Nuggets and Keepers, or Trade Yesterday?

now

While many fans are in a state of despair, we like to play GM and think we could do better. Okay, as a thought experiment, put yourself in the shoes of Dan and Buck for a moment and fill out a list of nuggets/keepers among the current Orioles, and a corresponding list of guys you'd choose to trade yesterday. 

This is not necessarily a reflection on the quality of the player; it might be a matter of their career arc and relative value. You don't have to slot everyone, but as a good indication of where you stand, what do you do with Manny Machado? 

Obviously some of the minor league guys have not much to go on, so it's a gut feeling to slot them as a likely nugget.

Here are my candidates (in no particular order):

Nuggets/Keepers:

Schoop
Mancini
Sisco
Hays
Santander
Bundy
Castro
Bleier
Cortes
Mesa
Rosa
Mountcastle
Mullins
Stewart
Harvey
Wells
D.L. Hall

Trade Yesterday:

Machado
Britton
Trumbo
Gausman
Brach
O'Day
Crichton
Yacabonis

Your choices?

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'd keep Gausman. His trade value has got to be pretty low right now. Not even arb eligible yet. Wait for him to have a couple of good seasons, then trade.

This is Gausman's 2nd season of arb.  He does have legit trade value though, if you consider in park factors, Gausman is basically a cheaper, younger Danny Duffy.

Yeah, with Gausman, it's not so much about trade value for me, as the gut feeling that he's never going to put it all together. He's been so frustrating to watch from day 1... just doesn't exude or instill confidence. So in that sense I think his value will only decline as other teams realize his window for reaching potential is fading.

Schoop has more trade value than anyone not named Manny. And it might be close because he’s controllable. But when have you known the Orioles to sell high?

I’d keep Bundy, Hays, Sisco and Harvey. Gausman needs to have at least somewhat of a bounce back year, but I’d probably keep him unless I was blown away with an offer. 

I like Yacabonis, too. 

I like Mancini but he isn’t someone I would say is untouchable. Stewart and Mullins are both keepers for the moment. If they get Andujar they don’t need Mountcastle. :disco:

Davis and Trumbo are both untradeable and the Orioles under the Old Man don’t eat salary.

26 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Davis and Trumbo are both untradeable and the Orioles under the Old Man don’t eat salary.

Sadly, that's where the "Yesterday" part of "Trade Yesterday" comes in. ;)

Strangely, I still have hope for Davis (and even Trumbo) to bounce back from last year. But that's not saying much.

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Who really are the nuggets on the 25 man right now for 2019?  

Bundy, Cobb, Gausman, Cashner

Bleier, Givens, Castro, O’day????

Mancini, Sisco

Everyone else is either unproven, terrible, or a FA at season’s end. The wheels have really come off this thing. 

On the 25 man roster, I would trade anyone not named Bundy, Sisco or Mancini for the right deal.  Would probably hold onto Gausman barring an overpay.  

If I were intent on blowing up the team as GM, then basically every player in AA and above is available for trade. The only ones I would be focused on keeping are Bundy and Harvey. I'd like to keep Scott but everybody else is on the table. Even Tanner himself.

I guess Cobb and others have no-trade clauses, but I would try to convince them to waive them. There are a few AAA arms that may not get much return, so maybe I'd keep Joely,  Edgin and Wotherspoon.

Yes, that means I would even consider trading Mancini, Sisco, Hays, Mountcastle, Stewart, Mullins... If that's what it takes to wholly overhaul the franchise, I'd tear it all asunder, even the MLB young ones and the near-MLB ready top prospects. I don't see any as irreplaceable, especially since none of the position players is a shortstop. I understand it is controversial to trade the players that the team controls for many years but they would be replaced by other minor league players the team would control for at least as long. The new guys might be a level lower than the ones I trade, but that's what a complete rebuild might mean.

Archived