August Trade Stock Watch

ScGO's

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Gentry would fit real nicely with several playoff contenders in September - particularly in the NL.  I think he actually has a little trade value.     

Buck? Is that you? 

All kidding aside, Gentry has no trade value. Zero, nada, zilch. If teams want a non hitting defensive late game replacement they'll just promote someone from within. No one is trading for Gentry. 

PS) And a big fat "I told you so" to all the posters who thought Valencia had value. 

27 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Buck? Is that you? 

All kidding aside, Gentry has no trade value. Zero, nada, zilch. If teams want a non hitting defensive late game replacement they'll just promote someone from within. No one is trading for Gentry. 

PS) And a big fat "I told you so" to all the posters who thought Valencia had value. 

I take it you've never watched NL baseball - particularly in September.  In September, teams always need a veteran guy like Gentry - who can be a late inning defensive replacement in any of the OF positions, do situational pinch-hitting, pinch-running, etc.  Guys like that are vital down the stretch in the playoffs hunt.  Those guys are more valuable than a stiff defender like Valencia who's only value at this point is in pinch-hitting.   

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I take it you've never watched NL baseball - particularly in September.  In September, teams always need a veteran guy like Gentry - who can be a late inning defensive replacement in any of the OF positions, do situational pinch-hitting, pinch-running, etc.  Guys like that are vital down the stretch in the playoffs hunt. 

I've watched plenty of NL baseball...and, like I said in my first reply, 99% of the teams have a good defensive player on their roster or within their organization. We're not talking about Billy Hamilton here. We're talking about a 34 year old journeyman. He has no trade value and come September we shouldn't be giving him anymore at bats if he's still on the team. Because they're wasted at bats on a player who has no future with the team. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I've watched plenty of NL baseball...and, like I said in my first reply, 99% of the teams have a good defensive player on their roster or within their organization. We're not talking about Billy Hamilton here. We're talking about a 34 year old journeyman. He has no trade value and come September we shouldn't be giving him anymore at bats if he's still on the team. Because they're wasted at bats on a player who has no future with the team. 

Aren't you a breath of fresh air.  And who are you arguing with when you say he has no future with the team?  

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Aren't you a breath of fresh air.  And who are you arguing with when you say he has no future with the team?  

So you think a 34 year old journeyman is the future of the team? That's the kind of thinking that led us down the path of 14 straight losing seasons in the late 90s / early 00s. I'm a realist. The future of this team, like it or not, lies in the hands of our younger players and prospects. Not Craig Gentry. His at bats should be given to the younger players so they can grow and learn. 

22 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

So you think a 34 year old journeyman is the future of the team? That's the kind of thinking that led us down the path of 14 straight losing seasons in the late 90s / early 00s. I'm a realist. The future of this team, like it or not, lies in the hands of our younger players and prospects. Not Craig Gentry. His at bats should be given to the younger players so they can grow and learn. 

You're not listening.  I asked you who you were arguing with - meaning I think everyone understand's that he's NOT a part of the team's future.  

Why isn’t Rickard playing anyway?  Are we going to non tender him this offseason?  Gentry’s WAR is propped up by the fact that he’s had more balls hit to him this year than last. His OPS is actually worse. Rickard has hit in AAA this year. Maybe it’s easier said then done, but I wouldn’t have a problem just releasing Gentry or Joseph and seeing what players with a possible future with us can do. 

The markets are changing, I don't see much happening after all.  The only player that other teams see as valuable doesn't want to be traded.  Think Jones has changed his mind yet?

Cashner or Cobb trades could come out of nowhere as the Schoop and Gausman deals did if Dan feels compelled to shed more salary for the sake of shedding salary. But I give it a 1% chance.  

Trumbo's hurt and the rest may be DFA'd.  

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why isn’t Rickard playing anyway?  Are we going to non tender him this offseason?  Gentry’s WAR is propped up by the fact that he’s had more balls hit to him this year than last. His OPS is actually worse. Rickard has hit in AAA this year. Maybe it’s easier said then done, but I wouldn’t have a problem just releasing Gentry or Joseph and seeing what players with a possible future with us can do. 

They were trying to raise Gentry's trade value.   Let's see what the O's do on Sept 1st.

37 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

The markets are changing, I don't see much happening after all.  The only player that other teams see as valuable doesn't want to be traded.  Think Jones has changed his mind yet?

Cashner or Cobb trades could come out of nowhere as the Schoop and Gausman deals did if Dan feels compelled to shed more salary for the sake of shedding salary. But I give it a 1% chance.  

Trumbo's hurt and the rest may be DFA'd.  

Cobb does have NT through Nov 2018

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The Giants got back two top 30 prospects from the Yankees for McCutchen.  Gotta think that Jones would’ve brought back similar or likely a little bit better. Would’ve been nice to add that. 

McCutchen is the superior player having the better year.

Archived