To Mountcastle or to not Mountcastle...

wildcard

21 minutes ago, weams said:

I see no need for Joseph, Wilkerson, Rickard, Hart, or Trumbo either. 

You might not see a need for Mark Trumbo, but he's under contact for another year and they're not going to cut him. I also think Trumbo is almost untradeable unless we completely eat his contract. Mediocre DHs are a dime a dozen and no team is going to play him in the OF or at 1B with any regularity and feel good about it. If Buck's back Trumbo will definitely be back next year. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Why are you against Wilkerson? He did pretty well defensively in his limited time he got and seemed to be adjusting to MLB pitching before the injury.

I'm fine with them giving him a look, but I'm not high on him either Wilkerson projects as a utility guy to me and not an everyday player. 

43 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I'm torn on this. I know they want to see what they have with players.

Mountcastle has a great bat, but subpar defense. The Orioles already have Nunez at 3rd and have given him the starting role there. Nunez is basically the same thing, only Nunez has a strong arm, just a bad glove. Mountcastle has a weak arm, decent glove. Both have great bats with power. But Mountcastle really doesn't have a position.

He also doesn't need to be on the 40 man roster this season to be protected from anything. Yes, there shouldn't be a roster crunch, but there really isn't a need for him.

You know, I mean that's we kept saying about Sisco, and then he couldn't hit a lick up here and has been banished for the likes of Joseph and Wynns. If Sisco's fine approach at the plate didn't translate up here, who's to say Mountcastle's overly aggressive approach will? 

How can we know anything anymore? Lol. 

My thought on Mountcastle is, you bring him up and play him if you have a plan for him in the future. Meaning, do you think he's your 3B/LF/DH/something of the future? If yes, play him. If not, don't. I don't believe they have any idea what to do with this kid. He can't play the field. It'd be weird to DH someone this young, although I'm for it. 

I always thought he should have been traded before he comes up and it's revealed he can't hit ML pitching or something. Just sell while he's a prospect, and get a pitcher or a defense-first prospect. 

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

You know, I mean that's we kept saying about Sisco, and then he couldn't hit a lick up here and has been banished for the likes of Joseph and Wynns. If Sisco's fine approach at the plate didn't translate up here, who's to say Mountcastle's overly aggressive approach will? 

Sisco is not done.  He is only 23.

19 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm fine with them giving him a look, but I'm not high on him either Wilkerson projects as a utility guy to me and not an everyday player. 

Still need a utility guy.

17 minutes ago, weams said:

I'm not against anyone really. Except Don Hart of course. I just don't see the Orioles paying guys next year. 

Wilkerson isn't exactly commanding a giant salary. Let's see what he can do in a season.

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

There is still time for Sisco.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

My thought on Mountcastle is, you bring him up and play him if you have a plan for him in the future. Meaning, do you think he's your 3B/LF/DH/something of the future? If yes, play him. If not, don't. I don't believe they have any idea what to do with this kid. He can't play the field. It'd be weird to DH someone this young, although I'm for it. 

I always thought he should have been traded before he comes up and it's revealed he can't hit ML pitching or something. Just sell while he's a prospect, and get a pitcher or a defense-first prospect. 

I think he will be with the O's next July after Trumbo is traded at the deadline. He is a DH/1B.   He will compete with Mancini for playing time IMO.   One of them probably gets traded in a couple of years.

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I've liked his third base defense the last month. You? Have you watched?

Archived