Adam Jones yesterday

Frobby

- Hustled to 1B on a nubber down the 1B line and was safe on Happ's throwing error.

- Hustled to 1B on a routine grounder to 3B and was safe on a throwing error.  

- With Hardy on 2B in a 0-0 game, lined a single to RF, headed to 2B expecting a throw to home plate, then got caught in a rundown long enough to let Hardy score after he initially had stopped at 3B.

- Slammed into the wall in RCF trying to make a catch in a game where the O's had a sizable lead.  

The guy plays hard all the time, and I love him for that, no matter what his flaws may be.    

This shows more leadership than anything he could ever say to his teammates. 

Also, normally I would be critical of crashing into the wall with a big lead, but he would have been able to hold up if he didn't trip on the travesty that is Toronto's turf. 

2 minutes ago, crissfan172 said:

This shows more leadership than anything he could ever say to his teammates. 

Also, normally I would be critical of crashing into the wall with a big lead, but he would have been able to hold up if he didn't trip on the travesty that is Toronto's turf. 

What a crappy field that is.    

The Jays should tear it out and give it to G-scale train gardens. It would save them the cost of the shortened careers and injuries sustained by Pillar and their other future outfielders. I know a baseball store in NY that cuts up thrown-away mats of artificial turf into drink coasters.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

- Hustled to 1B on a nubber down the 1B line and was safe on Happ's throwing error.

- Hustled to 1B on a routine grounder to 3B and was safe on a throwing error.  

- With Hardy on 2B in a 0-0 game, lined a single to RF, headed to 2B expecting a throw to home plate, then got caught in a rundown long enough to let Hardy score after he initially had stopped at 3B.

- Slammed into the wall in RCF trying to make a catch in a game where the O's had a sizable lead.  

The guy plays hard all the time, and I love him for that, no matter what his flaws may be.    

I actually think he should have made that catch if he put a better effort on it, he reached out for the catch in a pretty nonchalant fashion. I also don't think he slams into the wall if he doesn't trip. I, of course, do not disagree with the overall message here.

It was absolute lunacy that Buck didn't take him out of the game after that play.  We were up 10 runs!  I don't care what he says, Buck, you're the manager and you gotta tell him what's best for him there.  That's your job!

Still, that shows just how much respect he commands.  Buck probably wants to use that as an example for the rest of the team the mindset that he wants everybody to have.  I don't care if it's a 10 run game in the 8th inning in April - Adam's gonna run full bore into the wall, dang near knock himself out could, and then threaten to rip Buck's head off if he tries to take him out of the game.  Gotta respect that.

17 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Right, that's why it's special. It's very exceptional, and I think he deserves it.

In a practical sense, it's probably not a good idea to make Adam a captain for any future contract leverage with him.  It's a bad PR look to let your captain walk due to looking like you don't want to pony up the cash.  Otherwise, I completely agree.

41 minutes ago, LA2 said:

The Jays should tear it out and give it to G-scale train gardens. It would save them the cost of the shortened careers and injuries sustained by Pillar and their other future outfielders. I know a baseball store in NY that cuts up thrown-away mats of artificial turf into drink coasters.

That's what they had tried to poach Dan Duquette to do. Turn it into a turf field with an ongoing University of Ontario field study. 

Archived