Glenn Davis or Chris Davis?

MagicBird

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I never thought of Devo as having an iron glove in CF.    His bigger issue was not being the best judge of fly balls.   Still, he was very fast and athletic.     He never made more than 5 errors in a season, and Rtot has him at +23 for his career in CF (+4 per season), +39 at all outfield positions (+6).   Anderson made as many as 7 and 8 errors in a season, and was rated -51 Rtot (-8/yr) in CF, while being a +23 LF (+5/yr).     

Devo made what I still consider to be the best catch ever made at Camden Yards, robbing Joe Carter of a home run in the 4th inning of a June 5, 1992 game with the Blue Jays, won the the Orioles 1-0.    Carter hit a bullet to the LCF gap and Devo, running full out, made a leap at the wall and brought back the ball from several feet over the fence.    Devo, who had set the Colorado high school high jump record as a student, used every bit of his prodigious leaping ability to make that catch.   What sets it atop the other great catches made at OPACY over the years (Adam Jones, Corey Patterson and Tim Raines Jr., as well as Kenny Lofton each had at least one really great catch there) is that Devo had almost no time  to gather himself for his leap at the wall, he was almost running full tilt when he jumped.    I was lucky enough to see that play in person, and will never forget it.   Here’s a video - look how high off the ground he got.

Nice catch, but he is running at half-speed and was able to time the jump. He did get high, I will agree.

I remember a Brady catch in Memorial in 1988 running full-out from CF into the right field gap and diving headlong towards the warning track to make a backhanded catch. It was one of the greatest catches I had seen ever. Not even going to try to find that highlight from  end of the historically bad season.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Beef Supreme said:

Nice catch, but he is running at half-speed and was able to time the jump. He did get high, I will agree.

I remember a Brady catch in Memorial in 1988 running full-out from CF into the right field gap and diving headlong towards the warning track to make a backhanded catch. It was one of the greatest catches I had seen ever. Not even going to try to find that highlight from  end of the historically bad season.

Brady was outstanding in the OF, and had lots of awesome catches.

5 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Awesome catch here, that fooled the announcer:

I'll let you guys argue about whether or not they should have predicted the successes of Harnisch/Schilling/Finley.  But the end result was after the deal those three were worth 142 rWAR.  Davis was worth just a bit less than one.  You'd be hard pressed to find a more lopsided trade by that measure in history.

Even Christy Mathewson's whole career for the last 22 innings of Amos Rusie was only 98-(-1).  Frank for Baldschun, Pappas, and Simpson was a pretty good deal at 43-21.

15 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I remember seeing it on TV. It was pretty much how you described it. One of his first games as an Oriole I believe. 

23 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

That was written in 2014 and is factually wrong. Re. Schilling supposedly delivering a "somewhat disappointing stretch in the Eastern League -- a stretch that saw his command numbers decline significantly relative to his performance in the low minors."

Schilling in Boston minors:

Age              BB/9            Level

19                  2.9                A-
20                  3.2                A
21                  3.4                AA    Also, 2.97 ERA, his lowest WHIP in his history at 1.24 as well as his lowest HR/9 to that point at 0.25!

He may not have exhibited excellent control, but it is undeniable that the Red Sox brass thought he was maturing properly as they promoted the youngster in three consecutive years.

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'll let you guys argue about whether or not they should have predicted the successes of Harnisch/Schilling/Finley.  But the end result was after the deal those three were worth 142 rWAR.  Davis was worth just a bit less than one.  You'd be hard pressed to find a more lopsided trade by that measure in history.

Even Christy Mathewson's whole career for the last 22 innings of Amos Rusie was only 98-(-1).  Frank for Baldschun, Pappas, and Simpson was a pretty good deal at 43-21.

I still remember what the Elias Baseball Analyst had to say about Finley after his rookie year.

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I still remember what the Elias Baseball Analyst had to say about Finley after his rookie year.

I'd guess it was something about him being a 98-pound weakling. 

I never liked the Elias folks, they had a long-running feud with Bill James and basically tried to copy his annuals.  It was luck I bought James instead of Elias from the bookstore in 1986, and I think I'm very much better off for it.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I was so angry the day that trade was announced.  But I couldn't have predicted the success that Schilling had.  But I thought Harnisch would have been better than he was. 

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'd guess it was something about him being a 98-pound weakling. 

I never liked the Elias folks, they had a long-running feud with Bill James and basically tried to copy his annuals.  It was luck I bought James instead of Elias from the bookstore in 1986, and I think I'm very much better off for it.

Paraphrasing here, since I don't want to dig it out.

"So, should we expect big thing from Steve Allen Finely?"

"Disappointing comps"

"Guess not"

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, @Beef Supremedust off that magic 8 ball and tell us who in our system we should be looking at to project future HoF greatness for.

There may be a couple of rotation-pieces in the low minors. Will be interesting to see their progress.

To think, the Glenn trade happened only because the Orioles gave away likely to become HOFer Eddie Murray in a trade for one prospect and two mediocre relievers in their late twenties. Imagine trading Schilling , Harnisch and Finley for Juan Bell and relief pitchers Brian Holton and Ken Howell. What the Orioles got for Murray would have been more like what they should have given up for Glenn in the fire-sale. But they never should have needed Glenn to begin with.

Archived