Extend Dan and Buck... Now

Bradysburns

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

GM typically don't interface directly with the players, they leave that to the managers and coaches.

Indeed, hence why it's not necessary for them to have ever "put a jock in". You could even argue it's an advantage. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I want complete turnover.  I want a young analytic GM, like LA, Milwaukee, Houston , Cleveland...and the GM hires his manager. 

I would be ok with a clean sweep.  And I would be ok if DD stays...

But the GM hires the manager. Period.

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

I'm ready for a fresh new start at both spots.  A new era calls for a new regime.  We're starting a rebuild and revitalizing a stagnant organization, and what better way to do that than to hire a dynamic new "GM"?  There are strong candidates available right now, and my hope would be that we could convince them that the ways of Peter Angelos are in the past and that they'd be given full autonomy to remake the organization. 

I wonder if there are any future Theo Epsteins lurking around the Warehouse... 

Amazes me to think he was working for the Orioles for years (along with Lucchino)... 

Of course, who could have known that particular 20-something would become one of the best GMs in baseball... and at his first GM job, at that.

Ultimately, I just hope John Angelos is taking over at the very top. Because as I've prattled on before, he strikes me as a potentially fantastic owner. 

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

What scares the heck out of me, is getting somebody worse.

Buck is far from perfect, but pretty good.

Too many castoffs managers out there, they say, it takes most managers 2 or 3 firings for them to really learn the job and perform it well.

We had a few of managers come through here before Buck, that made me cringe a little.

That's the thing for me, too. Dan and Buck have had great success with the Orioles, and without huge payrolls for the best portion of that run. They did it essentially with smoke, mirrors and duct tape. I won't forget that great contribution, regardless of the future direction of the team. And I fully believe that a promotion for Dan to overall executive of the organization (like he was going to be in Toronto)... would be a great first step. I'd take it right away, and as others have said... leave Buck's fate up to Dan. 

Why keep Dan in the age of boy genius data nerdism? Because he can hire friggin' TEAMS of stat nerds, and filter all that data through his big Dan brain, where decades of baseball wisdom still reside, along with fairly good judgement.

7 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

I wonder if there are any future Theo Epsteins lurking around the Warehouse... 

Amazes me to think he was working for the Orioles for years (along with Lucchino)... 

Of course, who could have known that particular 20-something would become one of the best GMs in baseball... and at his first GM job, at that.

Ultimately, I just hope John Angelos is taking over at the very top. Because as I've prattled on before, he strikes me as a potentially fantastic owner. 

Charlie Cassidy (NFL) started out as an unpaid intern under George Allen, sleeping at Redskins park, earning his education into the business, and then went on to build successful NFL teams.

As much as people  poke fun at Brady, he is learning on the job, which is what most of these guys do, they normally dont walk in off the street and become the MAN.

2 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

I would like DD to stay. I personally think the new GM's are a bunch of bean counting, stat guys. You can not scout like that. Or run a Franchise like that. You might as well get a bunch of guys that read Baseball America all the time. It's about the players. And that is not all apparent on a stat sheet. Ever.

So you've previously equated "bean counting" with GMs who never "wore a jock strap". None of the below GMs ever played baseball at any level. All of them have been successful. Analytics has become an important  part of the game, just like scouting and the international market. And to say that someone must have played the game at the MLB level to truly understand is a statement that really doesn't hold much water. 

Atlanta Braves  - Alex Anthoupolos
Boston Red Sox  - Dave Dombrowski
Houston Astros - Jeff Luhnow
L.A. Dodgers - Farhan Zaidi
Milwaukee Brewers - David Stearns
St. Louis Cardinals - Mike Girsch

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Charlie Cassidy (NFL) started out as an unpaid intern under George Allen, sleeping at Redskins park, earning his education into the business, and then went on to build successful NFL teams.

As much as people  poke fun at Brady, he is learning on the job, which is what most of these guys do, they normally dont walk in off the street and become the MAN.

I didn't realize that about Casserly (assuming you meant that Charlie). He was a very good GM with the Redskins for years. You see that happening in pro sports with some frequency. Theo is another example. Vinnie Cerato is another example, although not a good one. 

Difference between those situations and Brady, to my eyes: In those cases, the guys were unknowns... They learned at the feet of brilliant mentors who actively supported their advancement. With Brady, his vibe and reported actions seem entitled to me. He also seems like a know-it-all, someone who might not be that open to mentoring.

Like, is Dan sitting around downloading all his wisdom to Brady, and Brady's there taking notes? Or is it more like Dan was being forced to accommodate Brady, because Brady is cool and the owner really digs him?

I could be totally wrong. I loved Brady as a player, and he's extremely smart. But I wouldn't be happy to hear he was taking over as GM. 

2 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

I didn't realize that about Casserly (assuming you meant that Charlie). He was a very good GM with the Redskins for years. You see that happening in pro sports with some frequency. Theo is another example. Vinnie Cerato is another example, although not a good one. 

Difference between those situations and Brady, to my eyes: In those cases, the guys were unknowns... They learned at the feet of brilliant mentors who actively supported their advancement. With Brady, his vibe and reported actions seem entitled to me. He also seems like a know-it-all, someone who might not be that open to mentoring.

Like, is Dan sitting around downloading all his wisdom to Brady, and Brady's there taking notes? Or is it more like Dan was being forced to accommodate Brady, because Brady is cool and the owner really digs him?

I could be totally wrong. I loved Brady as a player, and he's extremely smart. But I wouldn't be happy to hear he was taking over as GM. 

