Is Davis Done?

weams

Roch's article raises more questions than it answers.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/01/chris-davis-on-his-great-offseason-and-fighting-the-shift.html

Davis is coming off back-to-back disappointments since receiving a seven-year, $161 million deal, easily the most lucrative in franchise history. His average has dipped from .262 in 2015 to .221 and .215, his on-base percentage from .361 to .332 to .309 and his slugging percentage from .562 to .459 to .423. He led the majors with 47 home runs in 2015 but has totaled 38 and 26 the past two summers, an oblique injury costing him a month of the 2017 season. His RBIs have dropped from 117 to 84 to 61.

He’s no longer crushing fastballs. He’s no longer registering the same exit velocity. And it’s unacceptable to everyone...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get the feeling from his comments that he knows he isn't a power hitter anymore (for whatever reason) and is grasping at straws to try and be relevant. A guy who is supposed to hit 40 homers and 100 RBI per year should not be lamenting how he feels batting average is the most important thing. He is done. Thanks Angelos for appeasing the fans and making Duquette bid against himself and sign him.

To me it doesn’t raise any new questions, and it doesn’t provide any answers, either.   I’m glad to hear Davis has been working hard this offseason.    We’ll find out in four months whether it’s done any good.  

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To me it doesn’t raise any new questions, and it doesn’t provide any answers, either.   I’m glad to hear Davis has been working hard this offseason.    We’ll find out in four months whether it’s done any good.  

I take a bit of encouragement from this, he is not content to collect the fat paycheck and channel surf the cable system and rest for the upcoming season.

Is Davis done?

Is that a trick question... of course he is done... and he wasn't great in his two year peak

They signed him to a 6 year 161 million dollar contract one year removed from hitting .196 (2014).

Has to be in top 5 stupidest contracts in MLB history.

Only thing remaining is to see how many years he has left at the point they DFA him. I see it as sometime in 2019.

20 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I take a bit of encouragement from this, he is not content to collect the fat paycheck and channel surf the cable system and rest for the upcoming season.

Although if his hard work is in vain and he has another poor season this year and next, I wouldn't be surprised if he mails it in for his last 3 years.  He's not getting any younger, and with the deferred money he's going to be getting paid well for a very long time.  

Just now, FanSince88 said:

Although if his hard work is in vain and he has another poor season this year and next, I wouldn't be surprised if he mails it in for his last 3 years.  He's not getting any younger, and with the deferred money he's going to be getting paid well for a very long time.  

He is still only 31, thats not exactly advance assisted living time.

I dont think he is done for.

We shall see.

Wow.. I actually read the article and he doesn't get it at all.

His solution is to hit the ball in the air more to beat the shift. LOL as opposed to hitting a few dribblers to the left side of the infield?

How's he going to hit the ball in the air more, increase his uppercut LOL, perhaps swing at some of those called third strikes?

His opponents would rather him bunt 4 times and go 4-4 , then go 1-4 with a three run HR.

When was the last time he hit .250. How many 3 run HRs did he hit last year.

Man he is in total denial about how bad he sucks

7 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

His solution is to hit the ball in the air more to beat the shift. LOL as opposed to hitting a few dribblers to the left side of the infield?

How's he going to hit the ball in the air more, increase his uppercut LOL, perhaps swing at some of those called third strikes?

His opponents would rather him bunt 4 times and go 4-4 , then go 1-4 with a three run HR.

Not sure how you got this out of that article.   I think he knows he's been bad and is trying to fix that.

I do not know if he can become relevant again or not. But what he is doing makes all the sense in the world to me, and I have long felt that this is the path he needs to take. He needs to become a better hitter, use all fields and just let the long ball happen. I know that I am pulling for the guy, and not ready to bury him yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

26 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Is Davis done?

Is that a trick question... of course he is done... and he wasn't great in his two year peak

They signed him to a 6 year 161 million dollar contract one year removed from hitting .196 (2014).

Has to be in top 5 stupidest contracts in MLB history.

Only thing remaining is to see how many years he has left at the point they DFA him. I see it as sometime in 2019.

I wish I could disagree with this take, as I do with many of your other negative takes.    But it’s more like, I’m praying you’re wrong.   And I doubt the O’s would DFA Davis in 2019 even if that was the rational thing to do (we are clearly not there yet, though).    

At this point, I’m not even hoping to see production like 2013 and 2015 from Davis ever again.    I’d be thrilled if he could just rebound to his 2016 level.    At least at that level, he’s just an overpaid asset, as opposed to a true liability.

13 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I look differently at someone like Davis' ability to bunt to the left side -- not as something to be done four times a game and negate his power, but as an added offensive weapon to be used where the team needs a baserunner (say, leading off in a late inning with the team down 2) and to demonstrate an ability that might induce some teams to reduce the severity of the shift. 

I just wish he would do the little things he did earlier in his career, like knowing how to take a walk. He used to get on base more even when his batting average was down. He needs to spend the preseason learning how to bunt to the opposite side. And continue to play good defense.

Archived