Jimmy Yacabonis 2018

sportsfan8703

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Is the goal for Yacabonis to be long relief?  Why lift him after four innings? 

Yes, pretty much. At least it should be -- Yacabonis doesn't have the stamina to be a starter in the bigs, and I think the Orioles are realizing that.

In his five starts for the O's this year, Yacabonis has pitched into the fifth inning three times. In that inning, opposing batters are 7-for-11 with two home runs against him. All told this year, when Yac faces an opposing lineup for a second time, they're batting .344 with a 1.198 OPS against him.

He can be effective once through a lineup, but that's pretty much it. I'd see him as a 2-3 inning pitcher in the majors.

1 hour ago, PaulFolk said:

Yes, pretty much. At least it should be -- Yacabonis doesn't have the stamina to be a starter in the bigs, and I think the Orioles are realizing that.

In his five starts for the O's this year, Yacabonis has pitched into the fifth inning three times. In that inning, opposing batters are 7-for-11 with two home runs against him. All told this year, when Yac faces an opposing lineup for a second time, they're batting .344 with a 1.198 OPS against him.

He can be effective once through a lineup, but that's pretty much it. I'd see him as a 2-3 inning pitcher in the majors.

Is stamina develop-able? He's only had one year of trying to be a starter.  I don't know if he can add another inning--maybe workouts with Brady will help.?

Actually, with the number of pitchers we have that don't seem to go beyond the 5th inning well, I'd like to try an approach where we only expect the starter to go 5 innings, maybe 6 only if they are throwing extremely well, then we have relievers who have been prepared to go 2 or 3 innings starting a fresh inning--trained like Scott with three inning appearances in the minors.  Of course, we probably could not do it with Buck managing as he seems to like to let a starter pitch until he's in trouble.  I would not have had Bundy start the 7th last game because he gave up runs in 5 and 6 and hasn't been pitching well lately.

If this became a set approach, we might be able to go with 4 starters (I'm old enough to remember 4 starters who tried to go whole games, impossible today, but at 5 innings possible I think), 4 2-inning relievers and 3 to take on the 8th and 9th.  No loogies.

3 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

He could have easily lost it in the fourth and removing him was the correct call. 

1 hour ago, Pheasants said:

Is stamina develop-able? He's only had one year of trying to be a starter.  I don't know if he can add another inning--maybe workouts with Brady will help.?

Actually, with the number of pitchers we have that don't seem to go beyond the 5th inning well, I'd like to try an approach where we only expect the starter to go 5 innings, maybe 6 only if they are throwing extremely well, then we have relievers who have been prepared to go 2 or 3 innings starting a fresh inning--trained like Scott with three inning appearances in the minors.  Of course, we probably could not do it with Buck managing as he seems to like to let a starter pitch until he's in trouble.  I would not have had Bundy start the 7th last game because he gave up runs in 5 and 6 and hasn't been pitching well lately.

If this became a set approach, we might be able to go with 4 starters (I'm old enough to remember 4 starters who tried to go whole games, impossible today, but at 5 innings possible I think), 4 2-inning relievers and 3 to take on the 8th and 9th.  No loogies.

The Orioles are nowhere close to developing MLB starter that can go 8 innings. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I kind of like Yac.    He’s had some very rough outings and is inconsistent, but he can look pretty dominating at times.    I won’t be surprised if he ends up having a decent bullpen career.   

Jim Hunter does too. 

3 hours ago, weams said:

They went to the same high school!

Hopefully it’s gotten better since Hunter graduated.    

Ah, just having a cheap joke at Hunter’s expense.    I’m not crazy about him as an announcer, but I have no opinion on his education.  By the way, according to Wikipedia (for Hunter) and BB-ref, he went to a different high school than Yacabonis.

Archived