Fangraphs’ Edwards: O’s playoff chances are now 1000-1

Frobby

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, billw76 said:

With this front office and owner who knows if he will be traded, even though fans and everyone outside the organization knows it's the best thing to do for the future.

Well, the O's didn't trade Mussina in his walk year even though the team was going nowhere; on the other hand, they did trade Sidney Ponson and Eric Bedard for prospects, so on balance I'd say it's likely that Brady or Buck or Dan or whoever is running the team will be able to convince Angelos and sons to trade Machado.  

2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Well, the O's didn't trade Mussina in his walk year even though the team was going nowhere; on the other hand, they did trade Sidney Ponson and Eric Bedard for prospects, so on balance I'd say it's likely that Brady or Buck or Dan or whoever is running the team will be able to convince Angelos and sons to trade Machado.  

Mussina had a no-trade clause and during his walk year he made it crystal clear he wouldn’t consent to be traded.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Mussina had a no-trade clause and during his walk year he made it crystal clear he wouldn’t consent to be traded.   

What a dick. I always thought he acted in a childishly petulant way with the press. I did not remember that he refused to allow the team to get some value back for him.

2 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

What a dick. I always thought he acted in a childishly petulant way with the press. I did not remember that he refused to allow the team to get some value back for him.

I don’t see it that way at all.   He did a three-year, team friendly extension and one thing he asked for was a no-trade clause.   He didn’t want to move mid-season for family reasons.    He had every right to enforce that clause.   

4 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Mussina was also upset at Surhoff getting traded, another likely factor in him not waving his no trade clause.  

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Not sure if Mussina was still on a rookie contract or not, but I'd attribute that to a change in the CBA if he was. Either way, while we don't have to worry about that with Machado, I'm still not sure I trust the FO to do the right thing, or to get max value for him. Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of bargaining power, unless there are multiple bidders. I expect this will go down to the wire.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t see it that way at all.   He did a three-year, team friendly extension and one thing he asked for was a no-trade clause.   He didn’t want to move mid-season for family reasons.    He had every right to enforce that clause.   

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/archives/sports/mussina-not-set-fly-coop-article-1.892196

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ok. Sure didn't prevent him from signing elsewhere just a couple months later. He could have allowed a trade to an east coast team without impacting his family.

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Mussina was also upset at Surhoff getting traded, another likely factor in him not waving his no trade clause.  

Doesn't make sense to me. His friend gets traded so, because of that, Mussina suddenly decides he will not relent about his own no-trade clause. Truly a head-scratching claim.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/a-manny-machado-trade-has-become-inevitable/

Mostly the article is about trading Manny, and it says it’s inevitable that he’ll be traded, but that now isn’t necessarily the time to pull the trigger.   It mentions the DBacks and Cardinals as likely matches.   

I've been beating the Cardinals drum for months, but no one's been listening :)

If the Cards fall to .500 and their off season acquisitions, like Ozuna, continue to struggle the Orioles need to strike while the iron is hot. 

Archived