Fangraphs: Larceny

weams

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having Beckham makes DD's job easier this winter. You know they're going to be trying to contend again in 2018, and now that we have what seems to be a solid SS plan there aren't any major holes to fill on the offensive side. 

Now we just need to find three starting pitchers. How hard could it be? ;)

3 hours ago, El Gordo said:

He has the tools to be an above average SS. He also has the best mentors in Hardy and Dickerson. If he applies himself like Schoop and Manny did. he should get better.

This sounds like what I said  when the trade was made. 

From the article: by Dave Cameron - August 15, 2017

"Quietly, Dan Duquette might have made the best trade of July."

That pretty interesting considering that the Yankees got  Sonny Gray. The Dodgers got Darvish.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

It's a good article, but I don't think we "stole" Beckham.     Tobias Myers is a pretty interesting prospect and he's off to a good start in the Tampa system.     I think it's entirely possible that this trade will benefit both teams.

There's a world of achievement between being an interesting prospect in the very low minors and tearing the cover off the ball in the American League.  You're looking at this trade with bias.  It's likely that Myers will subside into mediocrity and never reach the majors along with scores of other one-time phenoms.  Even if Beckham's amazing hot streak at the bat subsides and his defense never gets better,  he's still a major league starter.  Small chance that Myers will ever be able to make that claim.

4 minutes ago, Since'54 said:

There's a world of achievement between being an interesting prospect in the very low minors and tearing the cover off the ball in the American League.  You're looking at this trade with bias.  It's likely that Myers will subside into mediocrity and never reach the majors along with scores of other one-time phenoms.  Even if Beckham's amazing hot streak at the bat subsides and his defense never gets better,  he's still a major league starter.  Small chance that Myers will ever be able to make that claim.

Why do you say that I'm looking at this trade with bias?     I didn't say it was a bad trade.    I just wouldn't say we "stole" Beckham.   Maybe you can draw that conclusion five years from now, but you can't say it today.    

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why do you say that I'm looking at this trade with bias?     I didn't say it was a bad trade.    I just wouldn't say we "stole" Beckham.   Maybe you can draw that conclusion five years from now, but you can't say it today.    

Because I think there's a reasonable chance that Beckham can go down as one of the top Bird shortstops ever.  And yes, I remember them all.  I don't think there's a reasonable judgment that a young pitcher who has so far proven very little will ever be listed with our pitching icons. Could it happen? Of course!  Will it happen? History says not likely.

10 minutes ago, Since'54 said:

Because I think there's a reasonable chance that Beckham can go down as one of the top Bird shortstops ever.  And yes, I remember them all.  I don't think there's a reasonable judgment that a young pitcher who has so far proven very little will ever be listed with our pitching icons. Could it happen? Of course!  Will it happen? History says not likely.

I don't think it's reasonable.

I would go more with conceivable.

45 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think it's reasonable.

I would go more with conceivable.

Let me put it this way:  If I'm wagering the rent money on who has an impact career in the major leagues,  I'm four-square behind Beckham.  As to Myers,  good luck to him.  Let's not forget that he is one twinge of "forearm tightness" away from obscurity.

7 minutes ago, Since'54 said:

Let me put it this way:  If I'm wagering the rent money on who has an impact career in the major leagues,  I'm four-square behind Beckham.  As to Myers,  good luck to him.  Let's not forget that he is one twinge of "forearm tightness" away from obscurity.

Sure.

Just keep in mind that Beckham isn't young by baseball standards and is probably who he is by this point.  If he turns into a Hardy level player from 28-30 I'll be tickled.

1 hour ago, Since'54 said:

That is your opinion.   If my opinion is different, then why am I "biased?"   The truth is, I'm very open-minded about how this will turn out, and have said that from the beginning.    

2 hours ago, Since'54 said:

Confucius say Os fan who bet rent $ against pitchers traded by DD at deadline have sky for roof.

Archived