Orioles fans wonder why Camden Yards' lineup doesn't include Wi-Fi

Going Underground

I think we should do everything possible to keep people from watching the Orioles play and chalk it up as a public service.

I'm seriously torn about smartphones and tablets in ballparks.  One day somebody busy updating their Facebook page is going to be put in the hospital or worse from a foul ball or lost bat.  

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When In-Game betting (next iteration of Draftkings and Fanduel) comes to baseball cellular data is not going to cut it.  For all those who say it's never going to happen, Adam Silver (NBA commish) is already looking for ways the owners can get a cut (whether betting occur in-arena or not).

Not a dealbreaker for me, but it is annoying to be there and trying to send a text, look up something real quick on a web browser or check email if you need to.  

3 minutes ago, JourneyFan said:

Texting is sent via cell service, not Wi-Fi/data.

But texting can be sent over Wi-Fi if connected.  At least iphone to iphone.

It was interesting to hear Bill Simmons talk about his experience attending the Masters. To get in, they take your phone. Not having his phone, Simmons said, and I'm paraphrasing, totally changed his experience for the better. 

It was just one example of how the Masters carefully crafts the experience for the fan. Disneyworld is the master of this, I would say. It's like uber crafted. 

I wonder how much thought the Orioles give to crafting the fan experience. Probably alot. 

I'm all about Wifi. I work in technology. But, I actually don't want wifi at games and I wonder if there could be a way to keep folks off their phones. Maybe 82 homes is not special enough to justify taking phones away. What about for the playoffs though. Anyway... my two cents... 

17 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I think we should do everything possible to keep people from watching the Orioles play and chalk it up as a public service.

I'm seriously torn about smartphones and tablets in ballparks.  One day somebody busy updating their Facebook page is going to be put in the hospital or worse from a foul ball or lost bat.  

I went to a Nats game a couple years ago, and a bat came helicoptering into the stands not far from where I was sitting and knocked a young man’s phone right out of his hand and smashed it.    He’d been paying no attention whatsoever.    And then he was insistent that the Nats should pay for a new phone.     They probably did, but at the time it just seemed ridiculous that he was holding the team responsible, when it was his own fault.

Without question, they should install WiFi. Makes little difference to me, but it’s all about improving fan experience and getting butts in the seats. Not everyone is like many of us, and can watch a game intently for nine innings. There are many, many casual fans who will be dissuaded from going to games if they can’t be connected, on social media, etc. It just is what it is. Kind of a no brainer to me.

46 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

It’s 2018. Modern technology should be added to the park. I would rather have a fan on their phone than no fan at all. 

Took the words right out of mouth. You have to change with the times. The average age of a MLB fan is 57 years old. This speaks volumes in terms of what the Orioles and MLB baseball in general are/aren't doing to recruit/appeal to a younger fan base. Baseball is trending in the direction of golf and that's not a good thing. 

23 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

It was interesting to hear Bill Simmons talk about his experience attending the Masters. To get in, they take your phone. Not having his phone, Simmons said, and I'm paraphrasing, totally changed his experience for the better. 

It was just one example of how the Masters carefully crafts the experience for the fan. Disneyworld is the master of this, I would say. It's like uber crafted. 

I wonder how much thought the Orioles give to crafting the fan experience. Probably alot. 

I'm all about Wifi. I work in technology. But, I actually don't want wifi at games and I wonder if there could be a way to keep folks off their phones. Maybe 82 homes is not special enough to justify taking phones away. What about for the playoffs though. Anyway... my two cents... 

The average age of a golf fan is 64, so that's the audience your appealing to with this strategy. For the rest of us (and I'm not even a millennial) you'll have to pry my phone from my cold, dead hand to get it away from me. 

It's not just sport's either. Some musicians have tried banning phones from concerts (Jack White comes to mind) and it's largely been met with resistance and ridicule. Younger fans will choose their phones over going to an event, and it's not a difficult decision. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The average age of a golf fan is 64, so that's the audience your appealing to with this strategy. For the rest of us (and I'm not even a millennial) you'll have to pry my phone from my cold, dead hand to get it away from me. 

It's not just sport's either. Some musicians have tried banning phones from concerts (Jack White comes to mind) and it's largely been met with resistance and ridicule. Younger fans will choose their phones over going to an event, and it's not a difficult decision. 

Fripp walked off stage in 2015 due to cameras.

If you have AT&T service and the stadium is almost at capacity your phone is basically a brick. I think a couple times I even tried to upload a video to facebook or something... it would just get to about 80% uploaded then hang... ends up just draining your battery.  I think if you have Verizon you are OK.

I would be all in favor to have WiFi available at OPACY.  Seems like a simple amenity to provide to us (the fans). 

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

And broadcasting games in HD.

My guess is they will be within the last couple to switch to 4K.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I went to a Nats game a couple years ago, and a bat came helicoptering into the stands not far from where I was sitting and knocked a young man’s phone right out of his hand and smashed it.    He’d been paying no attention whatsoever.    And then he was insistent that the Nats should pay for a new phone.     They probably did, but at the time it just seemed ridiculous that he was holding the team responsible, when it was his own fault.

Let's see if the young man lives to be an old man.  Darwin was on to something.

;)

Archived