Time to start DFA people

atomic

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It would be dumb to DFA Santander after all this time. Santander has a chance to be a good player, he just needs more time. This team is going no where, why give away a guy after investing this much time in trying to keep him. This team isn't a Santander upgrade away from being a contender.

Dumb. Not even the armchair GMs do this foolishness.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m certainly not suggesting Santander is the only one killing us, but he’s certainly one of the players who’s killing us.   He has a .448 OPS, second worst among the starters (Caleb is worst).   He’s been worth -0.6 rWAR which is third worst among the position players (Jones and Caleb are worse).    If it weren’t for his Rule 5 status, the O’s certainly would have sent him to the minors by now.   In fact, if he was a regular Rule 5 guy who had to spend 90 days here this year, I think the O’s would have given up on him by now.   But at this point they’ll probably hang on for another 3 weeks and then demote him immediately.    I do think he has some potential, but he’s way overmatched right now.   

I tell you what.  Release Caleb and Danny Valencia and then we can talk about Santander. 

3 minutes ago, weams said:

I tell you what.  Release Caleb and Danny Valencia and then we can talk about Santander. 

You’ve always been down on Caleb.   He was worth 1.6 rWAR last year, 2.3 in 2015, 1.2 in 2014.   I think they’ll be patient with him.   If nothing else he’s an experienced guy to mentor Sisco.   Sure, if he’s posting a .272 OPS a month from now, they’ll need to jettison him, but I don’t see it right now.   

Just now, Frobby said:

You’ve always been down on Caleb.   He was worth 1.6 rWAR last year, 2.3 in 2015, 1.2 in 2014.   I think they’ll be patient with him.   If nothing else he’s an experienced guy to mentor Sisco.   Sure, if he’s posting a .272 OPS a month from now, they’ll need to jettison him, but I don’t see it right now.   

I was Caleb's biggest fan as a back up to switch-hitting Matt Wieters. 

52 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Not counting #42 for Jackie Robinson, there are 6 numbers retired in Oriole History.  None of them belong to players that have not won a WS Ring, AND been elected to the MLB HOF.  He is guaranteed induction to the Oriole HOF, but retiring his number?  Come on Mr. Dempsey, I see what you are trying to do.

What is sad is not that this has been debated for pages as to which of these 12 players are better than the other, it's that these names constitute over 25% of our 40 man roster.

There are 7 or 8 really nice people that would be thrilled to have you in Tampa.

I know right?  (And its knell.  Death knell, the tolling of a bell to announce death) 

This is comic genius!  Sure DFA Santander a couple weeks before he is eligible to demote to the minors.  That will show em.  Yeah, screw his potential, we gotta get rid of dead wood.  A pitcher type hitting in RF?  Are you looking at the lineup?  We have pitcher types, poor ones at that, weighing down our lineup virtually everywhere.  But yes, if we keep Santander for a couple of weeks we are 100% giving up on the season.  By all means, lets get all the kids up here to play, start those clocks.

Genius man...genius!

This isn't the Frederick Keys.  The guys has zero place in the big leagues not a development league. The team has some responsibility to put out a real major league product out there. If Satander weren't playing that would be bad enough but he is the teams starting right fielder. You know that is where you put your best hitters.  And it's not like he is a great fielder.  All these stupid rule 5 picks we have had over they years and other than Flaherty none of have been better than a triple AAA journeyman.  Time to say enough is enough. 

Yeah and I know we have dead wood throughout the line up.  But Satander is the easiest to replace with someone better.  And at least some of the other guys have had success in the past.   Plus having him start means the team does not care about winning ball games.  Well if they don't they should be doing something else. 

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

This isn't the Frederick Keys.  The guys has zero place in the big leagues not a development league. The team has some responsibility to put out a real major league product out there. If Satander weren't playing that would be bad enough but he is the teams starting right fielder. You know that is where you put your best hitters.  And it's not like he is a great fielder.  All these stupid rule 5 picks we have had over they years and other than Flaherty none of have been better than a triple AAA journeyman.  Time to say enough is enough. 

Yeah and I know we have dead wood throughout the line up.  But Satander is the easiest to replace with someone better.  And at least some of the other guys have had success in the past.   Plus having him start means the team does not care about winning ball games.  Well if they don't they should be doing something else. 

Santander can be a pinch hitter for 15 days. 

It's pretty simple.  If you believe that Santander has even a remote chance of helping the Orioles in the future, you keep him for 15 days.  If you believe he'll never amount to anything, let him go.

The disagreement is whether you believe Santander will help the team in the future, or he will never be a major league caliber player.

Archived