Will Chris Davis have a worse year than Adam Dunn in 2011?

FanSince88

2 hours ago, LocoChris said:

He did walk twice yesterday. I’ll give him credit for that. 

It's pretty bad when the best thing you can say about a hitter is he got a walk. I know what you meant but right now Chris Davis is not a major league starter. Period.

3 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

Sorry but I believe you are comparing apples to oranges. I believe hitting a baseball is far harder than throwing a football no matter how good a quarterback is. Whether is Tom Brady or Johnny Unitas. 

It’s debatable which is harder, but that’s beside the point.    The point was that Flacco is not underperforming in his sport to nearly the same degree that Davis is.     If the Ravens dropped him, he’d immediately get a starting job for another team.    If the O’s dropped Davis, he’d probably have to sign a minor league deal, if he could get one.

1 hour ago, gtman55 said:

It's pretty bad when the best thing you can say about a hitter is he got a walk. I know what you meant but right now Chris Davis is not a major league starter. Period.

I’ll take walks all day. That shows improvement for me. Davis needs to wait for his pitch ahead in the count and drive it. Protect when behind. 

If Davis can't get back to replacement level by the end of 2019, we must DFA him.  That's still a pretty long leash.  But if we keep him until the end of his contract as a negative WAR player every season, his net WAR over his contract will probably be negative and hence we will be paying him to hurt the team.  Given the choice between paying someone $161 million not to hurt our team, and paying them $161 million to hurt our team, you have to go with the former even though it sucks.  Because the latter is just straight up masochism.  

50 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

I don't think you pay a hitter 161 million for walks.

You don’t.   But the money is spent, and I’d rather have walks than strikeouts.   Plus, sometimes walks are a sign that strike zone judgment is coming around, which can only be a good thing.   

8 hours ago, Punchandjudy said:

yes and I'm not sure O's fans are sold on his defense.  I mean I think he is okay, but I believe the drumbeat saying he is a great defensive player comes strictly from the O's and their often surrogate mouthpiece MASN.

I think in his prime (2015 and earlier) his ability to corral errant throws was a HUGE plus for his defense.   He had limited range, but he scooped as well as anyone, was great at starting the occasional 3-6-1 or 3-6-3 DP, and didn't make many errors.    I thought he was a well above average defensive player, and many of the defensive metrics don't even attempt to measure his ability to prevent throwing errors AND even get outs on balls hit to other infielders.    I don't think it was just MASN hype.

He began to decline at those things last year and this year the decline is very noticeable to the eye.

Archived