Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

6 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

And his value has been dropping ever since.  He got hurt and has a 1.80 WHIP.

Meanwhile, Wilson is having a monster year THIS YEAR.  And has the same control.

Britton's value is still higher, but much higher?  I doubt it.

Oh, and Wilson is significantly cheaper and came with Alex Avila.

So? he still has been one of the games best closers for the past few years and is hit 98 today and his stuff is clearly still there. He's way better than Wilson. Pretty much every insider has said that if they had their choice of RP's at the deadline Britton is far and away the guy because although he has had his ups and downs, he has the biggest chance of providing the biggest power shift of any of the guys out there. When Britton is on, he is arguably the best closer in the game. Wilson doesn't come close to any of that talk nor has the stuff to give anyone that type of thought. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ISU94 said:

So? he still has been one of the games best closers for the past few years and is hit 98 today and his stuff is clearly still there. He's way better than Wilson. Pretty much every insider has said that if they had their choice of RP's at the deadline Britton is far and away the guy because although he has had his ups and downs, he has the biggest chance of providing the biggest power shift of any of the guys out there. When Britton is on, he is arguably the best closer in the game. Wilson doesn't come close to any of that talk nor has the stuff to give anyone that type of thought. 

Britton looked damned good today. And IIRC, he just pitched in back-to-back games while hitting 97 today. Alledgedly that was one criteria scouts were looking for. 

Wilson isn't having a monster year. He's been as valuable as Brach. He got what I expect Brach to get when he gets traded. A top 100 prospect 

Britton has more value because he can be rivera style dominant and teams want that in October

Just now, 99ct said:

Britton looked damned good today. And IIRC, he just pitched in back-to-back games while hitting 97 today. Alledgedly that was one criteria scouts were looking for. 

98*, aka the highest he's hit since coming back.

Sure, teams dont want to see a guy they are trading for struggling at any point. But the scouts are much more interested in seeing the velocity, stuff, and that they are healthy than the results. They don't need him to be vintage Britton in July/August. They need him to be vintage Britton come playoff time...that's plenty of time for him to get that control back. The velo and nastiness is already there.

5 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Of course he's better than Wilson.  I've never argued otherwise.  You say "when Britton is on...", but he hasn't been on this year.  You can't pretend that doesn't matter.  Teams have been concerned about his injury and poor performance.  He's looked better of late, maybe that will sway a team to give up a Chapman/Miller haul, but I'm not counting on it.

Just now, ArtVanDelay said:

Of course he's better than Wilson.  I've never argued otherwise.  You say "when Britton is on...", but he hasn't been on this year.  You can't pretend that doesn't matter.  Teams have been concerned about his injury and poor performance.  He's looked better of late, maybe that will sway a team to give up a Chapman/Miller haul, but I'm not counting on it.

I never said it had no impact that he's had struggles, but you act like because of his struggles we are going to get some lowly package of something like Wilson who is honestly more similar to a guy like Brach value wise. There's no way Britton is only going to get a guy that is MAYBE a fringe top 100, a high upside 18 yr old, and a PTBNL. 

Multiple outlets have already said that Britton is easily the most sought after RP on the market due to his impact he will have in the playoffs/divisional races and that he has by far the most upside on the market.

I will say, Britton sure looked "on" today to me. As long as he's showing that it's still there (which he has on multiple occasions. One game where he allowed a couple of runs due to ground balls that found holes and ONE hard hit ball aren't going to scare a team away. Literally his only problem has been he has had struggle locating at times. He hit 98 on a day where he pitched the night before (something he hasn't done and something that teams wanted to see before they wanted to go all in on a package according to Heyman or some other insider if I remember right). 

If all we get is a package like what Wilson just got, we are keeping him...and I hope we do. That is a deal I would be intrigued with for Brach...not Britton.

1 hour ago, rudyrooster said:

From what I've seen of him I might be willing to trade Zach "straight up" for Martes.  That might sound crazy, but Martes is a "hoss" and under cost control for about the next 4 or 5 seasons.  Let's face it, the O's ain't gonna pay Zach 12-13 million next year to be our closer--just ain't gonna happen.

I disagree--the O's will pay that to Britton, as long as it's a one year deal and as long as there are no more injury setbacks this year.  They weren't willing to pay Johnson that much, because they realized that Johnson wasn't that good.  Britton is easily worth $12-13 million if he returns to his 2016 form.  

13 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I disagree--the O's will pay that to Britton, as long as it's a one year deal and as long as there are no more injury setbacks this year.  They weren't willing to pay Johnson that much, because they realized that Johnson wasn't that good.  Britton is easily worth $12-13 million if he returns to his 2016 form.  

Especially because if they trade him next year they will only pay about $8M.

12 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

They might if they can't trade him first.

Archived