This team is cooked

LookitsPuck

On 4/18/2018 at 4:33 PM, osfan83 said:

You can't fire all the players.....I'll go on the record.....unless we see a dramatic turn around, Buck will be fired before June 1st. It will be the start of the 2019 rebuild. 

The 2019 rebuild should have started at the trade deadline last season

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Ripken said:

I simply don't understand how they can operate without some semblance of intelligence and structure.  Who decided Cobb was ready to start major league games?

Did we lose a bunch of scouts or something? Are we seeing the result of more influence from Brady? Less influence from DD? Buck seems to have had more input than usual (bringing back Tillman, Rasmus). We've been making stupid decisions for years but the idiocy definitely accelerated this offseason.

6 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Fixed that for you.

Very true.

This team had several years of flexibility with the core of the team being on rookie or team friendly contracts. Instead of capitalizing on that they screwed around, kept rule 5 guys on the roster, refused to spend money on starting pitching and didn't make any efforts to balance out the lineup. 

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Before than.  No way draft picks should have been used on Davis and Gallardo.  Britton should have been traded before last season even started.

I meant to multi-quote. Sorry about that

For now, this is looking like the 2017 Blue Jays, who were 10 games below .500 early. Except the BJs righted the ship some and went on to have a semi-respectable season (while never getting over the hump). I am not sure the Orioles can do even that. I would love to be wrong and for this team to start a 10-game winning streak tomorrow. But I can't see it right now. It does look like the season is over on April 19.

17 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Will Poor Play from the Road Carry Over as Long Homestand Begins?

(By Steve Melewski)

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/04/will-poor-play-from-the-road-carry-over-as-long-homestand-begins.html

o

Judging by the article, the player seem optimistic.  Shhh.. noone tell them Tillman starts tomorrow.

20 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Before than.  No way draft picks should have been used on Davis and Gallardo.  Britton should have been traded before last season even started.

It appeared that the Tigers started to have interest in Davis right before we signed him.  The Rangers bailed them out on Fielder and we bailed them out on Davis.  

I went back and looked at 1993. I remembered they got off to a terrible start and they were 5-13.  The farthest under .500 was at 9 games under. They went on a 10 game winning streak when they were 21-30. The streak started a 19-3 stretch to get to 7 games over .500.  

They had an odd year. They had an 8 game winning streak, then immediately lost 8 straight. They were 80-65 and 2 games out before they went 5-12 to end the season and wind up 85-77. 

What does this mean about this years team? Nothing, but it does show that crazy things can happen. I certainly don’t see it happening but any chance of salvaging the season is going to have to include a crazy run. 

The worst thing you can do in sports is miscalculate your competitive window and assume you've got an extra year you don't have. We can go back to the 1998 team, but we don't have to go back that far for an example. The 2012 Phillies are a prime example.

This team's window closed at the conclusion of 2016. The correct move would have been to come to a conclusion on the Manny situation by January 1st of 2017 (either signing him or trading him), and prepare the team for a rebuild by selling off assets (like Zach Britton). Instead, here we are.

I've always said that if you're going to jeopardize long term contention, you better make sure to win a WS or come close to it. Doing this just to win 70 games is not worth it.

20 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Will Poor Play from the Road Carry Over as Long Homestand Begins?

(By Steve Melewski)

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/04/will-poor-play-from-the-road-carry-over-as-long-homestand-begins.html

o

o

(vs. INDIANS, 4/20)

The Orioles had some bad defense early in the game, but they rebounded with some excellent pitching (starting and relief) and some pretty good offense (considering that they were facing Trevor Bauer.)

o

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:15 PM, murph said:

I didn’t and won’t read through the whole thread but the mood and premise is actually worse now here than the dark days.   I prefer enlightening baseball fans (win or lose) than the world is ending tome we have now.    I get it.   I just hope the Os start putting together some positive play worthy of a different tone really soon!  Just my two cents.  Go Os!  

With mood, we are seeing a baseball application of Crane Britton's inverted J-curve theory of revolutions.  Demands for change (revolutions) reach their peak not when things have been bad for a long time because no one expects them to get better.  Demands peak when things have been getting better and then the bottom drops out.  See France, 1788-1789, Russia during World War I and Mexico in 1909-1910.  The mood is so bad because until the middle of last year--even to the beginning of September when we were still in the running for a wild card--most people still expected the O's to be good. Now we want the guillotine. Fire Buck, fire Dan, DFA Davis, Trumbo, Tillman, Joseph, Beckham, etc. Trade everyone but Bundy, Sisco and Mancini.  How soon do we turn on Cobb?

Archived