Offseason Trade Ideas thread

Luke-OH

On 10/23/2017 at 10:20 AM, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would rather have Mark Reynolds than Mark Trumbo.  30 HR & 97 RBI & 2.8 WAR is a lot better than Trumbo produced.  Do the O's have any international slot money they can trade?  I'm predicting Trumbo + international slot money + cash for a mediocre 5th starter and a non-prospect.

23 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I love what Mark Reynolds did this year. He was fun to watch here, at times. “The Sheriff.” You just can’t rely on anything close to that production. He was brought in on a minor league deal initially. You’re probably right, though. 

.978 OPS at home, .703 on the road — splits typical for anyone playing at Coors.     Put Trumbo there and his numbers would improve a lot.    Saying that, Reynolds did have a better year than Trumbo, even after accounting for park effects.   

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI

Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times writes that the Rays player "most likely to be dealt this winter" is Jake Odorizzi.

Odorizzi is getting more expensive via arbitration and Tampa Bay has a handful of young arms they're ready or nearly ready to plug into the rotation, so dealing the veteran right-hander makes sense. The 27-year-old posted a career-high 4.14 ERA over 28 starts in 2017, but he's been a steady contributor over the last four seasons with a 3.81 ERA across 120 starts

17 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

FYI

Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times writes that the Rays player "most likely to be dealt this winter" is Jake Odorizzi.

Odorizzi is getting more expensive via arbitration and Tampa Bay has a handful of young arms they're ready or nearly ready to plug into the rotation, so dealing the veteran right-hander makes sense. The 27-year-old posted a career-high 4.14 ERA over 28 starts in 2017, but he's been a steady contributor over the last four seasons with a 3.81 ERA across 120 starts

Someone will pay a ton in prospects. That someone be shouldn't be the Orioles.

12 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

That was not my point. You are correct, and each one will tell you that luck had a lot to do with it as well. I have been somewhat close to the Nats for years, and have seen Desmond come through their system. I have spoken with him and many of his coaches and front office folks. Some are very good friends. He has been lauded for years about his work ethic and the fact that he is a high character guy. That means, he stands out to people around him for those traits among the others, who as you pointed out, all work very hard. His game is not based on his legs, and that is the biggest thing that begins to go at his age. We showed interest in him a year ago as a FA. He had an injury plagued year. I thought it would be interesting to discuss. I guess I was wrong. 

Look, Philly had some good points as to why my proposal would not likely happen. We could just leave it at that. I mean, do you think that I do not know that these guys all work hard? Come on man.

Certainly. My bad. But hard work is not close to enough. Each one of them are freaks to start with. Not something that good character or hard work can make up for. Only augment. 

4 hours ago, weams said:

Certainly. My bad. But hard work is not close to enough. Each one of them are freaks to start with. Not something that good character or hard work can make up for. Only augment. 

Sure, and not to beat this to death any further, but he has played in at least 154 games in every year but two. He played in 130 a few years back and 97 last year due to injuries. He’ll come to camp healthy and in great shape. Many ML baseball players are really not in that kind of shape, not that they have to be. (Reimold would have been a perennial all star.) But as they get older, it becomes more important. I was just saying in my original post that Desmond would be prepared to have a bounce back year. That is all I was saying to justify my rationale for the deal. I proposed a deal, centered around the three main players I named, that seems lopsided financially against us. I would certainly need more than Desmond back in that deal, at least a good prospect and some cash. But I was simply saying you could buy low on him because he would likely bounce back and make us a much more competitive team and more dynamic defensively. 

Bob Boone, who is a scout for the Nats, once told me that it was a shame that the Nats best center fielder, and it wasn’t close, was playing SS. That was when Desmond was in his 2nd or 3rd year. It was a while ago, I know. 

7 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Sure, and not to beat this to death any further, but he has played in at least 154 games in every year but two. He played in 130 a few years back and 97 last year due to injuries. He’ll come to camp healthy and in great shape. Many ML baseball players are really not in that kind of shape, not that they have to be. (Reimold would have been a perennial all star.) But as they get older, it becomes more important. I was just saying in my original post that Desmond would be prepared to have a bounce back year. That is all I was saying to justify my rationale for the deal. I proposed a deal, centered around the three main players I named, that seems lopsided financially against us. I would certainly need more than Desmond back in that deal, at least a good prospect and some cash. But I was simply saying you could buy low on him because he would likely bounce back and make us a much more competitive team and more dynamic defensively. 

Bob Boone, who is a scout for the Nats, once told me that it was a shame that the Nats best center fielder, and it wasn’t close, was playing SS. That was when Desmond was in his 2nd or 3rd year. It was a while ago, I know. 

Very good clear logic. And well supported. 

Archived