recruiting update

inmn

Apparently we're back in Jennings' top three, and we're in very good shape.

Good to hear. I've always heard that the hurrdle with him was qualifying. Any news if thats still a potential problem???

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good to hear. I've always heard that the hurrdle with him was qualifying. Any news if thats still a potential problem???

From what I've read, it's looking more likely that he will qualify, but who knows? I've also heard that he's possibly close to committing - assuming the academics are in order - but that's just a rumor. I won't get my hopes up quite yet. A week or so back it was supposedly going to be UConn or Memphis, maybe Arizona, but now he's listing Washington, Illinois, and Cal along with the Terps.

From what I've read, it's looking more likely that he will qualify, but who knows? I've also heard that he's possibly close to committing - assuming the academics are in order - but that's just a rumor. I won't get my hopes up quite yet. A week or so back it was supposedly going to be UConn or Memphis, maybe Arizona, but now he's listing Washington, Illinois, and Cal along with the Terps.

Pretty weird that it goes from Uconn, Memphis and Arizona to 3 new schools. It would be great to get him but like you said I'm not getting my hopes up, nor will I until he commits. Now if he were to commit I wonder if we will stay on Thomas hard and forget the wings/guards for this year or if we will try and take 3 in the class.

As I said before, looks like Terrence Jennings could be close to making a decision, and the Terps might be the team to beat, depending on if his academics are in order. Cal, Washington, Memphis, Illinois, and Uconn are also in the mix.

Quintrell Thomas and Jennings are both at the Reebok Camp in Philly. Gary is there too, so we might have a better idea what the frontcourt situation is in the next few weeks. Thomas is set to decide in August or September and has named us as the leader. Marquette and Rutgers are the other teams up at the top for him.

Sean Mosley is set to decide in November. Terps are in the top five with Syracuse, Virginia Tech, Florida State, and West Virginia. Other names on the Terps' radar include PG Terrell Holloway, SG Chris Turner, and SF Ray Willis.

Lots of names on the Terps radar for 2009 already. Foremost are the three players from Montrose Christian in Rockville - PF Isaiah Armwood (#8/#20 scout 50/rivals 75), SF Terrell Vinson (NR/#17), and SF Tristan Spurlock (#46/#27).

Vinson has been on the radar since early in his freshman season. He might want to follow in Durant's footsteps to Texas, and he likes UNC, but the Terps are in the early top 4 with Duke.

Armwood might be the best of the three. Villanova might be the early leader.

Spurlock has had a very good spring and summer season so far, and his stock has shot up considerably. Not much out there on who is recruiting him, but he seems to like the Terps and could be our best shot to get one of the three.

SG Maurice Creek (#43/#40) from Oxon Hill is a top priority in this class. The staff wanted him to commit early. Right now he has Maryland and Marquette on top.

SG Naji Hibbert (NR/#47) recently transferred from Saint Frances to Dematha. He has a Terps offer, along with ones from Miami and Clemson.

Two other local PF, Wally Judge (#37/#30) from Bladensburg and Donte Taylo (#32/#42) from National Christian Academy are on the radar. Judge has Maryland, Georgetown, Virginia, and Ohio State offers. Taylor lists Georgetown, Connecticut, Pitt, and Maryland but would seem to be a long shot.

Terps are also in on a lot of national big men.

OK C Daniel Orton (#15/#12) lists Maryland with Kansas and Oklahoma.

NC PF Karron Johnson (#21/#7) has Maryland, LSU, Virginia, and Memphis on the list.

NJ C Greg Echenique (#30/#49) has been on the radar for some time. He met with Gary back during the season when he visited. Villanova, Pitt, Kentucky, Maryland, Ohio State, Rutgers, and Syracuse are recruiting him.

VA PF Deshawn Painter (#11/#24) listed the Terps among his favorites a few days ago with Ohio State, Virginia, Florida, Louisville, Oklahoma, and Virginia Tech.

