Could Tim Melville allow the O's to DFA Mike Wright?

wildcard

5 minutes ago, foxfield said:

This ship’s hull is breached in multiple locations. Wright Hess. Who cares. This team doesn’t hit field or pitch well enough to be successful. It’s not a move or two or 10 away. The window seemed to open the night in 2011 we killed the Red Sox with the great Andino. The window seemed to slam shut the night Trumbo took a pie and got pissed. 

The dugout is different. Everything is different. Hopefully something changes and soon but there are very few things going well. Worrying about Mike Wright seems comical. 

Wright goes and Rickard is called up to lead off.  Schoop return/ Sardinas DFA'd.  Trumbo returns and Alvarez is DFA.  Call up Susac and option Caleb to get his bat started at AAA.    That changes 3 1/2 players in the lineup.  It should be a better offense.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I never said call up Melville to replace Wright.   I said the presence of Melville pitching well at AAA could allow the O's to DFA Wright.  The reason to DFA Wright to get back to 12 pitchers and add a  position player to the team to help the offense.  I would promote  Rickard, let he leadoff and  play right field.

I see the distinction, but to me it doesn’t change my overall view.   Joey Rickard is not a significant upgrade to our offense, so it’s just a different deck chair we’re rearranging.   Three good weeks in AAA doesn’t change who Rickard is, so far as I’m concerned.    And having a possible substitute for Mike Wright in the event he’s claimed isn’t hard, whether it’s Melville or any other warm body.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I see the distinction, but to me it doesn’t change my overall view.   Joey Rickard is not a significant upgrade to our offense, so it’s just a different deck chair we’re rearranging.   Three good weeks in AAA doesn’t change who Rickard is, so far as I’m concerned.    And having a possible substitute for Mike Wright in the event he’s claimed isn’t hard, whether it’s Melville or any other warm body.   

So you would like the O's to sit on their thumbs.  I don't.  I am probably going to watch this team whether they win or lose.   I would like to see them win.  Rickard is obviously hot.  He has a 460 OBP at AAA.   He had over a 400 OBP at A+/AA?AAA before his development was interrupted by being a Rule 5 guy.  Maybe going to AAA for a while is just what he needed. Call the guy up and see his he continues  his hot streak.   Play him instead of sitting him on the bench. 

Flaherty sat on the bench for 6 years.  Now he is playing and hitting.  It happens.  It may not happen for a full season but with Hays, Mullins and Steward developing Rickard may not have to be hot all year.   Just come up and give his team a spark for a while.

Having a substitute for Wright is  very important.  The O's starters are one pitch away from the DL.  Sore arms happen.    And they happen suddenly.  Name another pitcher in the the O's organization that his more ready to be a emergency starter than  Melville.  I don't see one.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So you would like the O's to sit on their thumbs.  I don't.  I am probably going to watch this team whether they win or lose.   I would like to see them win.  Rickard is obviously hot.  He has a 460 OBP at AAA.   He had over a 400 OBP at A+/AA?AAA before his development was interrupted by being a Rule 5 guy.  Maybe going to AAA for a while is just what he needed. Call the guy up and see his he continues  his hot streak.   Play him instead of sitting him on the bench. 

Flaherty sat on the bench for 6 years.  Now he is playing and hitting.  It happens.  It may not happen for a full season but with Hays, Mullins and Steward developing Rickard may not have to be hot all year.   Just come up and give his team a spark for a while.

Having a substitute for Wright is  very important.  The O's starters are one pitch away from the DL.  Sore arms happen.    And they happen suddenly.  Name another pitcher in the the O's organization that his more ready to be a emergency starter than  Melville.  I don't see one.

They need to bring up someone.  The non-action from the team is pathetic.  If they keep playing like they are playing no one is going to go to the games. You would think ownership would demand action.  Choices are rebuild, fire Buck, or bring some people up. The refusal of the team to even try to win games is just truly making me stop watching  the games.  I only watched a couple of innings last night.  Saw Davis and Valencia both miss balls they should have handled.  They are weaning me off of baseball.

22 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Wright goes and Rickard is called up to lead off.  Schoop return/ Sardinas DFA'd.  Trumbo returns and Alvarez is DFA.  Call up Susac and option Caleb to get his bat started at AAA.    That changes 3 1/2 players in the lineup.  It should be a better offense.

Schoop is huge Trumbo and Rickard are wishes and while they may play better that is not assured. The fact that Schoop alone moves the needle says a lot. 

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So you would like the O's to sit on their thumbs.  I don't.  I am probably going to watch this team whether they win or lose.   I would like to see them win.  

Forgive me.   I’m incredibly down on this team right now and just not in the mood to spend time thinking about small moves that might marginally improve a team playing .250 baseball.    That’s not your fault, so I’m just going to duck out of this thread.   

54 minutes ago, wildcard said:

IMO Tillman is improving.   His command was better in this last outing.  He went 5 innings and gave up 2 runs.  Then, of course, Buck had to push him to go 6 innings and the gave up 2 more runs.    

I don't think Hess is ready for a call up at this point.  Let him pitch at AAA for a while.

You keep believing that. Tillman doesn't have major league stuff or command. One start in which he still allowed four runs over six innings is not going to change my opinion. If a month from now he's strung 4 or 5 starts in row like the one he just did then I'll perhaps concede that he was able to improve. 

Hess might not be ready, but he's better than Tillman and maybe better than Wright. In a season in which we are going nowhere, why start a guy who is not part of the future rather than a guy who could possible be.

I'm not a huge Hess guy overall, but at this point I'd rather see what some guys can do while gaining experience over guys we know are not part of any winning future with the Orioles (Tillman/Wright).

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Hess might not be ready, but he's better than Tillman and maybe better than Wright. In a season in which we are going nowhere, why start a guy who is not part of the future rather than a guy who could possible be.

I'm not a huge Hess guy overall, but at this point I'd rather see what some guys can do while gaining experience over guys we know are not part of any winning future with the Orioles (Tillman/Wright).

I’d rather see Hess go through a normal minor league progression than be rushed, even if he might be  able to outperform Tillman or Wright right now.    To me, we’ve brought guys up before they were ready far too often.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’d rather see Hess go through a normal minor league progression than be rushed, even if he might be  able to outperform Tillman or Wright right now.    To me, we’ve brought guys up before they were ready far too often.    

This is his 5th year in the system, he's spent 2+ seasons at Bowie already.  I agree with your general premise, but Hess hasn't been rushed.  I think it's more likely that he's just not very good.

11 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

This is his 5th year in the system, he's spent 2+ seasons at Bowie already.  I agree with your general premise, but Hess hasn't been rushed.  I think it's more likely that he's just not very good.

To me, the fact that he repeated Bowie just reinforces my view that he should show some success in AAA before he’s brought to the majors.    Overall, I’m just not a fan of having players skip AAA.    Obviously, there can be exceptions, but I don’t see Hess as one.    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To me, the fact that he repeated Bowie just reinforces my view that he should show some success in AAA before he’s brought to the majors.    Overall, I’m just not a fan of having players skip AAA.    Obviously, there can be exceptions, but I don’t see Hess as one.    

Skipping AAA doesn't seem to have hurt Machado or Bundy. 

Archived