Offseason Trade Ideas thread

Luke-OH

18 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I agree.  Someone would top Mountcastle + a lottery ticket. 

Would you like a trade of Bundy for a prospect like Mountcastle and a lottery pick? I didn't think so. No chance at all that KC would make a trade like that. None.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, theobird said:

Would you like a trade of Bundy for a prospect like Mountcastle and a lottery pick? I didn't think so. No chance at all that KC would make a trade like that. None.

Point taken, but Bundy is not Duffy. At least not yet.

27 minutes ago, theobird said:

Duffy is owed nearly 13 million more than Bundy in 2018, so I'm not sure how it's comparable.  I know it's easy for fans to not pay attention to the money aspect, but it's a huge part of the decision making process for teams.  

I'd trade Bundy for Forest Whitley and 36 million over the next 4 seasons (36 million is the difference between Duffy's salary and Bundy's estimated salaries, 1.5 million in 2018 and then arbitration).  Forest Whitley was Baseball Prospectus's 45th prospect in baseball in their midseason top 50, Mountcastle ranked 4 spots above him.

21 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

KC certainly would not. They're not going to gamble away a very good mlb pitcher on a kid who hasn't been healthy for a decent stretch in years. If you want Duffy you're likely looking at Mountcastle or Hayes as your main piece, and then adding 2 of Hall,Scott,Mullins,Reyes,Sedlock.

Duffy for Mountcastle or Hayes, with Scott & Mullins. Count me in! But I don't think the Royals would make that trade unless they were wholly focused on dumping Duffy's salary. Even then, there are a lot of other teams that could use Duffy.

I certainly don't know this to be the case, but it is possible that the Royals may be motivated to cut ties with him over his DUI charge. Or maybe because of his bad dietary choices.

22 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Duffy for Mountcastle or Hayes, with Scott & Mullins. Count me in! But I don't think the Royals would make that trade unless they were wholly focused on dumping Duffy's salary. Even then, there are a lot of other teams that could use Duffy.

I certainly don't know this to be the case, but it is possible that the Royals may be motivated to cut ties with him over his DUI charge. Or maybe because of his bad dietary choices.

I doubt the O's will trade Hays.  It just opens another hole and makes the team more expensive.

I'd look to trade Mountcastle to Atlanta for any one of a bunch of excellent pitching prospects they have.  If Mountcastle projects as a LFer, that's perfect for the Braves, because the Braves are stuck with Kemp in LF for another year, and then will need a replacement.  We're not going to get Allard, Soroka, or Gohara, but if we could get Ian Anderson, Joey Wentz, or Kyle Wright - that gives us a stud starting pitching prospect - all 3 have TOR potential but probably need a couple years in the minors.  Might have to "settle" for Kyle Muller or a combo of Max Fried and Touki Tousant.  Point being - Atl is loaded with pitching prospects and will NEED a LFer in 2019.   They might need a 3Bman, but Austin Riley in their system is a lot like Mountcastle and is more likely to stick at 3B.  If you can get one of Ian Anderson, Joey Wents, or Kyle Wright even up for Mountcastle, do it.  Both teams win.         

13 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I'd look to trade Mountcastle to Atlanta for any one of a bunch of excellent pitching prospects they have.  If Mountcastle projects as a LFer, that's perfect for the Braves, because the Braves are stuck with Kemp in LF for another year, and then will need a replacement.  We're not going to get Allard, Soroka, or Gohara, but if we could get Ian Anderson, Joey Wentz, or Kyle Wright - that gives us a stud starting pitching prospect - all 3 have TOR potential but probably need a couple years in the minors.  Might have to "settle" for Kyle Muller or a combo of Max Fried and Touki Tousant.  Point being - Atl is loaded with pitching prospects and will NEED a LFer in 2019.   They might need a 3Bman, but Austin Riley in their system is a lot like Mountcastle and is more likely to stick at 3B.  If you can get one of Ian Anderson, Joey Wents, or Kyle Wright even up for Mountcastle, do it.  Both teams win.         

Mountcastle for a Braves pitching prospect works in theory, but these top 100 type prospect for prospect trades rarely happen.  Just too much risk for teams to take, always worried that the other team knows something you don't about their player.

14 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

If the Dan and Buck do trade Mountcastle it will probably be for someone that would help them in 2018.  That is the hole they are trying to fill.

40 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If the Dan and Buck do trade Mountcastle it will probably be for someone that would help them in 2018.  That is the hole they are trying to fill.

How about this...

