Glenn Davis or Chris Davis?

MagicBird

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Interesting.    Schilling was used as a reliever most of his time in Baltimore:

1988: 4 starts, 0 relief appearances, 9.82 ERA.

1989: 1 start, 4 relief appearances, 6.23 ERA

1990: 0 starts, 35 relief appearances, 2.54 ERA.

If you saw him as a likely TOR starter, you were quite prescient.  That’s impressive.   

Thanks Frobby. I am a visionary, I guess.

But, like I said, part of my prediction was based on his minor league success. And my personal eye test.

59 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't really remember Devo having stone hands.  I remember a game where Ben McDonald gave up a fly ball that he could have caught at the wall but it hit off his glove and went over for a homer.  

Edit:  yep

Love that early 90s look of shorts and spandex, Big Ben.

Nice route to the ball from Devo. xD

2 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Dead pull hitter with a little bit of pop, great speed and a shaky glove in centerfield. I always advocated that Devo should have been in left and Brady in center -- years before Brady hit 50...

Not sure I would say shakey. Yes, he made errors, but he made lots of highlights too.

8 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Schilling showed his dominance in the high minors with low WHIPs and very low HR/9 rates.

Curt Schilling WHIP

1989 - 1.268 Fourth among Rochester pitchers that made at least 10 starts, behind Harnisch, Bautista and Mickey Weston

1990 - 1.374 Fourth among Rochester pitchers that made at least 10 starts, behind Bautista, Weston and Mike Linskey. Seventh(!) among Rochester pitchers that made at least 7 starts, also behind McDonald, John Mitchell and Danny Boone. Also behind Jose Mesa who made four starts.

Schilling HR/9

1989 - 0.5 Tied for third with Weston among pitchers that made 10 starts. Behind Dave Johnson and John Habyan

1990 1.0 Tied for fifth with Mike Smith and Eric Bell among pitchers that made 10 starts. Behind Bautista, Linskey and Weston.

5 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Dead pull hitter with a little bit of pop, great speed and a shaky glove in centerfield. I always advocated that Devo should have been in left and Brady in center -- years before Brady hit 50...

Mike Devereaux. Sure I remember him now. Not sure how is name spelled. 

2 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Thanks Frobby. I am a visionary, I guess.

But, like I said, part of my prediction was based on his minor league success. And my personal eye test.

I always thought Schilling had potential to be a solid starter if things broke the right way for him. For me what really propelled Schilling’s career was a rather astounding improvement in his command once he got to Philly.   He walked 4.2 per 9 in Baltimore, 4.6 in Houston and then 2.3 BB/9 his first year in Philly (1.9 BB/9 over the rest of his career after leaving Houston).    His command in the minors had been OK but not great (3.0 BB/9).    I’m not sure what light bulb went off in Philly, but he certainly did turn out to be a great pitcher.    

At the time of the trade, Schilling was just a guy. A little intriguing, as he had some success with the Orioles in 1990 as a reliever and had acquitted himself decently in AAA as a starter while being young for the league, but clearly third in the Davis package.

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

At the time of the trade, Schilling was just a guy. A little intriguing, as he had some success with the Orioles in 1990 as a reliever and had acquitted himself decently in AAA as a starter while being young for the league, but clearly third in the Davis package.

Schilling was traded 3 times before he was 25, which is pretty rare among HOFers.

When Schilling was traded to the Orioles, he was a throw in, as his value had dropped due to poor performance in the low minors.

Astros traded him to the Phillies as a reliever with control problems.

36 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I never thought of Devo as having an iron glove in CF.    His bigger issue was not being the best judge of fly balls.   Still, he was very fast and athletic.     He never made more than 5 errors in a season, and Rtot has him at +23 for his career in CF (+4 per season), +39 at all outfield positions (+6).   Anderson made as many as 7 and 8 errors in a season, and was rated -51 Rtot (-8/yr) in CF, while being a +23 LF (+5/yr).     

Devo made what I still consider to be the best catch ever made at Camden Yards, robbing Joe Carter of a home run in the 4th inning of a June 5, 1992 game with the Blue Jays, won the the Orioles 1-0.    Carter hit a bullet to the LCF gap and Devo, running full out, made a leap at the wall and brought back the ball from several feet over the fence.    Devo, who had set the Colorado high school high jump record as a student, used every bit of his prodigious leaping ability to make that catch.   What sets it atop the other great catches made at OPACY over the years (Adam Jones, Corey Patterson and Tim Raines Jr., as well as Kenny Lofton each had at least one really great catch there) is that Devo had almost no time  to gather himself for his leap at the wall, he was almost running full tilt when he jumped.    I was lucky enough to see that play in person, and will never forget it.   Here’s a video - look how high off the ground he got.

16 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

1990 1.0 Tied for fifth with Mike Smith and Eric Bell among pitchers that made 10 starts. Behind Bautista, Linskey and Weston.

Actually, Schilling was tied for fourth, not fifth.

But among the real starting pitchers, Schilling was second in HR/9. I do loves me some Mike Linskey, But Bautista and Weston were relievers, primarily. As such, it is misleading to purport statistical superiority over Schilling.

Also, Schilling had played for the Red Sox organization prior to being traded to the Orioles. His HR/9 never exceeded 0.6 in that organization and his WHIP never exceeded 1.33

At the time of the trade, Schilling was the pitcher I was upset about the team trading. I was more upset about Finley because I thought he was a sure thing and perennial AllStar. But I really did not care a bot about Harnisch. Maybe they should have traded world-beater Mickey Weston instead...

22 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Schilling was traded 3 times before he was 25, which is pretty rare among HOFers.

When Schilling was traded to the Orioles, he was a throw in, as his value had dropped due to poor performance in the low minors.

Astros traded him to the Phillies as a reliever with control problems.

Schilling absolutely was NOT a "throw in" when Boston traded Brady and him for Boddicker! He was a crucial part of that trade that may never have occurred without him being included.

Also, Schilling did not perform poorly in the low minors. That's an indefensible claim.

Just now, Beef Supreme said:

Schilling absolutely was NOT a "throw in" when Boston traded Brady and him for Boddicker! He was a crucial part of that trade that may never have occurred without him being included.

Also, Schilling did not perform poorly in the low minors. That's an indefensible claim.

Not indefensible:

July 29, 1988: Red Sox trade Schilling and Brady Anderson to Orioles for Mike Boddicker

The Sox originally drafted Schilling out of Yavapai College with the 39th-overall pick of the January 1986 draft. At the time he was traded two-and-a-half years later, Schilling was coming off a somewhat disappointing stretch in the Eastern League -- a stretch that saw his command numbers decline significantly relative to his performance in the low minors. 

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/curt-schilling-and-the-blockbuster-trade/

Archived