The Value of the #1 Overall Pick

TonySoprano

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

As far as I know Angelos only had input in two of those selections and none since 2003.

I think the current regime has done an acceptable job.  Heck year one Harvey and Bundy both looked like the best player in their draft class.

Yep.  You look at 2007-2012 and it's a lot better than 2001-2006.  Bundy and Gausman are far from done too and we don't know how good Harvey really is yet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2018 at 12:46 PM, pastorfan said:

No, I don't. I still love when they passed on Buster Posey in the 2008 draft because they said they had drafted a catcher the year before....no wait I like the Hobgood pick better. The only reason they drafted Manny was because after the first two, it was obvious he was by far the best available.

That wasn’t obvious. Taillon was highly prized. We talked at length in the draft thread about which we should take and there was not a consensus.

The advantage now with the slot system is that teams with these very high picks in the first round have so much $ allotted for the pick that the prospect drafted often signs for less and allows more $ to be spent above slot in same draft.  

Archived