I get the same vibe. Also, Casserly holds BS and MS degrees so he's not exactly an apples to apples comparison to Anderson, who never earned his BS. And I'm not sure I'd cite Vinnie Cerato as a positive example of anything. Also Vinnie worked as a scout for a number of years so, again, not an apples to apples comparison. Anderson has no relevant experience, other then having played baseball. 

2 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

Charlie hired Vinnie, never cared much for Vinnie, but alot of his issues came from Danny the owner.

Yup, sorry for my poor spelling.

Casserly started with the Redskins in 1977 as an unpaid intern under Hall of Fame coach, George Allen. Washington hired Casserly as a scout the next season. During his early years as a scout, he unearthed free agents Joe Jacoby and Jeff Bostic, who were original members of the famed "Hogs" offensive line and key components of Washington's first two Super Bowl teams. Jacoby was selected to four Pro Bowls and Bostic made one trip to Honolulu. The Redskins elevated Casserly to Assistant General Manager in 1982 and the club went on to capture its first Super Bowl. That year, Casserly also re-instituted the club's intern program, which has produced more than 20 league executives over his years in Washington and Houston.

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

I get the same vibe. Also, Casserly holds BS and MS degrees so he's not exactly an apples to apples comparison to Anderson, who never earned his BS. And I'm not sure I'd cite Vinnie Cerato as a positive example of anything. Also Vinnie worked as a scout for a number of years so, again, not an apples to apples comparison. Anderson has no relevant experience, other then having played baseball. 

I have a raw nerve when people pop out the crap about college and make it sound degrading if they dont have one.

I went into the work force, and busted my ass, without college. I learned my job, and rose the ranks and got damn good at it.

I've worked along some worthless bums, who had nice pretty paper diploma, but when you ask about college days, they talk about college as being one big beer party and trying to get laid. Granted, I am sure, not every college degree person had this experience.

Im not ready to anoint Brady next king, nor am I ready to toss him aside.  Brady seams like a goto guy that is more interested in getting things fix, without the focusing being on himself, or what his fancy job title is.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

I have a raw nerve when people pop out the crap about college and make it sound degrading if they dont have one.

I went into the work force, and busted my ass, without college. I learned my job, and rose the ranks and got damn good at it.

I've worked along some worthless bums, who had nice pretty paper diploma, but when you ask about college days, they talk about college as being one big beer party and trying to get laid. Granted, I am sure, not every college degree person had this experience.

Im not ready to anoint Brady next king, nor am I ready to toss him aside.  Brady seams like a goto guy that is more interested in getting things fix, without the focusing being on himself, or what his fancy job title is.

I didn't make it sound degrading, but it's also unfair to completely dismiss the fact that someone spent 4+ years earning a BS and MS. College isn't like the movie "Animal House". If you apply yourself you do actually learn something. Especially if you'r studying a specific trade. Me, I was somewhere in between. My major was a bit broader, but it definitely gave me a solid foundation for what I do today. I'm sure there are plenty of people though who just coasted and didn't learn very much. I guess you could say college / education is really what you make of it. 

Anyway, back on topic. I really don't get a "busted my ass" vibe from Brady Anderson. It's much more of a trust fund baby / right place at the right time vibe. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I didn't make it sound degrading, but it's also unfair to completely dismiss the fact that someone spent 4+ years earning a BS and MS. College isn't like the movie "Animal House". If you apply yourself you do actually learn something. Especially if you'r studying a specific trade. Me, I was somewhere in between. My major was a bit broader, but it definitely gave me a solid foundation for what I do today. I'm sure there are plenty of people though who just coasted and didn't learn very much. I guess you could say college / education is really what you make of it. 

Anyway, back on topic. I really don't get a "busted my ass" vibe from Brady Anderson. It's much more of a trust fund baby / right place at the right time vibe. 

Buck talked one time about half way mentioned a spur he had with a problem at another ST stadium and something to do with the field. If my memory serves me correctly. Without being told, Brady jumps in his car, drives a couple of hours each way, gets the problem corrected and then drives home, but doesn't brother to tell somebody that its taken care, just a behind the scenes guy, and does what it takes to get the job done.

And you are correct, its reverse bias on my part to dismiss somebody that has a college degree. My hats off to those that took the time and went into debt.

I dont get that trust fund baby air about Brady. When he works out the players when they come to him, he is right there with them, doing it himself.

9 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

How many games did he play needing an appendectomy?  That's a lot of points in my book.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Buck talked one time about half way mentioned a spur he had with a problem at another ST stadium and something to do with the field. If my memory serves me correctly. Without being told, Brady jumps in his car, drives a couple of hours each way, gets the problem corrected and then drives home, but doesn't brother to tell somebody that its taken care, just a behind the scenes guy, and does what it takes to get the job done.

And you are correct, its reverse bias on my part to dismiss somebody that has a college degree. My hats off to those that took the time and went into debt.

I dont get that trust fund baby air about Brady. When he works out the players when they come to him, he is right there with them, doing it himself.

I think you might be in the minority on this. If he had worked his way up through system (degree or no degree) I would have a much higher opinion of him. But he went straight from MLB player to Special Assistant to the Executive President of Baseball Operations and a year later Vice President of Baseball Operations. That's a pretty big leap. Going back to your Casserly comparison, he started out as a scout and worked his way up the ladder. Brady was gifted his position, he didn't earn it. He hasn't earned anything. 

Archived