Connolly: Brady for President

wildcard

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yikes.  Hope all the Brady Bashers don't have a heart attack this morning.

Also, wonder if this jives with Tony's upcoming article.  

Andy was and is a president. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Why would someone competent come to Baltimore if he/she knew from the outset that every decision might be randomly undermined at any moment by King Peter or Prince Brady, or worse by a corporate culture that makes any comprehensive, long-term success DOA?  Someone competent would negotiate the ground rules going in and even if they got everything they wanted wouldn't trust the agreement.

I don't think Duquette's situation is in any way ambiguous to the FO people around major league baseball - the talent pool for the next Dan Duquette.  It may be that it's Brady or nobody until there's a clear turn around with the way the organization is run at the very top.  

The Orioles might or might not be able to hire a qualified person to run the team, but they certainly ought to try. 

Any competent club owner would try to hire someone who, like MacPhail and Duquette, has relevant front-office experience and a past record that qualifies him or her for the job. (I certainly would like to see that be a younger person who has spent time and showed promise as a responsible assistant in another front office.)

Any club owner who's not a complete fool would acknowledge to job-seekers that the Orioles are a mess and will have to rebuild in some way, and would tell anyone considering taking the job that he or she is being hired to rebuild/retool the club and will have the owner's support (subject to budgetary constraints) in pursuing that rebuild. 

Any realistic owner would assure applicants that while the rebuild is pursued, he or she will have the full support of the owner no matter how many games the team loses for a stated number of years.

Any owner who wanted to appear fair would encourage applicants to speak to Duquette and would permit Duquette to be candid with them.

I think doing stuff like that would give the Orioles a chance to get a capable person from outside the organization. Of course, when the owner isn't competent, is a complete fool, from all appearances isn't realistic about the state of the team and doesn't care about  being seen as fair-minded, it will be a tough sell.

One problem I can imagine for anyone other than Brady is that you are going to be coming into an organization that has $17M annually committed to Chris Davis through 2022, plus a reputation for all kinds of restrictions and dysfunctions (physicals, AL East, no international signings, Angelos etc). It will be like being thrown into a boxing match with one arm tied behind your back. Why would any sought after up and coming front office guy want to come to the Orioles?

Duquette came in on a three year deal. I think anyone coming into the job would want at least 5-6 years to allow time to be freed of the Davis contract and then be evaluated on his own merits.

It's probably going to have to be either an internal guy who has some loyalty to the organization, or a "damaged goods" (like Duquette) seeking to restore his reputation before jumping ship. If it is an outsider, they are going to want a nice long contract 

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

I don't know very much about what Brady Anderson has done with the Orioles. I know he's had an important role in conditioning players, and has done some coaching. I understand that he has negotiated contracts with a few veteran players after they've been identified as guys the Orioles wanted to sign, though I can't assess how successful he's been since I don't know what his marching orders were. I gather he's been good at befriending, and I would guess at sucking up to, the Angeloses.

Has Brady Anderson ever negotiated a trade with another club? Considered and made a decision or recommendation on a trade proposal, especially where there needs to be a quick turnaround? Had responsibility for building a 40-man or 25-man roster? Worked under a budget in any job? Debriefed Oriole scouts or evaluated scouting reports on Orioles, Oriole minor leaguers, or players on other teams or in other systems? Reviewed, questioned and decided what use to make of cutting-edge statistical analyses? Made or participated in draft decisions? Staffed minor league teams with players, coaches and managers? Made hiring decisions for off-field personnel? Supervised a staff, or a single employee, in any job or any capacity? Built, or been involved in building, a staff or facilities for scouting an, evaluating and developing Latin American talent? (I think I know the answer to that one -- since he's worked only for the Orioles , he almost certainly hasn't,)

Turning this thing around will be a challenging job. The owner of the team and his sons ain't going to make it any easier. I may be selling Brady short, but I don't think he's done lots of the things that a general manager has to do,, or even observed them at close range like those who've served for a while in assistant GM capacities. I have some reservations as to how quickly he's learn to them well or how good he'd be at them.

If the guy's experience doesn't qualify him for the job, why does he "deserve" a chance? Because he's been a loyal employee? Because he's on good terms with one or both of the owner's sons? That's a hell of a way to get started in turning around a franchise that's in real trouble. A hell of a bad way.

I am not happy with Brady.But since Brady is already working and is close with Angelos family and I think he has already taking over the GM duties. As long as Angelos is the owner there will never be any real change. You know it and I know it. 

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yikes.  Hope all the Brady Bashers don't have a heart attack this morning.

Also, wonder if this jives with Tony's upcoming article.  

Nothing he says here I have any qualms with. 

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

I hope Brady has learned some of these things, too, but I have absolutely no reason to think he has.

All I know is that he has worked out with players, has given them coaching tips on a sort of roving-instructor basis, negotiated a few (two or three?) big player contracts, and has cultivated the Angeloses. And when he speaks he sounds thoughtful and intelligent. 

Anybody else know of additional qualifications that Brady Anderson has to be the President/Executive VP/GM of the Orioles?

The most important qualification of them all to run the Orioles, he has influence with Peter Angelos!

New appointments, at the level of President and below, must be people who are adept at using and understanding sabermetrics. The team doesn't need a bunch of baseball guys who make decisions based on their gut and baseball traditions. If this had been done already, the team wouldn't be overloaded with power hitters/strikeout artistes. The O's brain trust shouldn't look or talk like the "wise men" in "Moneyball." The O's should be looking for a young math whiz who loves the great game of baseball.

35 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The most important qualification of them all to run the Orioles, he has influence with Peter Angelos!

I wonder if I can have influence on Peter Angelos.  I can turn on the Price is Right and operate a blender to make his lunch.  

Archived