Ryan Mountcastle + David Hess + Ofelky Peralta to the Pirates for Ivan Nova + Steven Brault.

From a value standpoint Mountcastle is the most valuable player in the trade, he's somewhere between 20 million and 38 million (depending on if you see him as a 50 grade or a 55 grade.  Ivan Nova has some surplus value, he's under contract for 2018 and 2019 for 8.5 million per year.  He's a 1.5-2 WAR player so he has 7-15 million in surplus value depending on how you see him aging.  Steven Brault is a 45 grade pitching prospect, worth about 13 million.  The Orioles are throwing in David Hess and Ofelky Peralta who don't have a ton of value, but both have good stuff that the Pirates developmental team may be able to tap into.  It would be tough for the Pirates to compete in 2018 so it makes sense for them to reload a bit and save 8.5 million per year in the process.  

Nova and Brault could both join the Orioles rotation.

47 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

How about this...

Ryan Mountcastle + David Hess + Ofelky Peralta to the Pirates for Ivan Nova + Steven Brault.

From a value standpoint Mountcastle is the most valuable player in the trade, he's somewhere between 20 million and 38 million (depending on if you see him as a 50 grade or a 55 grade.  Ivan Nova has some surplus value, he's under contract for 2018 and 2019 for 8.5 million per year.  He's a 1.5-2 WAR player so he has 7-15 million in surplus value depending on how you see him aging.  Steven Brault is a 45 grade pitching prospect, worth about 13 million.  The Orioles are throwing in David Hess and Ofelky Peralta who don't have a ton of value, but both have good stuff that the Pirates developmental team may be able to tap into.  It would be tough for the Pirates to compete in 2018 so it makes sense for them to reload a bit and save 8.5 million per year in the process.  

Nova and Brault could both join the Orioles rotation.

What the Pirates do with McCutchen probably drives their off season.   Where they feel Mitch Keller is also will be an important factor in any trade of a starter.

Just now, wildcard said:

What the Pirates do with McCutchen probably drives their off season.   Where they feel Mitch Keller is also will be an important factor in any trade of a starter.

They have Gerrit Cole, Trevor Williams, Jameson Taillon, Chad Kuhl, with Glasnow and Keller not too far away.  That's why Nova is definitely expendable and they have higher upside options than Brault.

9 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

They have Gerrit Cole, Trevor Williams, Jameson Taillon, Chad Kuhl, with Glasnow and Keller not too far away.  That's why Nova is definitely expendable and they have higher upside options than Brault.

They have Cole, Nova, Taillon, Williams and Kuhl as their starting 5.   Brault with options to fill in where needed. Glasnow ERA was over 7.00 in the majors last year and is a project that will not make them trade anyone.  When they think Keller in ready to make the jump to the majors is a key factor.  That is the way I see it.

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

They have Cole, Nova, Taillon, Williams and Kuhl as their starting 5.   Brault with options to fill in where needed. Glasnow ERA was over 7.00 in the majors last year and is a project that will not make them trade anyone.  When they think Keller in ready to make the jump to the majors is a key factor.  That is the way I see it.

If you think Glasnow doesn't factor into their decisions, I think you are mistaken. He also had a 1.93 ERA in 93 AAA innings, striking out 140 with a WHIP of .95!  The control (which was the problem in the majors) improved as the season went on, Glasnow started the year as somewhere between the #9-#24 prospect in all of baseball (depending on who you ask).  If the Pirates don't have him strongly in their 2018 plans, I'm sure most other teams would gladly trade for him.  Glasnow is much more MLB ready than Keller IMO, Keller won't thrive in the majors until he develops a change-up, right now the pitch is nearly non-existent (I've watched a few Keller starts in their entirety). 

19 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

If you think Glasnow doesn't factor into their decisions, I think you are mistaken. He also had a 1.93 ERA in 93 AAA innings, striking out 140 with a WHIP of .95!  The control (which was the problem in the majors) improved as the season went on, Glasnow started the year as somewhere between the #9-#24 prospect in all of baseball (depending on who you ask).  If the Pirates don't have him strongly in their 2018 plans, I'm sure most other teams would gladly trade for him.

Factor in, fine.  Be handed a rotation spot, no.   He started the year bad in the majors, pitched well at AAA and came back in September to put up a 9.39 ERA,  He has a lot to prove in the majors.   And he has options.    

Mike Wright  went 9-1 with a 2.22  ERA as a starter in AAA in 2015.  It has never help him in the majors.  

I don't see the Pirates trading rotation pitchers to make room for Glasnow.   They may trade someone to make room for Keller when he's ready.

Archived