Orioles Roster Review: Replaceable Position Players

PressBoxOnline

15 minutes ago, PressBoxOnline said:

Rich Dubroff breaks down the Orioles' 2017 roster with a look at the position players who are likely to be replaced, some who could be replaced and some who already have.

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2017/10/09/2017-orioles-roster-review-part-one-the-replaceable-position-players

I agree with most of this.  But I wouldn't count Hardy gone just yet.   If he does not get a better offer the O's may want him as UIF and mentor to Beckham.  Buck wants to improve the defense.  Beckham is a 20+ error SS as of right now.  There is a lot of work for him to do to get better.  Bobby Dickerson will help him but Hardy could be added to assist in his defensive growth.

I think Hardy can easily adjust to playing 2B and 3B.

28 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I guess it's nice that Flaherty is a LH hitter and the and the 3B/SS/2B are RH hitters but his .645 career OPS against RHP and whether his replacement is a RH hitter or not doesn't scare me a whole lot.

Uncertain that Hardy is capable of much higher. 

53 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

What difference does it make? The utility infielder is never used as a pinch-hitter. Heck, he hardly ever even starts.

Assumed they needed two left-handed bats off the bench. Santander could count as one. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I hadn't heard that Paul Janish had retired to take a coaching position at Rice.    He was a class act and an excellent defender.     I bet he'll make a good coach.   

He actually retired before the minor season was over so he could be available to Rice when school started.

58 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure that 2018 is the season that Buck gives his regulars a rest now and then.

Davis will be 32 next season. He's going to need some time off, even if it's just to help keep his strikeout rate below 50%.

1 hour ago, weams said:

Uncertain that Hardy is capable of much higher. 

Probably not but Hardy can be a mentor to Beckham.   Flaherty does not have that status.  Getting Beckham to be a better defensive player is more important than how the UIF hits.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Probably not but Hardy can be a mentor to Beckham.   Flaherty does not have that status.  Getting Beckham to be a better defensive player is more important than how the UIF hits.

I suspect it may be neither. 

34 minutes ago, weams said:

Assumed they needed two left-handed bats off the bench. Santander could count as one. 

The utility infielder doesn't count as a "bat." At least it hasn't in the last 5 years. The Orioles want their utility guy to be someone who can play all the infield positions at least capably. Offense, not so much.

Now if you're saying the Orioles should try to find a utility guy who can actually hit, I'm certainly on board with that. Neither Flaherty nor Hardy fits that description.

Archived