Boswell thinks Harper and others will not get $400 million dollar contracts

Going Underground

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm a little amazed that baseball is able to charge the prices they do for 81 home games a year.  I suppose a lot of mid-week, April and May attendance is season tickets and corporate sales.  Population is higher than years ago.  But back in the 1970s and prior it was common for an early midweek game at Memorial Stadium to draw 4,000 fans.  The '74 Orioles had eight home games that drew under 5,000.

Location is key too. OPACY is in the middle of town, whereas memorial was in the middle of a neighborhood a few minutes away from the harbor. Baseball can charge those prices due to the fact that you can't leave the ballpark and get back in. 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/16/2018 at 7:15 PM, atomic said:

Trout could be better I suppose.  I just don't like players that strike out as often as he does.  

With this post leaks away the remaining hints of credibility.  

On 3/18/2018 at 11:45 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

There have been 11 players worth 25-30 wins through their age 24 season, including Machado and Harper.

Here's the rest of their careers:

Rk             Player WAR/pos   Age    G    PA    R    H  2B  3B  HR  RBI   BB   BA  OBP  SLG  OPS
1          Hank Aaron   113.0 25-42 2566 10768 1678 2857 465  59 615 1803 1172 .302 .376 .558 .935
2       Eddie Collins    95.9 25-43 2266  9734 1503 2648 352 141  37 1047 1310 .334 .431 .428 .859
3    Rickey Henderson    82.7 25-44 2432 10455 1822 2352 408  41 262  902 1756 .275 .401 .424 .826
4      Frank Robinson    76.5 25-40 2073  8587 1328 2125 383  45 421 1363 1099 .292 .392 .531 .924
5       Albert Pujols    70.1 25-37 1946  8460 1223 2181 430   7 454 1414  947 .296 .378 .541 .919
6          Cal Ripken    67.6 25-40 2333 10028 1216 2434 455  25 323 1304  886 .271 .337 .436 .773
7        Joe DiMaggio    51.8 25-36 1182  5128  870 1423 246  82 224  979  591 .316 .399 .556 .956
8        Sherry Magee    32.0 25-34 1257  5097  670 1279 259  87  61  746  481 .292 .371 .433 .804
9        Cesar Cedeno    23.6 25-35 1186  4642  576 1161 241  32  96  536  401 .280 .344 .423 .767

The median is Albert Pujols at 70 wins.  Multiply 70 by $8M per win and you get $560M.

The list is seven HOFers, Sherry Magee who is better than any number of HOFers, and Cesar Cedeno.  The top seven were HOFers just on their careers from age 25 on.  I think there's more of a risk that MLB's TV money bursts than it is that Machado/Harper are worth $300M+ by today's economics.

This post makes me hear music from Return of the Jedi.....

On 3/18/2018 at 5:29 PM, atomic said:

Some people aren't logical.  And that is OK.  Just being so proud of it is what is so sad. 

Even with no context....the irony here is so.......God, you really have no idea.

On 3/19/2018 at 3:20 PM, atomic said:

For family of 4 behind home plate with 60 dollar tickets comes to 275 dollars with convenience fee.  I would pay 20 bucks to park.  So I am at 295 just getting in the door.  Say conservatively 15 bucks per person for food.  60 bucks.  4 beers 40 bucks.  There you go 400 dollars without even getting a souvenir.  

I say the prices are comparatively too high for an enjoyable experience.  I don't eat hot dogs.  Part of the enjoyment for me is going to Boog's Barbecue and having a few beers.  Really if I skip all the enjoyable parts of going I could just stay home and watch it on TV and save even more.  

I mean we went to Disney World in the Fall and I would say that is probably higher cost.  As 100 bucks to get in per person per day.  Plus 20 bucks to park.  And maybe 20 dollars a day for food per person and they don't sell beer. But I would say Disney World is more enjoyable for family with small kids than Camden Yards Baseball game.  

You literally changed your earlier argument from your family of three to a family of 4 to try and remake your argument in the face of facts presented to you.  Ill tell you this, I have taken my family of 6 to the games and held a 13 game season ticket package for years, traded in tickets to see a weekend series, stayed in the Inner Harbor, dined in the Harbor and Little Italy, and could do it within your budget.  It just takes a little effort and a little common sense and perhaps some planning.  If you can't afford a game I am certain someone here would be nice enough to provide you seats.  Hell Potter just gave seats away to your youngster.