Top-75 NC C Terrence Jennings spoke of his recruiting experience recently and that Maryland, Memphis and Washington are his top three schools. "Maryland has been recruiting me the hardest since the very beginning," Jennings said, "and Memphis and Maryland I just like because of the fit. And Washington has good guards, which you know you have to have." Jennings said he'd like to commit soon. ...

wow, recruiting hard? who knew that could be accomplished from the golf course :D

Looks like Jennings could be done to Maryland pending admission. I mentioned that before but it looks like an even stronger possibility now. He had a very good showing at the Reebok camp, getting named to the all-star team.

• 2 weeks later...

This guy changes his top schools too much! Would love to get this guy even if it were only for a year. Maybe he could open up some doors for some other top guys to start looking more at MD. Maybe Gary is starting to adapt to a more new-school line of thinking when it comes to recruiting these big timers?

"Tuesday was the third day of action in the three big tournaments in Vegas. Five-star prospect Terrence Jennings was all over the rim in his afternoon game and also gave Rivals.com a surprising top three school list.

Just prior to scoring 18 points on 9-13 shooting in a 58-56 win over East Coast Fusion, Jennings said he has a top three list of Kentucky, Maryland and Washington. Kentucky wasn't seen in the gym watching him, but Gary Williams along with two assistants and an assistant from Washington were at the game. Jim Calhoun, Billy Donovan, Bruce Pearl, Kevin Stallings and Mark Fox were also taking in the action."

From rivals.com

This guy changes his top schools too much! Would love to get this guy even if it were only for a year. Maybe he could open up some doors for some other top guys to start looking more at MD. Maybe Gary is starting to adapt to a more new-school line of thinking when it comes to recruiting these big timers?

"Tuesday was the third day of action in the three big tournaments in Vegas. Five-star prospect Terrence Jennings was all over the rim in his afternoon game and also gave Rivals.com a surprising top three school list.

Just prior to scoring 18 points on 9-13 shooting in a 58-56 win over East Coast Fusion, Jennings said he has a top three list of Kentucky, Maryland and Washington. Kentucky wasn't seen in the gym watching him, but Gary Williams along with two assistants and an assistant from Washington were at the game. Jim Calhoun, Billy Donovan, Bruce Pearl, Kevin Stallings and Mark Fox were also taking in the action."

From rivals.com

LOL. It's a matter of time before some other big name schools get involved and then Maryland has no shot. That's how the scenario has played out many times before and it's probably how it will play out with Jennings.

LOL. It's a matter of time before some other big name schools get involved and then Maryland has no shot. That's how the scenario has played out many times before and it's probably how it will play out with Jennings.

Not really. The big boys already came calling months ago. Connecticut, Arizona, and Memphis were all heavily involved back in May or June, and it was thought he would be going to UConn or Memphis. Memphis is apparently still involved, but he hasn't mentioned them in some time. The two constants seem to be Maryland and Washington. We'll see where Kentucky fits into the picture.

In other news, Quintrell Thomas will announce in late August. He named the Terps as the leader about a month ago.

Not really. The big boys already came calling months ago. Connecticut, Arizona, and Memphis were all heavily involved back in May or June, and it was thought he would be going to UConn or Memphis. Memphis is apparently still involved, but he hasn't mentioned them in some time. The two constants seem to be Maryland and Washington. We'll see where Kentucky fits into the picture.

In other news, Quintrell Thomas will announce in late August. He named the Terps as the leader about a month ago.

Does that present the Terps with a dilemna - if Thomas wants to come here? If they think there's a good chance that they'll get Jennings, and Thomas wants to make a decision before Jennings - do they say yes to Thomas?

Does that present the Terps with a dilemna - if Thomas wants to come here? If they think there's a good chance that they'll get Jennings, and Thomas wants to make a decision before Jennings - do they say yes to Thomas?

I'm pretty sure they would take both guys, it's not an either or situation. However, if for whatever reason they only want to take one or a Thomas commit hurts the chances with Jennings then you don't risk losing both and take Thomas.

Archived