POLL: Yay or nay on Beckham trade?

PaulFolk

POLL: Do you like the Tim Beckham trade?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Tim Beckham trade?

• Yes. Beckham is under control through 2020 and could be the SS of the future.
    • No. We should be acquiring prospects, not trading them away.
    • Meh. Nothing lost, nothing gained.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Which is why he shouldn't be evaluated based on this year. He has the tools to be an above average  defensive SS. Give him next year with Dickerson and see. Nobody better in he organization right now.

I agree with the bottom line. But when I see other SSs around MLB, it pretty clear to me that Beckham will never be above average (or even average) defensively. He also doesn't seem to have the "captain-of-the-infield" qualities of a JJ Hardy, though I may be wrong about that.

I do think Beckham can hold down the position at a reasonable cost for a couple of years. I hope by then we have a better alternative.

11 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I agree with the bottom line. But when I see other SSs around MLB, it pretty clear to me that Beckham will never be above average (or even average) defensively. He also doesn't seem to have the "captain-of-the-infield" qualities of a JJ Hardy, though I may be wrong about that.

I do think Beckham can hold down the position at a reasonable cost for a couple of years. I hope by then we have a better alternative.

He was above average last season with an UZR/150 of 2.8. It was his only full season at SS. Prior to that he never played more than 207 IN at SS at the ML level. Too soon to judge him.

22 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Not really. Doesn't have the tools Beckham has. 2B is his best position.

Villar should get some SS time, he certainly has the defensive potential to be good. His play at second has been great, so if he stinks at SS plug him back at second. As for tools, Villar is better defensively, running, and hitting for average. Beckham has a stronger arm and more pop. Success at SS would only increase his value.

55 minutes ago, Thato'sfan said:

Villar should get some SS time, he certainly has the defensive potential to be good. His play at second has been great, so if he stinks at SS plug him back at second. As for tools, Villar is better defensively, running, and hitting for average. Beckham has a stronger arm and more pop. Success at SS would only increase his value.

The numbers don't agree with you, Career UZR/150 in 2293.2 IN -20.1, Beckham -3.9 in 1780 IN.  If Villar was a SS he'd already be playing there

• 3 weeks later...

o

A solo shot gets the Orioles on the board early in the game against the Yanks.

(vs. YANKEES, 9/23)

NUMBER 11

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

o

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

A solo shot gets the Orioles on the board early in the game against the Yanks.

(vs. YANKEES, 9/23)

NUMBER 11

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

o

o

A second home run helps put the Orioles over the top in a comeback win.

(vs. YANKEES, 9/23)

NUMBER 12

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

TIMOTHY LAMAR BECKHAM

o

Archived