By the way, congrats on your second child.  Oh, and if Chris Carter had been signed instead of Trumbo....nevermind!

On 3/19/2018 at 3:27 PM, Can_of_corn said:

If you are looking to spend money at the ballpark you will certainly be able to.

Your expenditures are not the norm.

The Orioles drew just over 2M fans.  According to Forbes they had $253M in total revenues.  If each person spent $100 at the park their stadium revenues alone would be over $200M.  We know that in 2016 just MASN brought in $46M.  Add in national TV, sponsorships, merchandising, MLBAM... I'm guessing the revenue per person in the seat is maybe $70-80.  And that's an average that includes the high end tickets and boxes.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The Orioles drew just over 2M fans.  According to Forbes they had $253M in total revenues.  If each person spent $100 at the park their stadium revenues alone would be over $200M.  We know that in 2016 just MASN brought in $46M.  Add in national TV, sponsorships, merchandising, MLBAM... I'm guessing the revenue per person in the seat is maybe $70-80.  And that's an average that includes the high end tickets and boxes.

I doubt I spend $100 when i am at a game, $20-30 for my seat, $10 for parking lot B, and maybe $15 at concessions, I am sure many fans do spend $100 per game, just not my style.

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

With this post leaks away the remaining hints of credibility.  

This post makes me hear music from Return of the Jedi.....

Even with no context....the irony here is so.......God, you really have no idea.

You literally changed your earlier argument from your family of three to a family of 4 to try and remake your argument in the face of facts presented to you.  Ill tell you this, I have taken my family of 6 to the games and held a 13 game season ticket package for years, traded in tickets to see a weekend series, stayed in the Inner Harbor, dined in the Harbor and Little Italy, and could do it within your budget.  It just takes a little effort and a little common sense and perhaps some planning.  If you can't afford a game I am certain someone here would be nice enough to provide you seats.  Hell Potter just gave seats away to your youngster.

By the way, congrats on your second child.  Oh, and if Chris Carter had been signed instead of Trumbo....nevermind!

Someone used a survey of the costs of a family of 4.  That is why I calculated what it would cost for me to go if I had a family of 4.

When did I ever say I couldn't afford to go a baseball game?  I was comparing the cost to similar family activities like Zoo, Dutch Wonderland, Port Discovery etc at the same enjoyment level.  When I see the shows at Dutch Wonderland I don't have to sit a mile away.  

I have never said once that I couldn't afford to go to a game.  I am really not understanding where that is coming from at all.  Maybe you just want me to be poor sorry to disappoint you. 

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

Someone used a survey of the costs of a family of 4.  That is why I calculated what it would cost for me to go if I had a family of 4.

When did I ever say I couldn't afford to go a baseball game?  I was comparing the cost to similar family activities like Zoo, Dutch Wonderland, Port Discovery etc at the same enjoyment level.  When I see the shows at Dutch Wonderland I don't have to sit a mile away.  

I have never said once that I couldn't afford to go to a game.  I am really not understanding where that is coming from at all.  Maybe you just want me to be poor sorry to disappoint you. 

We said you could go to a game for basically $10 a head, and you seem very determined to prove it's more like $100+.

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Poor is a reference point that is different for everyone.  You have no idea what I deem to be poor.  You sir, complained about the relative costs of your family attending an Oriole game versus other costs.  YOU made the argument that the cost was excessive.  YOU said the cost was a barrier to an enjoyable experience.  It was easily refuted even after you modified your argument to expand the cost to a family of 4.  I made a poor choice to use the word afford, but an understandable one after reading your argument.  What I meant to say, is that if the cost of attending a game is higher than what would bring enjoyment I am sure that someone here would be willing to provide you with seats at a cost that would enhance your enjoyability.  On the other hand if enjoyability is beyond the reach of you and your family, than please accept my apologies and my wishes that you enjoy your next trip to Disney World.

1 hour ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I'm fine now as my gut healed and I know i was in the small minority. We found ways around it. Check the life stories thread in the hangout club for more info on all that. Cheese was the pits to replace, because the stuff we got was made of rice and stupid expensive. It tastes as bad as it sounds. 

