Glenn Davis or Chris Davis?

MagicBird

13 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

I think this is my biggest issue with CD. His contract is going to prevent us from being able to resign Machado. We likely wouldn't be able to do it anyway, but that contract really doesn't help.

3 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

To the people who keep saying, “Chris Davis only cost us money.” It may very well cost us Manny and/or Schoop and AJ. All of them are way better than Davis.

Chris Davis is expensive, but he didn't cost us Jones, and probably doesn't cost us Manny.  Manny is making $16M this year, and is likely to get $30M per on his contract.  Jones is making $17M this year, and will either leave or sign for a lot less.  Britton is making $12M this year, and the O's won't re-sign him for that salary again.  They can afford to keep Manny if they think he is worth the money.

P.S. Despite the above, Davis's contract still SUCKS.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/10/2018 at 10:27 PM, atomic said:

Well he said he liked to beat people up badly in high school.   Said he didn't kill anyone but claim close a couple of times.   He also said he like getting drunk all the time. 

He got thrown out if Baltimore for fighting with the manager for not being in the line up.   

Maybe he changed after he left baseball.  

http://people.com/archive/a-painful-childhood-behind-him-houston-astro-glenn-davis-only-slugs-baseballs-now-vol-26-no-8/

(1986 article) Backs up what you say about his childhood. Also says he straightened up a bit when he moved in with a foster family. I had forgotten that he grew up practically Brothers with storm Davis. Then he met and married his wife while playing in double-a and he sounds like he turned his life around.

Source for fight with Os manager?

14 hours ago, POR said:

Let's not forget that Chris Davis did have a couple great years in 2013 and 2105. Glenn Davis three years as an Orioles was one disappointment after another.  

That's true. I dislike the Chris Davis contract as much as everyone else, but hindsight is 20/20. I think there would have been a lot of disappointment if he wasn't resigned...but that may have been forgotten when the batting problems started.

14 hours ago, POR said:

Let's not forget that Chris Davis did have a couple great years in 2013 and 2105. Glenn Davis three years as an Orioles was one disappointment after another.  

True,

Glen Davis posted a .5 , 1.2 and -1.0 WAR in three seasons, pretty sad, considering what they traded away.

On 4/10/2018 at 8:38 AM, spleen1015 said:

I think this is my biggest issue with CD. His contract is going to prevent us from being able to resign Machado. We likely wouldn't be able to do it anyway, but that contract really doesn't help.

I don't think they would have made the offer to Davis if they thought it would prevent them from signing Machado. I know it sounds like I'm giving the O's too much credit for their foresight, but it would have been really difficult for them not to consider Manny when making that big of a financial commitment to another player.

1 minute ago, Orsulak4Prez said:

I don't think they would have made the offer to Davis if they thought it would prevent them from signing Machado. I know it sounds like I'm giving the O's too much credit for their foresight, but it would have been really difficult for them not to consider Manny when making that big of a financial commitment to another player.

DD said at the press conference when talking about the Davis contract, that it didn't hinder them in future dealings with Manny, so time will tell.

13 minutes ago, MagicBird said:

The only thing that will hinder the Orioles from keeping Manny is Manny.

Given what the media has reported that the Orioles have not reached out to Manny's agent.

It would appear that the only thing hinder the Orioles from keeping Manny is themselves.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Given what the media has reported that the Orioles have not reached out to Manny's agent.

It would appear that the only thing hinder the Orioles from keeping Manny is themselves.

Depends how true that is.  And if so, whats the reason?   We dont know.

6 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

You right, and we will probably never really know.

It sucks.

Manny leaving is worse than Mussina leaving. IMO

The Orioles signed Chris Davis.  They can sign Manny.  If they dont sign Manny there is a reason.   What are the chances we will ever know why if they dont sign him?   It would have to be about more than just $$$$.   Or it may be because Manny doesnt want to be here.   I would not be surprised at all if they signed him.   And if they dont I would have to believe there is mroe to it than just money.  

And yes it would suck if they let him walk.

On 4/9/2018 at 11:05 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Glenn Davis.

If the Orioles don't make that trade and those players progress in Baltimore like they did for the rest of their careers, the 90s are probably very different for this franchise.

Schilling is a hall of fame talent,  Harnisch was very good at the time and Finley turned into a really nice power/speed guy.  You'd have a rotation with Mussina, Schilling and Harnisch and an outfield with Finley, Brady and Devo.  They'd catch everything.  The lineup would have been more well rounded with Finley and Brady at the top, two 30 steal guys.  

...everything except for the balls that clanged off Devo's leaden glove.

Archived