Thread Capsule: Revisit in 2022

Greg Pappas

I was watching a movie where a time capsule was involved, which gave me the idea of starting a thread with the intent to revisit it in before the start of spring training, 2022. Naturally, any thread can be revisited, but just go with it. ?

The main thought for this revolves around what each of us imagines we'll see by then... regarding all things Orioles.  Perhaps you can predict:

• who the owners are.
  • who the GM is.
  • who the manager is.
  • who our best players and prospects are.
  • what our records were in '19, '20, and '21.
  • what the 'future' looks like for the team moving forward from that point in 2022. 

You can keep it short, or really get into it... it's up to you. As well, it'll be interesting to see how these recent trades play out, and what posters will expect from our return by then.

1 hour ago, higgybaby said:

I predict that our best prospect is not currently in our organization and will most likely come from an international free agency signing. 

I could definitely see that, though a high draft pick should be a strong contender (I'd hope).

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

I was watching a movie where a time capsule was involved, which gave me the idea of starting a thread with the intent to revisit it in before the start of spring training, 2022. Naturally, any thread can be revisited, but just go with it. ?

The main thought for this revolves around what each of us imagines we'll see by then... regarding all things Orioles.  Perhaps you can predict:

• who the owners are.
  • who the GM is.
  • who the manager is.
  • what the 'future' looks like for the team moving forward from that point in 2022. 

You can keep it short, or really get into it... it's up to you. As well, it'll be interesting to see how these recent trades play out, and what posters will expect from our return by then.

Fun!

-Owners are still the Angelos boys

-GM is a young, analytics guy (or girl). 

-Manager is a former Orioles.  I'll say Chris Hoiles.

-Best player:  this one is a bit deppressing to think about, but I'll go with DL Hall.  He'll be our "ace" but would be a number 2 or 3 on a good team, a la Tillman was.  Jean Carlos Encarnacion will be our best hitter, and he will profile very similarly to Schoop.  Hays will also profile similarly to Schoop offensively, and be very solid in RF.

-Best prospect:  Hmmm I'll say it will be one of the guys we draft with a top 5 pick in 2019, 2020, or 2021.

-Records in '19,'20,'21:  see above.

-The future is beginning to look up actually, as we've finally gained some traction in the international market and are able to attract some of the more high profile kids.  Due to the high draft picks, and a few trades of current assets, we have a top 10 farm system in baseball.  We make the playoffs again in 2024, and win a WS in 2027.

-

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

• who the owners are.
  • who the GM is.
  • who the manager is.

• The owners will remain the Angelos group, led by John & Louis Angelos.
  • The GM will be either Jason McLeod, Jared Porter, or another highly-touted up-and-comer. 
  • The manager will be Sandy Alomar, Jr, Carlos Beltran, or Joe Espada.
  • Our best players will be RF Yusniel Diaz, 1B Ryan Mountcastle, and 2021 RoY C Adley Rutschmann.
  • 2019=54-108  /   2020=64-98   /  2021=72-90
  • I suspect we'll have some solid contributors in addition to our top position players.  Our offense will be a bit below average overall, but improving. Our team defense will be league average, but we'll be struggling to field a quality pitching staff.  Most of our best starter prospects did not make it as big league starters, due to injuries or ineffectiveness, though two will. The other three starters will be traded for or picked up as FA's. Our minor league system will be among the top ten in the game.

The future shows promise, but a team that's still a couple of years away from contending.

24 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:
  • The owners will remain the Angelos group, led by John & Louis Angelos.
  • The GM will be either Jason McLeod, Jared Porter, or another highly-touted up-and-comer. 
  • The manager will be Sandy Alomar, Jr, Carlos Beltran, or Joe Espada.
  • Our best players will be RF Yusniel Diaz, 1B Ryan Mountcastle, and 2021 RoY C Adley Rutschmann.
  • 2019=54-108  /   2020=64-98   /  2021=72-90
  • I suspect we'll have some solid contributors in addition to our top position players.  Our offense will be a bit below average overall, but improving. Our team defense will be league average, but we'll be struggling to field a quality pitching staff.  Most of our best starter prospects did not make it as big league starters, due to injuries or ineffectiveness, though two will. The other three starters will be traded for or picked up as FA's. Our minor league system will be among the top ten in the game.

The future shows promise, but a team that's still a couple of years away from contending.

Sign me up for any of them!

Archived