Good to hear you're better.  When I was diagnosed, I thought it was going to be horrible, but it's really not - ya get used to it.  Actually, the only reason I got diagnosed was because my identical twin was diagnosed, and because that gave me a statistically 70% chance of getting it, I got tested and sure enough - I tested 100% positive.  Odd thing about it - I never had symptoms.  My brother otoh - gets terribly sick having the slightest bit of anything with gluten - it's happened a lot of times, so I feel very lucky - at least for now.  The substitutes are getting better and cheaper and more available.  I can have "fake" bread and beer.  Some people say ew gross, but other than people saying ew gross, it's fine.  Okay, back to our regularly scheduled baseball blather... er banter.    

14 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Poor is a reference point that is different for everyone.  You have no idea what I deem to be poor.  You sir, complained about the relative costs of your family attending an Oriole game versus other costs.  YOU made the argument that the cost was excessive.  YOU said the cost was a barrier to an enjoyable experience.  It was easily refuted even after you modified your argument to expand the cost to a family of 4.  I made a poor choice to use the word afford, but an understandable one after reading your argument.  What I meant to say, is that if the cost of attending a game is higher than what would bring enjoyment I am sure that someone here would be willing to provide you with seats at a cost that would enhance your enjoyability.  On the other hand if enjoyability is beyond the reach of you and your family, than please accept my apologies and my wishes that you enjoy your next trip to Disney World.

Your post is condescending.  

I was using a comparable cost of entertainment.  Why would I overpay to see an event. I can go see Disney on Ice and sit in the front row if ordered at a discount at the pre-sale for less than 50 bucks a person.  If I ask my daughter which she would prefer to attend the Orioles would lose out every time.  If I didn't have a child I would go to the Orioles game over the alternatives I mentioned.

Also I am not sure what you consider poor but we go on 3 to 4 international vacations a year.   My daughter is starting the  top private school in Maryland in  the fall for kindergarten.  We max out our 401ks and have zero debt.   

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Good to hear you're better.  When I was diagnosed, I thought it was going to be horrible, but it's really not - ya get used to it.  Actually, the only reason I got diagnosed was because my identical twin was diagnosed, and because that gave me a statistically 70% chance of getting it, I got tested and sure enough - I tested 100% positive.  Odd thing about it - I never had symptoms.  My brother otoh - gets terribly sick having the slightest bit of anything with gluten - it's happened a lot of times, so I feel very lucky - at least for now.  The substitutes are getting better and cheaper and more available.  I can have "fake" bread and beer.  Some people say ew gross, but other than people saying ew gross, it's fine.  Okay, back to our regularly scheduled baseball blather... er banter.    

My mom made everything home made because buying bread was like $25 a loaf at the time. It just didn't make sense to do that at the time. Congrats on not having a ton of side effects and living in a day and age where gluten free products are now readily available. 

58 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I doubt I spend $100 when i am at a game, $20-30 for my seat, $10 for parking lot B, and maybe $15 at concessions, I am sure many fans do spend $100 per game, just not my style.

I'm a $38 total including parking kind of guy. 

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

Your post is condescending.  

I was using a comparable cost of entertainment.  Why would I overpay to see an event. I can go see Disney on Ice and sit in the front row if ordered at a discount at the pre-sale for less than 50 bucks a person.  If I ask my daughter which she would prefer to attend the Orioles would lose out every time.  If I didn't have a child I would go to the Orioles game over the alternatives I mentioned.

Also I am not sure what you consider poor but we go on 3 to 4 international vacations a year.   My daughter is starting the  top private school in Maryland in  the fall for kindergarten.  We max out our 401ks and have zero debt.   

To be fair, I would have probably said the same thing when I was your daughter's age. Then again, Dad worked for the Keys, so we were around baseball all the time until I was 13 or 14. I wanted nothing to do with baseball when I was a kid, but now that Dad's out of it, I miss it. Go figure. 

Good for you on everything else. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

Sounds like me, when I am lucky enough to eat dinner before I go. :)

I like getting there early when the gates open, if I am going to the game, I want to make it worth my while and get the whole experience. Granted, if I was a season game holder, it would be different, but I usually get to about 4 games a season.

2 minutes ago, weams said:

I'm the same way out of necessity, not because I want to. If I had unlimeted $, I'd go balls out and sit in the nice seats and have season tix. It's whatever, though. I'm still happy. I'm at OPACY, which is my personal disney land. 

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Sounds like me, when I am lucky enough to eat dinner before I go. :)

I like getting there early when the gates open, if I am going to the game, I want to make it worth my while and get the whole experience. Granted, if I was a season game holder, it would be different, but I usually get to about 4 games a season.

I'm the same way. And I'm lucky if I get to 2 a year. 

Archived