What is Dan Duquette doing?

oriolediehard

1 hour ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

The Orioles would be so much better off if they had a GM who was aggressive. We need a GM who is not afraid to sign a big name pitcher or make a difficult trade. It will be all Dan's fault if the Orioles finish in last place again this year. Signing rejects like Cashner or Vargas is not going to do the Orioles much good.

I don’t know why Duquette doesn’t just fill in the blanks on some of those blank checks from Peter Angelos he has lying around.

I used to hear that Jim Beattie was too deliberate.    Then Mike Flanagan.    Then Andy MacPhail.   Now it’s Duquette who’s too deliberate.    It’s not a coincidence.   

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know why Duquette doesn’t just fill in the blanks on some of those blank checks from Peter Angelos he has lying around.

I used to hear that Jim Beattie was too deliberate.    Then Mike Flanagan.    Then Andy MacPhail.   Now it’s Duquette who’s too deliberate.    It’s not a coincidence.   

This. The complaint that the Orioles GM/VP for Baseball Operations or whatever is slow, lazy, not doing anything, etc., has been around for as long as this board has existed (at least!). But at least we don't hear complaints that DD doesn't know how to wine and dine prospective players. :)

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, Andy MacPhail's average payroll was something like...what...$80-90m? I'd imagine Duquette's is well over $120m. Just guessing. Certainly feels like it. 

When you poorly handle a payroll, you're going to have less ability to be aggressive. Aggression usually means spending more, not less.

5 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Well, Andy MacPhail's average payroll was something like...what...$80-90m? I'd imagine Duquette's is well over $120m. Just guessing. Certainly feels like it. 

When you poorly handle a payroll, you're going to have less ability to be aggressive. Aggression usually means spending more, not less.

Payrolls tend to go up when a team starts winning.    MacPhail was overtly in rebuilding mode.   Duquette’s payrolls got higher when it was clear he had a competitive team.   His 2012 payroll was lower than MacPhail’s from 2010 and 2011, but has increased each year since then.

8 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I am definitely not thrilled with a lot of moves and non-moves by DD, but if your owner is telling you to win as many games as you can (be competitive) at a certain price point, then you're going to get about what DD has done. He successfully completed those marching orders for a few years, but you can't keep it up for very long. 

1 hour ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

The Orioles would be so much better off if they had a GM who was aggressive. We need a GM who is not afraid to sign a big name pitcher or make a difficult trade. It will be all Dan's fault if the Orioles finish in last place again this year. Signing rejects like Cashner or Vargas is not going to do the Orioles much good.

I don't think you are laying this at the right doorstep.  The GM isn't the one driving this particular train, IMO.

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

In regards to your question. The GM signing players to dumb deals. Jimenez, Trumbo, etc. I don’t put Davis on him because of Angelos’ influence, but it’s not like we’ve seen much different.

I think Trumbo wasn't all him. There was interest, but Brady really pushed for it. It wouldn't be so bad if Davis wasn't still here and Mancini wasn't pedestrian in LF. 

1 minute ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I think Trumbo wasn't all him. There was interest, but Brady really pushed for it. It wouldn't be so bad if Davis wasn't still here and Mancini wasn't pedestrian in LF. 

Where did you get that from?

All I heard is that Brady helped get him signed.  That doesn't mean Brady was in favor of it.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Where did you get that from?

All I heard is that Brady helped get him signed.  That doesn't mean Brady was in favor of it.

That's the narrative I have seen all over here and other articles and sites related to the signing. 

2 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Brady was upset the Orioles waited until Davis and Oday hit free agency to sign them. 

I have a feeling DD didn't want to keep anyone outside of Wieters and O'Day. 

20 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

That's the narrative I have seen all over here and other articles and sites related to the signing. 

I have a feeling DD didn't want to keep anyone outside of Wieters and O'Day. 

It's only my opinion, but I feel like Dan was pretty much on the sideline watching Buck and Brady and Peter court Davis.

Archived