This team is cooked

LookitsPuck

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BMann said:

The 1984 Orioles started 5-13 and finished 85-77.

Unfortunately, this 2018 squad isn't populated with defending (but aging) World Champions.

85 wins ain't getting a team the second WC.  Moral victory I suppose but you can't eat moral victories.  Morel victories on the other hand, are delicious.

6 minutes ago, BMann said:

The 1984 Orioles started 5-13 and finished 85-77.

Unfortunately, this 2018 squad isn't populated with defending (but aging) World Champions.

Yeah this squad is populated by defending (but aging) last place finishers. 

I don't want to jump the gun, nor am I seeking any "I told you so" enjoyment, but I fear this may be the end of "the run" of the past half decade. The end of last season has bled into the start of this season, so I don't think the sample size is too small. I will be overjoyed if I am wrong, but I think the "run" is going to have a very definable beginning and end date. Game 162 2011- Wild Card Game 2016. 

18 minutes ago, Tbone83 said:

I don't want to jump the gun, nor am I seeking any "I told you so" enjoyment, but I fear this may be the end of "the run" of the past half decade. The end of last season has bled into the start of this season, so I don't think the sample size is too small. I will be overjoyed if I am wrong, but I think the "run" is going to have a very definable beginning and end date. Game 162 2011- Wild Card Game 2016. 

Looking at the results of the past 40 games or so, it's hard to argue. But I do see some hope that our starting pitcher will be adequate enough to get us close to or at 81 wins by season's end. Not that .500 should be a goal by any stretch, but the talk of the O's being historically bad does seem a bit premature. If Bundy/Gausman/Cobb/Cashner stay healthy, this team should not lose 100 games.

32 minutes ago, Tbone83 said:

Don't sell 2017 short - for about five months it was a reasonably competitive year before the collapse.  In general the window aligns with Machado's club control.  We're a mid-market club who mostly has capitalized on having a prime McCutchen/Arenado type, and translating it into several years of success punching above our weight.  Whether we can pull this year back from the abyss, we'll see.

Regardless, it's encouraging that as the sun is setting on Machado, it's perhaps rising on Bundy.  I believe the mid-markets have to have that one 5-win cornerstone under club control to hope to hang, and we might get to have that another few years while we see how good Sisco, Hays, Mountcastle, Mullins, Stewart and Santander can get behind Schoop/Mancini and the rotation.

Even if we repeated 2014's regular season and had a deep October run, Duquette, Showalter, Machado, Jones and Britton were never all going to be part of the 2019 and beyond team.

2 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Don't sell 2017 short - for about five months it was a reasonably competitive year before the collapse.  In general the window aligns with Machado's club control.  We're a mid-market club who mostly has capitalized on having a prime McCutchen/Arenado type, and translating it into several years of success punching above our weight.  Whether we can pull this year back from the abyss, we'll see.

Regardless, it's encouraging that as the sun is setting on Machado, it's perhaps rising on Bundy.  I believe the mid-markets have to have that one 5-win cornerstone under club control to hope to hang, and we might get to have that another few years while we see how good Sisco, Hays, Mountcastle, Mullins, Stewart and Santander can get behind Schoop/Mancini and the rotation.

Even if we repeated 2014's regular season and had a deep October run, Duquette, Showalter, Machado, Jones and Britton were never all going to be part of the 2019 and beyond team.

I agree, I'm just ready to move on to the next phase. I like Bundy, Schoop, and Mancini and some of the farm guys. Will it be enough to compete with the stacked Boston, Toronto, and NY farm systems? I dunno. 

Right now I have to use this cheesy metaphor- when you break up with your significant other, but are still living together while you figure out what to do next. You don't hate them, it is just time to move on, but you can't right away for financial or logistic reasons. This is how I feel about the Orioles. I love all these guys from the last 6 years, but 2018 is shaping up to be an abyss before we start anew. 

Hilarious. This team and organization deserves everything that's happening to them because they willingly put this trash team together.

1. No reason for Tillman or Wright to be on any MLB 25-man roster, least of all one who claimed to want to compete. There's no excuse. There are better options in the farm.

2. No reason for Manny to play at SS. Beckham has made 4 bad plays today. It's dumb.

3. No reason to start the season with 2 Rule 5's in the bullpen. Silly.

4. No reason that Flaherty shouldn't have been signed. Sardinas? Vielma? Please.

5. The offense will improve, but they left themselves no room for error with the previous 4 issues.

Wow.  I figured we'd come into Detroit, get 2 of 3 and start moving in the right direction.

Detroit is awful, and what's worse is they're not really trying NOT to be awful.  What an absolute mess.  Save for 1 inning today (4/19) our offense is being shut down by one of the worst starting pitchers in the majors over the past few years.

16 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Honest question: are we the worst team in MLB right now? This is horrifying. 

Probably.

We'd have to look at other rosters but I don't know of another team that has this much dead weight on it being paid the way they are.  Tillman is useless, so is Davis and Trumbo.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Probably.

We'd have to look at other rosters but I don't know of another team that has this much dead weight on it being paid the way they are.  Tillman is useless, so is Davis and Trumbo.  

And you didn’t even mention Joseph, Wright and Beckham. This team is BAD!!!

Archived