don't think the Orioles want a balanced schedule and lose Yankee and Red Sox games.During the week against those teams help and especially the weekends.They would lose revenue dollars. 

August is always significantly slower than July, with so many people away on vacation.   

32 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I kind of disagree. I don't think the Yankees and Red Sox matter as much as they did years ago. Sure there are a lot of their fans around but as we can see the day of the week drives ticket sales. Now will Boston and NY help during the week, yes but it would be a bigger deal if they only came one series a year as opposed to 3. I think better marketing would help offset the loss of 12-13 NY/Boston games a year. I think when the team was bad that was when they needed the Yanks and Boston games more .

Just now, eddie83 said:

I kind of disagree. I don't think the Yankees and Red Sox matter as much as they did years ago. Sure there are a lot of their fans around but as we can see the day of the week drives ticket sales. Now will Boston and NY help during the week, yes but it would be a bigger deal if they only came one series a year as opposed to 3. I think better marketing would help offset the loss of 12-13 NY/Boston games a year. I think when the team was bad that was when they needed the Yanks and Boston games more .

They matter less to total attendance because the O's jack up the ticket prices when they're in town.  

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

August is always significantly slower than July, with so many people away on vacation.   

The Orioles only had 5 weekday games in July during the week. I know they were not playing well but drew 15,000,18,000,16,000,15,000 and 21,000. Not much better. The weekend series in August against the Tigers and Angels outdrew the Astros weekend series in July. That was because of giveaways. Not counting the Cubs series which drew well because they are the Cubs. 

2 hours ago, BoltonBob said:

BOLTONBOB Out!

IN BUCK I TRUST!

I don't know that I have the answers but I do know what they are doing isn't working. The person who can afford to go to one game this week isn't going to go during the week. They are going when it is more convenient for them. They definitely need to get local businesses involved to help during the week.

If anything I would not cut games from season holders I would give them a couple of free ones. Then if they offered reduced prices for some games season holders would not be taken advantage of. 

It drives me crazy when you see fans stuffed under the overhang in the terrace boxes in LF. It would look 10 times better on TV and make even sound a little louder if those people were in lower LF Box.

Most Friday games there is a big difference from the crowd at the start of game and say by the 3rd inning. It is a work day still, more people headed downtown, more walk up sales. Why not have 730 starts? 

The Ravens play in London the Orioles last home game of year, 930AM local. The Orioles have a kids giveaway that day but to me I see an easy marketing opportunity. I bet many local bars will be packed that morning. Do some tie in with the game. 

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They matter less to total attendance because the O's jack up the ticket prices when they're in town.  

Exactly. The division teams play more games in Baltimore every year than the Ravens do. 

And if your point is they are making money doing that, it comes at a cost of having fewer Orioles fans there. 

Archived