Plus Alert: Matusz and 2008 draft update with exclusive quotes from Joe Jordan

Tony-OH

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Jordan is very confident" he will sign those he wants to sign.

Famous last words? Which of those guys does he not want to sign? ;)

If JJ wants most of those guys, it might take $2M-$3M if three of them want second/third round $. That would definitely be keeping up with the Jones (BoSox).

I will say that if Matu signs for $3M+, we would still be in the neighborhood of the $ spent on last year's draft if we signed several of these summer follows since, despite not having a second/third round pick last year, we spent big $ on Wieters/Arrieta.

"Jordan is very confident" he will sign those he wants to sign.

Famous last words? Which of those guys does he not want to sign? ;)

If JJ wants most of those guys, it might take $2M-$3M if three of them want second/third round $. That would definitely be keeping up with the Jones (BoSox).

I will say that if Matu signs for $3M+, we would still be in the neighborhood of the $ spent on last year's draft if we signed several of these summer follows since, despite not having a second/third round pick last year, we spent big $ on Wieters/Arrieta.

Hoosiers, I agree with all that you've been saying. It's important to draft the top talent and make a legitimate run for them because with a few draft classes like this, and we'll see quite a rise in competition and overall organization potential. The Red Sox have been so good in the draft recently despite consistently being at the bottom of each round because they are willing to spend the money on these top signability talents. In 07, the O's set a precedent that they were willing to spend to get the top guys, so hopefully this year is no different.

Being able to ink guys like Bundy, Beal, Brady, Landers, and Martin, and others such as Art Charles would be absolutely huge for this organization. We didn't spend a lot in the international free agent period so why not just allocate that money to our draft fund? I like the signings of Corey Thomas and Drake, so hopefully we'll continue to pay these guys because in the long run it could make quite a big impact.

Hoosiers, I agree with all that you've been saying. It's important to draft the top talent and make a legitimate run for them because with a few draft classes like this, and we'll see quite a rise in competition and overall organization potential. The Red Sox have been so good in the draft recently despite consistently being at the bottom of each round because they are willing to spend the money on these top signability talents. In 07, the O's set a precedent that they were willing to spend to get the top guys, so hopefully this year is no different.

Being able to ink guys like Bundy, Beal, Brady, Landers, and Martin, and others such as Art Charles would be absolutely huge for this organization. We didn't spend a lot in the international free agent period so why not just allocate that money to our draft fund? I like the signings of Corey Thomas and Drake, so hopefully we'll continue to pay these guys because in the long run it could make quite a big impact.

Hearing JJ say this spend was necessary to keep up with the BoSox was music to my ears. Many of us have been preaching for this kind of draft spend for a while.

One must remember how much it reflects on JJ to spend this extra $. This extra $ only becomes available, IMO, if used properly - as JJ has done with Arrieta and DHernandez. If we sign Bundy and company and they flop, it reflects poorly on JJ - so it's a double-edged sword to get this $ and these prospects we hope to sign.

Hearing JJ say this spend was necessary to keep up with the BoSox was music to my ears. Many of us have been preaching for this kind of draft spend for a while.

One must remember how much it reflects on JJ to spend this extra $. This extra $ only becomes available, IMO, if used properly - as JJ has done with Arrieta and DHernandez. If we sign Bundy and company and they flop, it reflects poorly on JJ - so it's a double-edged sword to get this $ and these prospects we hope to sign.

Yup this is true. However, JJ has shown that he has a track record for getting guys like DH and Arrieta later in the draft, so I think he deserves the opportunity to spend with the big boys. Even if Bundy and the others never amount, you at least have to try and sign the top available talent within reason.

Yup this is true. However, JJ has shown that he has a track record for getting guys like DH and Arrieta later in the draft, so I think he deserves the opportunity to spend with the big boys. Even if Bundy and the others never amount, you at least have to try and sign the top available talent within reason.

According to Joe, MacPhail has been very supportive of what's he's trying to do in the draft. It's really coming down to whether Joe and his scouts think they're worth the money they are asking for.

According to Joe, MacPhail has been very supportive of what's he's trying to do in the draft. It's really coming down to whether Joe and his scouts think they're worth the money they are asking for.

You can't really say fairer than that. V good news.

For me, I think Bundy should be a priority signing. He has a chance to be our Adenhart signing. After Bundy, I think we should make very strong efforts to sign Brandon Loy, Jarrett Martin and Kevin Brady. I'd throw Miclat a bone, but not much more than that.

Also, I'd make one last effort to sign Hermann at slightly above slot money. Who knows? The kid has changed his mind once, perhaps he'll flip again.

Also, I'd make one last effort to sign Hermann at slightly above slot money. Who knows? The kid has changed his mind once, perhaps he'll flip again.

He's going to Miami right? If he doesn't sign, I'm going to give him the business everytime I see Miami play in person. I've had parents come and yell at me before, so I guess I'm not too shabby at it.

This was my highlight of a really great article, Tony - thanks for sharing this info out with the group.

I like the full on support of player scouting, signing and development. Bad news on Christopher Herrmann, but I like the fact they're drawing a line and moving on.

Thanks again!!!!

Tony, we've drafted multiple tough signs this year.

Can AM be given credit for pushing JJ in that direction or is there a different reason?

So does this mean that they're open or willing to sign any draftees like Art Charles or Brandon Loy? It would be amazing to lock down a large portion of these raw high school talents. Right now my priority list would be Bundy, Landers, Brady, Martin, Beal, Loy and Charles as far as tough high school signs are concerned, and hopefully Jordan feels confident in handling their signings.

Hey Tony, great stuff!

Are we to assume that by their exclusion from the article that there is not any good news on Keith Landers, Jesse Beal and Art Charles?

Here's the latest. Beal threw a bullpen session for the Orioles a few days ago and the Orioles hope to have something done with him shortly. Joe is heading out to see Landers pitch here shortly and although has has not seen Charles, they are still interested in getting something done with him.

Look for things to start to shake out in the next two weeks or so with a lot of these guys.

Archived