Simply Extension?

weams

I think Jones will get an overpay extension either during this offseason or that he will get an overpay contract by us bidding against ourselves in the offseason.   Either way, Jones and Davis will be the “long term” deals that ownership chooses.   Not Manny or Schoop or Gausman or Bundy.   Davis and Jones. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Stewart has limited range and a weak arm.  His bat may put in him left or DH.

This all from the rating of Orioles.com.and what else I have read.

So the best outfield even with these players may be  Mancini in left, Hays in CF/RF  and  Jones in RF/CF with Mullins as a 4th outfielder who covers LF and CF.  Stewart /Santander as DHs that fill in the outfield to give the others rest.

Jones arm is probably the best of them all. Even at 33.

phillyO’s says Stewart is a better defender than Mancini, and I trust his judgment on that.   I don’t think Jones’s arm is as good as it used to be, and from both my own eyes and scouting reports, Hays has a cannon and is accurate too.    My only real reservation is Mullins’ bat vs. LHP, and if Hays has to slide over to CF in that scenario who plays RF.

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

I think Jones will get an overpay extension either during this offseason or that he will get an overpay contract by us bidding against ourselves in the offseason.   Either way, Jones and Davis will be the “long term” deals that ownership chooses.   Not Manny or Schoop or Gausman or Bundy.   Davis and Jones. 

I think we just need to give AJ market value over 3-4 years and he stays.  

29 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we just need to give AJ market value over 3-4 years and he stays.  

I think there will a useful role for Adam to play for a couple of years after 2018 as the regular but not everyday RFer  and occasional DH, LFer or even CFer, who will sit, or maybe even go on the disabled list, when he's injured. I don't think he'd get a bigger role elsewhere.

Adam needs to recognize when his injuries affect his performance and that he won't be helping the team if he insists on staying in the lineup and keeping our developing OFers out of it:

41 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I think there will a useful role for Adam to play for a couple of years after 2018 as the regular but not everyday RFer  and occasional DH, LFer or even CFer, who will sit, or maybe even go on the disabled list, when he's injured. I don't think he'd get a bigger role elsewhere.

Adam needs to recognize when his injuries affect his performance and that he won't be helping the team if he insists on staying in the lineup and keeping our developing OFers out of it:

He can DH in 2020 and 2021

5 hours ago, theobird said:

If Adam Jones will move over to RF, I am all about extending him 3 years. I truly believe he can be a Gold Glove caliber RFer for years to come. If he wants to stay in CF, give him the gold watch.

+1. As long as we don't overpay, he is a great player, great leader. I would love to see him retire an Oriole as long as he doesn't kill us, and he would be absolutely fine in RF.

28 minutes ago, weams said:

We will be lucky if we get two outfielders out of Mancini, Stewart, Hayes, and Mullins. 

When it comes to prospects, normally I'd agree with you that a 50% hit rate is very lucky.  However, Mancini already is a starting major league OF and Hays held his own in a short stint in the majors after just one year in the minors.  Stewart and Mullins have put up good numbers in AA, and possess some nice major league quality tools.  I think we probably already have 2 and will be lucky to have a third from that group.

As for extending Jones, it would be an absolutely terrible idea and that's why it will probably happen.  A soon to be 33 year old aging CF with already declining defensive ability is not someone we should be extending.  Plus, his overly aggressive approach at the plate will not age well as his bat speed declines (see JJ Hardy).  I also think Adam might put up a fight when asked to move to RF.  And OF is the one position where we have multiple quality prospects that are close to major league-ready (Hays, Stewart, Mullins, Santander, Rifaela).  We could have a homegrown outfield of players all making major league minimum, or an outfield of overpriced declining/aging veterans.  I know which one I'd choose, and I also know which one the O's will choose.

20 minutes ago, Otter said:

When it comes to prospects, normally I'd agree with you that a 50% hit rate is very lucky.  However, Mancini already is a starting major league OF and Hays held his own in a short stint in the majors after just one year in the minors.  Stewart and Mullins have put up good numbers in AA, and possess some nice major league quality tools.  I think we probably already have 2 and will be lucky to have a third from that group.

As for extending Jones, it would be an absolutely terrible idea and that's why it will probably happen.  A soon to be 33 year old aging CF with already declining defensive ability is not someone we should be extending.  Plus, his overly aggressive approach at the plate will not age well as his bat speed declines (see JJ Hardy).  I also think Adam might put up a fight when asked to move to RF.  And OF is the one position where we have multiple quality prospects that are close to major league-ready (Hays, Stewart, Mullins, Santander, Rifaela).  We could have a homegrown outfield of players all making major league minimum, or an outfield of overpriced declining/aging veterans.  I know which one I'd choose, and I also know which one the O's will choose.

Either Mancini could be Larry Sheetz or Hayes could be Luis Matos. So that is not two for sure. I stick with two. 

21 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Extending Jones would be moronic, so look for it to happen.

Jones just "LOLed" at someone on Twitter suggesting a 3/36 extension.

Nobody ever accused Adam of underestimating himself.    He probably does do considerably better than 3/$36 mm if he puts up .280/27/85 in 2018.    I’m sure he’s thinkIng Torii Hunter got 5/$90 mm for his age 32-36 seasons.   But I doubt that deal will be out there for Jones’s 33-37 seasons.   

Archived