Deadline Trades

Bahama O's Fan

One of the silver linings that could come out of playing bad from the beginning of the season is the hope of the team seeing a need to SELL at the deadline early and can begin fielding offers for any pieces that we are willing to trade. So which pieces should we put on the market? Who do you think will be interested in each? What kind of return can we expect? Oh, and is there ANY way we can get out of the Trumbo and Davis deals?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

One of the silver linings that could come out of playing bad from the beginning of the season is the hope of the team seeing a need to SELL at the deadline early and can begin fielding offers for any pieces that we are willing to trade. So which pieces should we put on the market? Who do you think will be interested in each? What kind of return can we expect? Oh, and is there ANY way we can get out of the Trumbo and Davis deals?

Sure, send top prospects along with them. The package to get rid of Davis would have to be substantial.

Machado, Jones, and Brach would be the most in demand I would think.  Each should bring back assets, but I would think Machado would be the only one with significant return.

O'day might be desired if he keeps pitching the way he is.  His contract doesn't look too bad to other teams either if he keeps pitching at this rate.

I could see teams pull quick, insignificant deals for Alvarez and/or Valencia IF they are still on the team then and they have good numbers in the splits.

Britton is a wild card.  When does he come back and how does he perform? I could see  teams ask about guys like Givens, Gausman, maybe even Bleir, but are they worth trading yet?

Davis and Trumbo's contracts won't be moved until the offseason IF they can be moved.  If Trumbo came back smashing off the DL, he might be able to be traded this year, but I don't see him coming back and smashing.

1 minute ago, ScGO's said:

Machado, Jones, and Brach would be the most in demand I would think.  Each should bring back assets, but I would think Machado would be the only one with significant return.

O'day might be desired if he keeps pitching the way he is.  His contract doesn't look too bad to other teams either if he keeps pitching at this rate.

I could see teams pull quick, insignificant deals for Alvarez and/or Valencia IF they are still on the team then and they have good numbers in the splits.

Britton is a wild card.  When does he come back and how does he perform? I could see  teams ask about guys like Givens, Gausman, maybe even Bleir, but are they worth trading yet?

Davis and Trumbo's contracts won't be moved until the offseason IF they can be moved.  If Trumbo came back smashing off the DL, he might be able to be traded this year, but I don't see him coming back and smashing.

Who is on your list of tradeables because I have a list of guys I would want before Jones and Brach.

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

Trading Machado, Schoop, Britton and Brach should bring back a few nice prospects. 

Trumbo has only one year left on his contract after this season. Just cut him after the season is over. We're stuck with Davis. 

I would hope the O's would think about locking him up, but at the same time, if the return is right, he might be able to get just as much in a trade as Machado, maybe more with the extra year on his contract.

Just now, ScGO's said:

I would hope the O's would think about locking him up, but at the same time, if the return is right, he might be able to get just as much in a trade as Machado, maybe more with the extra year on his contract.

I would hope the O's already know if they have a shot at locking him up because they have already been engaging in talks.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Who is on your list of tradeables because I have a list of guys I would want before Jones and Brach.

That's true.  If better options are available for other teams, we might not get much or anything.  I guess it becomes a balancing act to determine what is a better return: the trade and return versus the draft pick compensation.

BUT with the way the market worked this offseason, I could see Jones or Brach taking qualifying offer.  

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Givens and Schoop first and foremost.  If I'm another team I also ask about Mancini if I need a 1B or DH.  Gausman and Bundy of course.  Heck I'd rather have Bleier than Brach right now.

I agree that Schoop should shopped.  How many more years we have of Givens?  I'd listen to deals for him, but if we still have like 3 or 4 years of Givens control, he might be worth holding onto.  We could always trade him later.  He could be our closer next year.

No way I trade Mancini unless I am blown away.  That whole bat speed conversation on Trey the other day really made me a believer.

I listen on Gausman.  I hate to listen on Bundy now, just because its so nice to see a starter doing well for us.

1 minute ago, ScGO's said:

I agree that Schoop should shopped.  How many more years we have of Givens?  I'd listen to deals for him, but if we still have like 3 or 4 years of Givens control, he might be worth holding onto.  We could always trade him later.  He could be our closer next year.

No way I trade Mancini unless I am blown away.  That whole bat speed conversation on Trey the other day really made me a believer.

I listen on Gausman.  I hate to listen on Bundy now, just because its so nice to see a starter doing well for us.

The problem with Mancini isn't Mancini, it's Davis.

Mancini's value is capped at since he is forced to play in the outfield.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Sure, send top prospects along with them. The package to get rid of Davis would have to be substantial.

The only trade I can really think of where another team took on a really bad contract is the Dodgers/Red Sox Punto Trade.

The Red Sox traded Josh Beckett, Adrian Gonzalez, Nick Punto, and Carl Crawford's ugly contract to the Dodgers for James Money, Ivan De Jesus, Allen Webster, Rubby De La Rosa, and Jerry Sands.

Comparatively, for the O's, I guess that'd be: Machado/Schoop, Gausman, Castro/Bleier, and Chris Davis. 

I don't know if there is a team out there now that is as money-crazy as the Dodgers ownership was at that point. Also, a lot of teams want to stay under the luxury tax threshold this year so they can reset - which influences things greatly.

The only way I see a Davis deal is something like Machado/Davis to Tigers for Zimmermann and Tigers trade Machado to another team for whatever prospects he gets. Even the Zimmermann deal is better looking right now than the Davis albatross.

Archived