So it's less than a Month.

weams

4 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Theo Epstein was quoted the other day as saying that he is perfectly comfortable with waiting until spring training starts "before we do anything."    It seems like there is a collective game of chicken going on in MLB at the moment.   

Or maybe Dan is at a beach someplace getting an early tan.  

Cubs have the money to wait. They can cut a big check anytime. Meanwhile, guys in the Orioles price range are coming off the board.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Cubs have the money to wait. They can cut a big check anytime. Meanwhile, guys in the Orioles price range are coming off the board.

Oh I agree with that.  There is likely to be a big rush at the end which will really upset the usual DD style and plan  of waiting till the end to sign free agents.  And it will drive up the prices...again. 

30 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Oh I agree with that.  There is likely to be a big rush at the end which will really upset the usual DD style and plan  of waiting till the end to sign free agents.  And it will drive up the prices...again. 

Oh most definitely. I don't see that usual guy falling into the Orioles lap this year. 

4 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Theo Epstein was quoted the other day as saying that he is perfectly comfortable with waiting until spring training starts "before we do anything."    It seems like there is a collective game of chicken going on in MLB at the moment.   

The Orioles are not the Cubs.  The Orioles have two established starting pitchers since the season has ended.  Manny Machado hasn't been traded or signed a contract extension.  

If no moves are made before fanfest, I'm picturing it will look something like this.

simpsons-mob-torches.jpg

5 hours ago, tntoriole said:

They already signed Chatwood.  

6 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

The Orioles are definately one of the worst run organizations in baseball. There is a small chance that some change might happen once Peter departs. However, I think the know it all mentality is likely a family characteristic.

It surely may be. 

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Orioles are not the Cubs.  The Orioles have two established starting pitchers since the season has ended.  Manny Machado hasn't been traded or signed a contract extension.  

If no moves are made before fanfest, I'm picturing it will look something like this.

simpsons-mob-torches.jpg

More likely...

sheep06sept14.jpg

On 1/14/2018 at 10:25 AM, Frobby said:

For some reason, I’m really optimistic about Cortes.    Probably it’s just Luke’s description of him in the scouting report he did before he was drafted, and the fact that I enjoy watching that type of pitcher (not great stuff, but excellent command and super-tricky).   We’re about due for a surprise good starting pitcher who comes out of nowhere — Miggy was the last one in 2012; before that we had Guthrie in 2007 and Rodrigo Lopez in 2002.   I say Cortes will be that guy.  

I have to believe that Cortes and Castro begin ST as long shots to be any good in the rotation for any length of time.   Probably either can help the O's has relievers.

6 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Considering Rule V has netted us Flaherty, Rickard, and Garcia... shouldn't we expect Cortes to be not much better than than an equivalent bench infielder?

Not necessarily. The Yankees have a strong preference for hard throwers, which is why they gave us Bleier. Cortes is of no interest to them.

7 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Considering Rule V has netted us Flaherty, Rickard, and Garcia... shouldn't we expect Cortes to be not much better than than an equivalent bench infielder?

No one should get too excited over a rule 5 pick but I think we should assess each player for their own abilities rather then lump them together by the method of acquisition. Obviously rule 5 picks aren’t top prospects, but saying they are going to be Jason Garcia is just as valid as saying they’ll be Odubel Herrera.

7 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

No one should get too excited over a rule 5 pick but I think we should assess each player for their own abilities rather then lump them together by the method of acquisition. Obviously rule 5 picks aren’t top prospects, but saying they are going to be Jason Garcia is just as valid as saying they’ll be Odubel Herrera.

I think the over-emphasis on young talent in the MLB has broadened the pool of available choices. A lot of tank or semi tank clubs become overloaded with possible MLB players and have to manage their 40 man closely.  Especially in pitching. Plus, there have been a few significant finds in recent years. 

Archived