Buck Showalter for AL manager of the year?

vab

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We're better at getting blown out. Our hitters no when to stop trying. 

We have been beaten by 5+ runs 13 times this year, by an aggregate score of 133-35.     In seven of those games we gave up 11+ runs.    

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2017 at 7:33 PM, OFFNY said:

o

The Orioles just snapped a string of 20 consecutive games of ceding 5 or more runs in a game.

They needed their best starting pitcher to have a good game to do it.

And they are 36-38 overall ...... and that includes a 22-17 record against other AL East opponents, not exactly a pushover division.

I don't think that Showalter will get AL Manger of the Year. In fact, I don't think that he will even get any votes unless the Orioles can somehow manage to win at least 83 or 84 games. But with what he has had to work with, I think that one would be hard-pressed to find anyone that could be doing any better than he has done with the team that he has had to work with.

o

o

(9-PLUS WEEKS LATER)

Thanks to the starting rotation having done a reasonable job of turning things around over the past 30 days, and the offense putting up some gaudy numbers as of late, the Orioles' Pythagorean record is now almost as good as their actual record.

Again, I seriously doubt that Showalter will be awarded AL Manager of the Year, but if the Orioles wind up with a winning season after having to have dealt with historically bad starting pitching for more than half of the season, I think that one could make the argument that he deserves some votes.

o

As always, Buck has done a very good job.    For some reason, though, I find myself questioning his playing time allocations and in-game decisions more than usual this year.    Admittedly, he is often faced with a no-win choice of leaving a shaky starter in too long or overtaxing an already overtaxed bullpen.  In that way, his job is probably harder than ever this year.    I'm looking forward to September, when Buck has always excelled at using the extra manpower available to him.    

On 6/30/2017 at 3:27 PM, OFFNY said:

o

In the Orioles Win, Yankees Lose threadRuzious posted:

The Orioles' run differential for the season: - 65.  

The Yankees' run differential for the season: + 103.    

The Yankees are ahead of the Orioles by just 3.5 games.  

o

Those numbers will be even more impressive after we reduce that 3.5 tomorrow.

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2017 at 7:33 PM, OFFNY said:

o

The Orioles just snapped a string of 20 consecutive games of ceding 5 or more runs in a game.

They needed their best starting pitcher to have a good game to do it.

And they are 36-38 overall ...... and that includes a 22-17 record against other AL East opponents, not exactly a pushover division.

I don't think that Showalter will get AL Manger of the Year. In fact, I don't think that he will even get any votes unless the Orioles can somehow manage to win at least 83 or 84 games. But with what he has had to work with, I think that one would be hard-pressed to find anyone that could be doing any better than he has done with the team that he has had to work with.

o

On 6/30/2017 at 3:27 PM, OFFNY said:

o

In the Orioles Win, Yankees Lose threadRuzious posted:

The Orioles' run differential for the season: - 65.  

The Yankees' run differential for the season: + 103.    

The Yankees are ahead of the Orioles by just 3.5 games.  

o

o

The Orioles' 4-19 finish in their final 23 games of the season not only wiped out any chance for Showalter being voted the American League'"Manager of the Year" award, but it also dispelled the notion of him even getting a few votes from the voters in the process (something that I cannot disagree with.)

However, as I have stated numerous times in other threads, with the historically bad starting pitching (the worst in the Major Leagues this season) and the subsequently extremely overworked bullpen that the Orioles had this past season (minus Zach Britton, their best relief pitcher for half the season), I think that it is a minor miracle that the team managed to finish with the  75-87 overall record that the Orioles had in 2017. 

Under those circumstances, I would expect a team like that to finish with a record somewhere between 59-103 and 67-95 ........ nowhere near the 75-87 that the Orioles finished with.

o

Archived