Unwritten rules of baseball

gcates9898

You know there is an unwritten rule of baseball that says a starter does NOT lose his job because of an injury. We all have seen what a fantastic month of July that Tim  Beckham has had. However, he is the replacement for the starter, JJ Hardy, who suffered an injury while at bat. JJ is now back from his DL assignment.  He was the starter. Buck you need to face up to the unwritten rule and put JJ back in the starting lineup. Yes, Beckham had a fantastic first month at the bat with the Orioles. Yet he has gone stone cold in September. JJ was the starter before he was injured. Follow the rules. Restore JJ to the lineup. Anf by the way, Beckham had 7 errors at shortstop in one month. WHEN has JJ ever had 7 errors in a single month?

Granted. JJ was having a bad year. Does not alter the unwritten rule. JJ finishes the year and Beckham has the opportunity to become the starter next year. In any case, JJ would not have committed those 7 errors. Don't have the exact number, but 3 or 4 of them were lackadaisical throwing errors. One thing you can never say is that JJ made a lackadisical throwing error. His throws are spot on.

Just now, gcates9898 said:

Granted. JJ was having a bad year. Does not alter the unwritten rule. JJ finishes the year and Beckham has the opportunity to become the starter next year. In any case, JJ would not have committed those 7 errors. Don't have the exact number, but 3 or 4 of them were lackadaisical throwing errors. One thing you can never say is that JJ made a lackadisical throwing error. His throws are spot on.

You know what I say, pitching wins are stupid, wait...oh right errors ...what do I say about errors?  Right, got it, can't get an error on a ball you don't reach.

Hardy has looked done all year.  O's did him a favor by DFAing a player to put him back on the 40 man.  I'd have cut him.

I have to believe that the OP is in jest. Even if you accept the general idea that a starter gets his job back, there are exceptions to every rule as everyone knows. JJ is done. I hope that he returns next year as a coach I really do. I for one would argue he has been the glue that has held the Os together in their resurgence of an Oriole Way. 

But he was not handling the job before he lost it and no one really thinks he would be an option for a starting role at SS on any MLB team.  No, the honorable thing was to put him back on the roster and he will get a curtain call in Baltimore, but it is silly to argue on any level that he should be returned to an everyday role for the Os. 

To put it bluntly, if we are playing to win, he weakens us considerably, and if we are playing to see into the future, it is already clear his time on the field is done. 

On the other hand, JJ Hardy has been a model Oriole and one of my favorites ever. And I sincerely hope the Os find a way to use him. 

Buck plays by one rule....you play to win the game.  Buck always gives vets the benefit of the doubt but there comes a point when you play to win the game.  Love JJ but his days as productive every day player (on a playoff contender) are done.

25 minutes ago, Br10n said:

Buck plays by one rule....you play to win the game.  Buck always gives vets the benefit of the doubt but there comes a point when you play to win the game.  Love JJ but his days as productive every day player (on a playoff contender) are done.

You forgot the save rule.

39 minutes ago, Br10n said:

I think there is a lot of nonsense in that statement.

Hardy is currently on the team and Ubaldo, Tillman and Smith are getting playing time because they are free agents next season and Buck doesn't want to undercut them by benching them in favor of younger players.

Buck often acts to protect and support his veteran players instead of taking actions that might increase the odds of winning a particular game.

12 hours ago, gcates9898 said:

I'm amused that an unwritten rule can be considered unalterable... wonder how Wally Pipp feels about it...?

I don't have strong feelings about JJ v Beckham, but I admired Hardy for several years, and letting him start a handful of games during our next home stand would seem appropriate.  But I also think it's clear that Hardy is the past and Beckham is the future (if the Os want him to be).  And if I felt the Os could make the wildcard, I would be very vocal in my insistence that Beckham start, if only for his bat in the lineup, which would be needed to help overcome our pitching woes...

1 minute ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I'd like to see Hardy back at SS and Hays in RF for rest of the season. Maybe bench Davis and give Beckham a few games in LF.

Why?  Those moves would be purely looking towards 2018. We seem to have some pretty realistic pieces for the outfield already. Know what we don't have?  Is a SS.   You may not like Beckham and that is fine, though I disagree. But it will NOT be Hardy. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think there is a lot of nonsense in that statement.

Hardy is currently on the team and Ubaldo, Tillman and Smith are getting playing time because they are free agents next season and Buck doesn't want to undercut them by benching them in favor of younger players.

Buck often acts to protect and support his veteran players instead of taking actions that might increase the odds of winning a particular game.

You and I may disagree with Buck on decisions and his loyalty to veterans, but I find it hard to believe that Bucks thinks Player A is better in a situation but he plays Player B simply because they are going to be free agents next year.  Especially with starting pitchers this year, there are a general lack of good options.

Archived