If Smith goes to the DL, who is called up?

wildcard

26 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

I should have added that disclaimer of "The Orioles".  It was my fault for thinking that that was understood.  By now correcting my error that you did not understand, who have the Orioles kept long term that was a positional player and bounced back and forth to the Minors???

I'll give you three.  Brian Roberts, Bobby Grich, and Brady Anderson.    

Buck and Dan have not done it for good reason.  The position players that turned into regular for O's in the last five year have not had competition at the major league level that blocked them.  Manny nor Schoop.  Before that neither Adam nor Wieters had that kind of compitiion on team.   But Mullins and Mancini do.  Its a different situation.   The O's outfield has a lot of internal competition right now.   But if there with a  need for Mullins or Mancini to go back and forth between the majors and AAA there is no reason it can't happen without hurting their careers.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You said: "The history for players to get called up in position spots usually do not get returned willy-nilly as they are more in need of being consistently used at a young age and have trouble adjusting from a full-time roll to an occasional part time role."

I don't know about the willy-nilly part but Davis bounced between AAA and the majors for 3 years - yes, years.   And he turned out to be a keeper.  So I can't agree that position players can't go back and forth to AAA when needed.  And no it does not turn them into Reimold until they get hurt or continually  under perform when given a chance.   I see no reason to think the Mullins will turn into Reimold. To begin with he seems to be a good defensive player and baserunner which will earn him time in the majors.  I think Mancini could see more time in AAA and not ruin his career if that is the beat thing for the team.

I tend to agree that Dickerson may be a better choice.  But I would not be surprised to see Mullins promoted for 5 days and then returned to AA.

So, It won't be Mullins. Now are you on the Dickerson Train? I am. Adam Is. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't your observation about how some of these hitters (like Davis) used up their options support my argument that Mullins should not be called up now?

No.  First, Mullins is hurt.   Second, Its really about who is the best option for the team at the time.  3)  The Davis situation was a response to thezeros comment that position players must stay in the majors when they are called up which I showed is not true.  Mullins call up, if it ever happens.  Has nothing to do with Davis or being out of options.  It would have to do with him being the best option for the team at the time.

I am guessing that the major reason Buck talked about Mullins being injured is that reporters were asking him if Mullins was going to be called up.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Only ones I’d look to extend now are Gunnar, and maybe Holliday or Basallo. Premium defensive positions and young enough to not worry about going past their primes. Westburg would need to be a team friendly deal as he’s older and I wonder if we’re getting his best years now. 
    • I've never played in a beer league software league.  Is it drunk programming?  Sounds fun. Don't a lot of beer leagues limit the amount of Homeruns you can hit? With the way pitching and defense is currently don't all team struggle to score when they don't hit HR?  Seven players hit .300.  It's pretty hard to string together three hits in an inning with what pitching looks like these days.
    • Gunnar is the only one you worry about. I would still sign Holliday as well but I think Gunnar is the bigger fish to fry. I no longer would consider an extension for Adley. I would wait on anyone else.
    • Something that doesn't show up on the stat sheet is something like being able to hit behind the runner to advance him.   The O's have been successful in building an analytics offense.   Focus on hitting homeruns, develop a swing to achieve optimum launch angle and exit velocity to hit the ball over the fence.  Result is they have a team of beer league software players and not baseball players and struggle to score when not hitting homeruns.   Analytically, if you review their offensive rankings for the season, it says, nothing wrong with the offense, at least from a macro review, but we all know that this offense has issues.   Runs - 4th Home runs - 3rd AVG - 7th OBP - 11th SLG - 3rd OPS - 4th  K's - 18th (this was interesting to see considering how much they seem to strikeout) All of the above looks good, nothing to fix. The O's had 6 sacrifice hits for the season, ranking 30th.  Interestingly, Arizona who led the league in runs scored also led the league in sacrifice hits with 34.   The O's do not need to necessarily to focus on small ball, but they do need to be able to add that skillset to their offensive arsenal.  
    • Sounds like Buck. Anything to get a slight advantage. It’s something this team sorely misses. 
    • Detroit has been so much fun to watch. They have Skubal and literally 11 completely interchangeable pitchers who Hinch uses at any time and in any situation. They all can start games, throw in middle relief, and close. Every Tigers pitcher has to be ready to come in at any time because nobody other than Skubal actually has a defined role, which can certainly help keep them focused.  That guy Holton who started Game 1 in Cleveland closed Game 3 yesterday.  Of course he did! And Hinch seems to have complete faith in everybody, which I guess works since they all seem to have rubber arms and never get tired. It must be so annoying as an opposing manager to try and game plan against them or to be a hitter and have absolutely no idea who you are going to be facing until you actually walk up to the plate.  Not sure how long this "gimmick" will last, but it has been really enjoyable.
    • So if Westburg ends up being a very good but not MVP level player you aren't interesting in extending him at a team friendly rate? I disagree with your strategy. If you can lock up even a young 3 win player at a team friendly rate I say do it.
  • Popular Contributors