Build your 2018 Team

Bahama O's Fan

38 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Would be very interested to see webbrick make a small list of what things he would actually like to see DONE for next year's roster, instead of just ripping on the current roster and whatever moves Duquette makes in the off season.

For example, who would you play at CF and SS next year sir?

Sorry there is no solution for 2018 or for that matter 2019

We should have been plugging in the talent returned in the Jim Johnson, Chris Davis, Darren O'day and Zach Britton trades + the Trumbo, and Gallardo draft picks

My plan would be to cut payroll, play the guys in the system lose 100+ games the next 2 years and draft and develop the next competitive team.

The talent that DD has given away can not be compensated for in the short term, we are desperately in need of a 3-5 year plan with a couple years of really bad teams

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Sorry there is no solution for 2018 or for that matter 2019

We should have been plugging in the talent returned in the Jim Johnson, Chris Davis, Darren O'day and Zach Britton trades + the Trumbo, and Gallardo draft picks

My plan would be to cut payroll, play the guys in the system lose 100+ games the next 2 years and draft and develop the next competitive team.

The talent that DD has given away can not be compensated for in the short term, we are desperately in need of a 3-5 year plan with a couple years of really bad teams

If the plan is to lose 100+ games the next two seasons, why would you play guys like Hays, Sisco, Santander, etc? Why not keep them in the minors so they don't accrue service time?

13 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

If the plan is to lose 100+ games the next two seasons, why would you play guys like Hays, Sisco, Santander, etc? Why not keep them in the minors so they don't accrue service time?

Yeah, get a bunch of AAAA cheap players and do like the owner in Major League intended.

14 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

That's a good strategy. Are you advocating a rebuild?

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

No, I don't advocate a rebuild.  I'm just pointing out that we shouldn't waste service time if we do choose to tank (we won't).  I would trade Britton and Brach, and Trumbo if I could (we were able to move Gallardo).

My mind could be changed if we got crazy offers for Manny and Schoop.

Position wise, we are in good shape, imo.  If we can get to mediocre from historically bad with our SP, we can compete.  It's a tall task though.

18 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

It doesn't matter what I'm advocating, a rebuild will not happen with Dan and Buck not having extensions. They are going for it, so what would you think is the best way to do that, given the parameters that they have?

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

It doesn't matter what I'm advocating, a rebuild will not happen with Dan and Buck not having extensions. They are going for it, so what would you think is the best way to do that, given the parameters that they have?

SP is obviously the big hole.  I just don't see how you adequately fix it without trades.  

OK, without trades...here we go...

C: Sisco/Joseph platoon

1B: Chris Davis

2B: Jon Schoop

SS: Tim Beckham

3B: Manny Machado

LF: Anthony Santander (vs R) Trey Mancini (vs L)

CF: Austin Hays (vs L), Jarrod Dyson (vs R)

RF: Adam Jones 

DH: Mancini (vs R), Trumbo (vs L)

(Trumbo could also get some starts over Chris Davis if hitting well)(Hays and Dyson as defensive replacement, with Hays being eased into a full time role)(Jones could play some CF too, but probably better for his health/defense to play the corner)

Utility: Eric Sogard (plays 2B, SS, 3B solidly and doesn't kill you with the bat)

Rotation

Dylan Bundy

Kevin Gausman

Tyler Chatwood

Miguel Gonzalez

Gabriel Ynoa

Bullpen

Brad Brach

Mychal Givens

Zach Britton

Darren O'Day

Tommy Hunter

Tanner Scott

Miguel Castro

Free Agent signings cost about 36m in salary for 2018, most expiring after this season or next (Chatwood is a 3/4 year deal, Miggy 1/2 year, Dyson 1/2 year, Hunter 1/2 year, Sogard 1 year).

That, along with generous arbitriation increases would put the team Payroll at about 160m, about 5 million down from this year.  Use the money if already budgeted for better nutrition/support for prospects.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see how you adequately fix it even with trades.

Flaherty for Kershaw

Trumbo for Scherzer

Boom!

Seriously though, it's obvious that guys like Chatwood, Cobb, Chacin, etc would improve the rotation.  But I don't want to give them what I think they'll end up getting.  Then we'll be trotting them out there in 2021 like we did Jimenez.

4 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Flaherty for Kershaw

Trumbo for Scherzer

Boom!

Seriously though, it's obvious that guys like Chatwood, Cobb, Chacin, etc would improve the rotation.  But I don't want to give them what I think they'll end up getting.  Then we'll be trotting them out there in 2021 like we did Jimenez.

Going to have to get the Dodgers and Nats to eat some of that money.

Well, I'm going to try and remain realistic. I'd imagine the most the O's pay for a starting pitcher is $12-$15m/year and for at most 4 years. 

This team realistically needs 4-5 starting pitchers. 

Potentials that make sense cost wise: 

• Alex Cobb 
  • Michael Pineda
  • Jhoulys Chacin 

I'd bring back Tillman on a minor league contract. And sign Doug Fister on a 1 year incentive laden deal for depth.

There's no way Angelos/Duquette sign a Yu Darvish/Jake Arrieta/Lance Lynn type. 

That should shore up the rotation. The bullpen is pretty much set at this point. There's not much turnover there.

Your 3B (Manny), SS (Beckham), 2B (Schoop) and 1B (Davis) are all set.

CF (Jones), LF (Mancini), RF (Hays).

DH is Trumbo

Hope Castillo doesn't pick up his option. If he does...worse things. It's only $7m. So your C situation would be Sisco and and Joseph.

Bench would be Rickard, {signanyrando} utility and 2 others that I don't care about

Unfortunately this club has little to no flexibility in regards to the offense as they're stuck w/ Davis and Trumbo. So there's really only bench/platoon positions available.

Archived