Roch has been told the O's need 4 more starters

wildcard

I see Tillman coming back next year. Ynoa has MLB stuff. Castro has good makeup but low K totals. We should try Brach as a SP he has 3 plus pitches and a repeatable delivery. I could see Harvey getting some consideration a lot sooner than any of us would think. 

My FA prediction would be a guy like Jaime Garcia. Maybe Gonzo too. 

We are really unbalanced payroll wise with the bullpen making so much money. We either need to try Brach as a SP or trade him. Can't have 40 million tied up in the bullpen next year. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I see Tillman coming back next year. Ynoa has MLB stuff. Castro has good makeup but low K totals. We should try Brach as a SP he has 3 plus pitches and a repeatable delivery. I could see Harvey getting some consideration a lot sooner than any of us would think. 

My FA prediction would be a guy like Jaime Garcia. Maybe Gonzo too. 

We are really unbalanced payroll wise with the bullpen making so much money. We either need to try Brach as a SP or trade him. Can't have 40 million tied up in the bullpen next year. 

I don’t see them trying Brach as a starter. I’d like Garcia as a FA signing. I wanted Ynoa to get the starts he did, but he needs improvement if he’s going to stick. Same goes for Castro.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

The national writers are just guessing; they know absolutely nothing.    I'd say if you were to pick a favorite among the 30 teams to get Tillman, the Orioles would be at least twice as likely as any other specific team, due to the familiarity factor.     But at the same time, the odds that Tillman goes to one of the other 29 teams rather than the Orioles are probably 80% or higher.

Explain this one to me.

If there is a 20% chance that the O's sign Tillman then there are 8 others teams that have a 10% chance.  I doubt there are 8 other teams that would take a chance on Tillman.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Explain this one to me.

If there is a 20% chance that the O's sign Tillman then there are 8 others teams that have a 10% chance.  I doubt there are 8 other teams that would take a chance on Tillman.

Sure there are.   But not all on the same terms.  

On 9/27/2017 at 2:27 PM, spiritof66 said:

Why do you say that?

Brady seems like a bright guy, and it appears he is pretty popular among a lot of people around the Orioles. But I don't know much about what he's contributed since his retirement as a player.

I know about his off-season conditioning program. I know that he does some in-season coaching. I know that he was involved in the negotiations with Trumbo and O'Day. I understand that he has the owner's ear, suggesting to me that the owner trusts his judgment on baseball matters. I've read that he does not report to Duquette or anyone else, so that he has access to the owner directly without going through any  organizational chain. I've read that his unusual role was a factor in the departure of Wallace and Chiti. But that's about it. 

Why do you (or why does anyone else) think Brady would be successful if he replaced Duquette this off-season or next ? 

On 10/6/2017 at 2:58 PM, OFFNY said:

o

As I have stated before, I would love it if the Orioles would sign Lance Lynn to take some pressure off of Bundy and Gausman (of feeling like they have to win almost every time out), plus it would give the Orioles some more breathing room for the #4 and #5 spots.

Ideally I would like to see them add 2 solid starting pitchers from free agency, but realistically for a mid-market team like the Orioles (especially with the impending free agency in the relatively near future of both Manny Machado and Jonathan Schoop), I would be happy with one major addition to the starting rotation via free agency ...... a bonafide solid starter, not wing-and-a-prayer types like Gallardo and Jimenez.

o

I like Lynn quite a bit, but he doesn't make sense for this team. Why would a team teetering on the edge of a rebuild give a 5 year deal (which is what it will take) to a 30 year old pitcher? 

I've said it before, but I really think the only way for the Orioles to obtain a difference maker type SP is through a trade...which doesn't play to Duquette's strength. 

13 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I'm okay with the first option. Vargas is a bit too old. Cashier might cost more. The other two don't interest me nor does Miggy. I would look into the trade market.

"Cashier" was a nice unintentionally appropriate slip...because after the season he had he's definitely going to make someone pay heavily for his services. At least we know he won't be spending all that money on razors!

15 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I think it’s quite possible Tillman gets a ML offer that is better than what the Orioles offer.

It better be a lot better.   Chris has already gotten 22m from the O's.  10m of which I am sure he does think he earned.   He a straight up guy..  He knows he will be comfortable trying a comeback with the O's.   Any where else is  adding another  unknown to a already tough situation.     

I think it will be hard for Chris to leave the O's if they give him a fair offer.   It should be done soon.  He has to start his rehab after about a month of rest.   Staying at his Sarasota home and rehabbing at the O's Sarasota facility with the strengthen and conditioning folks he knows has to be very inviting to him.

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It better be a lot better.   Chris has already gotten 22m from the O's.  10m of which I am sure he does think he earned.   He a straight up guy..  He knows he will be comfortable trying a comeback with the O's.   Any where else is  adding another  unknown to a already tough situation.     

I think it will be hard for Chris to leave the O's if they give him a fair offer.   It should be done soon.  He has to start his rehab after about a month of rest.   Staying at his Sarasota home and rehabbing at the O's Sarasota facility with the strengthen and conditioning folks he knows has to be very inviting to him.

I think if the Pirates offer him $2mm (plus incentives) and the opportunity to work with Ray Searage, he'd be a fool to not take it, even if the O's offer him a larger guarantee. And the Pirates train in Bradenton, about 15 minutes north of Sarasota.

37 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I think if the Pirates offer him $2mm (plus incentives) and the opportunity to work with Ray Searage, he'd be a fool to not take it, even if the O's offer him a larger guarantee. And the Pirates train in Bradenton, about 15 minutes north of Sarasota.

I've driven that and its not 15 minutes.  But that is neither here nor there.   Its close enough.  Your point on the Pirates is a good one.  I don't see the O's letting that happen.   Chris doesn't know the National league hitters or the parks.  Its all new to him.  He doesn't have his friends in Pittsburgh.   I think the O's have a big edge on signing him if they want him.  

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I've driven that and its not 15 minutes.  

It's about 15 miles, but takes about half an hour.    I doubt spring training location is going to be a big factor in Tillman's decision.  

Archived