Anyone else slowly growing tired with Buck?

Rene88

I like Buck. I just want us to win. 

Does anyone sincerely think they can do a better job at manager for our team? Also does anyone think they can  do a better job than D.D. 

I think I can ..Just sayin'...

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Natty said:

Does anyone sincerely think they can do a better job at manager for our team? Also does anyone think they can  do a better job than D.D. 

I think I can ..Just sayin'...

I have no clue about the power structure in this org, and I have no real knowledge of injuries, attitudes, and the other intangibles that come into consideration.  So, it's not a fair judgement.  That said, were I in control, this roster would look different... so the player usage would differ with it.  I sure as hell wouldn't have so many useless vets around.

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Stubbornness for what, exactly?  

Wearing out his welcome?

Yeah, they look terrible this year but someone tell me which manager they would prefer instead.  Which manager could take this roster as presently constructed and have a better outcome?  Which manager could have avoided last place in 2017?  

-Orioleshangout.com, April 2018

Mainly the stubbornness for how he's handled Davis. I know it's a small sample, but even a few games Davis in the one hole is too many. 

I personally would prefer a manager that puts a greater emphasis on OBP and stolen bases (i.e., manufacturing runs) and no I don't have anyone in particular in mind. Maybe we can hire Kapler next season, after the Phillies can him, and have the all GNC team with him as our manager and Brady as our GM ;) We'd most certainly have the lowest BMI in the league!

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I honestly think that's about as far fetched as anything that's been said here. Buck may have his faults, but not caring enough is not one of them. 

Hey Tony, I wasn't suggesting that was reality. Just talking out of frustration. I know Buck wants to win, obviously. I just think maybe this team needs a change of leadership, including at manager.

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

I would join Moose, but let me try this another way.  I agree, losing that game in 11 without EVER throwing Zack was a mistake.  We were on the road and no doubt in hind site Buck was hoping to get a lead and use Zack instead of pitching one or two and needing a third possibly to close.  

Personally, I was ready for Zack in the 7th as in a critical game I believed he was the best option.  But most who argue against Buck would have by their own argument pitched Zack in the 9th and then likely the 10th.  So if the O's didn't score...Ubaldo was going to pitch anyway.

Since 2016, I can recognize those who complain to complain by those who are analyzing the actual move by when the mention using Zack.  By your own argument, Zack should have been in by no later than the 9th.  Therefore the inning in question, since the O's still did not score...is someone else would have pitched the 11th.  Now, sliding the pitchers would have still kept Ubaldo until the 13th and sure, by that time maybe the O's score....But it didn't go that way.  Buck chose to hope Ubaldo would get out of his jam...and keep Zack to close the door with a lead that was never attained.  And every one of us hoped it would be different.

The Orioles bullpen was pretty good that year and I don't ever remember feeling especially uncomfortable with any of the other guys. Given was outstanding for 2.1 innings, got an out from Hart,  1.1 from Brach, 1.2 from O'Day and an out from Duensing. That got us into the 13th inning with our best pitcher still available! As a matter of fact, Showalter had us set up with a significant advantage going into the 13th inning having the best pitcher in baseball still available and ready to come in the game. Zach gives us a chance to have three innings to score off of Liriano BEFORE having to rely on Jimenez, so we probably would have been set through the 16th inning if necessary before having to go to Jimenez.

Instead of taking advantage or even recognizing the advantage we had here, he completely squanders it as if he has no idea what he's doing and not only favors Jimenez over Britton, but leaves him in long enough to blow the game and end the season. Indefensible to me and it could very well have been genius if he goes with Zach there. He had us set up beautifully to have the upper hand for as much as three innings and just when I thought Buck had turned a corner, he smashes his face right into the wall. Absolutely horrible decision and that's why he was a laughing stock and the butt end of jokes for a few weeks because it was THAT BAD a move. Just awful and yes, indefensible IMO. Just terrible.

14 hours ago, Rene88 said:

We owe Buck a lot. I don’t want to just dump on the man but he’s not flawless and the longer we see some things...we being to understand his weaknesses. 

It's not like he brought multiple WS trophies to Baltimore (or even one, or even a WS appearance). I don't think the Orioles owe him that much for putting together a few competitive seasons. Yes, it looks bigger than it is due to the wasteland of the previous 13 years. 

4 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

It's not like he brought multiple WS trophies to Baltimore (or even one, or even a WS appearance). I don't think the Orioles owe him that much for putting together a few competitive seasons. Yes, it looks bigger than it is due to the wasteland of the previous 13 years. 

Exactly.

30 minutes ago, Sessh said:

That got us into the 11th inning with our best pitcher still available! As a matter of fact, Showalter had us set up with a significant advantage going into the 11th inning having the best pitcher in baseball still available and ready to come in the game.

Actually, it was the 11th inning. Don't know why I keep thinking it was the 13th, but doesn't really change much. We still would have had three more innings to get a run off of Liriano. That game must have felt longer than it actually was. Zach would have been good through the 13th. Ugh..

Wow. The Buck hatred is off the chain. I like Buck. He's certainly not perfect but he's a great manager. Period. Look at the number of wins. Yes, he messed up the WC game. Yes, he's super loyal to his guys. But he has a winning record in Baltimore. Before he got here, we did not have that. Me thinks people are forgetting the dark years.

1 hour ago, jtschrei said:

But he has a winning record in Baltimore. Before he got here, we did not have that. Me thinks people are forgetting the dark years.

Me thinks people aren't taking into account Buck has had Manny in his prime, Schoop entering his prime, Jones in his prime, Britton in his prime, two monster seasons from Davis, monster season from Nelson Cruz, monster season from Trumbo, etc.

It's not like this man is some miracle worker who made something out of nothing. He has had quality players. The managers before him had significantly less talent.

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Mainly the stubbornness for how he's handled Davis. I know it's a small sample, but even a few games Davis in the one hole is too many. 

I personally would prefer a manager that puts a greater emphasis on OBP and stolen bases (i.e., manufacturing runs) and no I don't have anyone in particular in mind. Maybe we can hire Kapler next season, after the Phillies can him, and have the all GNC team with him as our manager and Brady as our GM ;) We'd most certainly have the lowest BMI in the league!

But there's no one on the roster that has any good OBP skills.  Even the ones that do (Manny) aren't that great.  Buck is working with what he's got, which ain't much.

23 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Me thinks people aren't taking into account Buck has had Manny in his prime, Schoop entering his prime, Jones in his prime, Britton in his prime, two monster seasons from Davis, monster season from Nelson Cruz, monster season from Trumbo, etc.

It's not like this man is some miracle worker who made something out of nothing. He has had quality players. The managers before him had significantly less talent.

Preaching to the choir here...but they would have just given Cruz the extra year....no Trumbo (he did have an amazing year) and no terrible Davis contract. And we might have been able to sign Manny long term. What could have been..... Sigh...

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

How would signing Cruz have stopped the Davis signing?

Cruz protected Davis. Davis would have been easily replaceable with Cruz still on the payroll. But maybe you are right..maybe Buck would have advocated for him.

Archived