17 minor leaguers I want to see called up in Sept.

wildcard

Maybe not all at once, but sometime during the month.

Players on the 40 man roster that should be recalled:

Pitchers

1-3.  Carroll, Phillips and Yacabonis   Yacabonis has pitched 92.2 innings so far and the AAA season has 7 games left.   He has never pitched over 82 innings before.

4.  Araujo.  Call him up around the 14th and have him fulfill his Rule 5 requirement. I don't care if he pitches or not.

Catcher

5. Sisco

Infielders

6-7.   Wilkerson and Valera.  Wilkerson activated from the DL

Outfielder:

8-9.  Hays and Rickard

Players added to the 40 man roster:

Starters:

10-11.  Means and Ortiz   Means has pitch 151.1 innings so far.  He has never pitched over 146 inning before.

Relievers:

12-15.   Kline,  Luis Gonzalez, Chris Lee and Flaa.  They have made Chris Lee a reliever at AA and he has responded well.   They need to determine if these guys should be on the 40 man roster over the winter. Kline is coming off TJ surgery.  Has pitched well but can't pitch often.  The O's will be careful with him.

Catcher:

16.  Cervenka  If they are considering non tendering  Joseph they should take a look at Cervanka.

Outfielder

17.   Mike Yastrzemski    Yaz may be a bridge to Hays and Diaz if they  are determined to need more time in minors in ST.   If Jones and Gentry are gone then only Mancini, Mullins and Rickard are left.  Stewart  hasn't hit for 2 months. He needs more time at AAA.  Yaz has outplayed him.   

7 current players that should move off the 40 man roster to make room.

1-3 Hart, Marinez, Peterson,  Have no options left next year.

4. Gentry  Should be released early in Sept if he is not traded in August.   That way he can find a contender that needs is speed.

5. Andreoli.   He may stay of a week or so in September but so far he has not shown enough to get playing time over Hay, Rickard and Yaz

6. Vielma.   Put him on the 60 day DL or release him.  I don't see how he stays on the 40 man roster through the Rule 5 draft.

7. Trumbo   Place him on the 60 day DL

How do the O's add 8 to the 40 man roster and move 7 off?   Some get send to Sarasota on the taxis squad after the minor league season ends.  When players get injured they go on the 60 day DL which makes room for players from Sarasota.

With pitch limits in effect on some of the minor league pitchers they will not pitch that much or that often.  Getting plenty of rest between outings.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously, 17 is not going to happen. But there's no point in calling up anyone unless Buck will play him for more than a few innings. There's a bunch of guys on that list to whom I don't think Buck would give much if any playing time, and there appears to be nobody with the authority or stones to tell him otherwise.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Buck understands the importance to the team of getting a real look at promoted players and will sit his beloved veterans to play the newcomers. I hope so.

Buck has complained over the years about too many bodies in the clubhouse and too many bodies to manage when talking about September call ups. I think you will be disappointed in the relatively low number. And calling up 17 would be incredibly useless; most would just watch games from the unbelievably crowded bench and bullpen. You are way more likely to see 5 or so players called up. 

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

Obviously, 17 is not going to happen. But there's no point in calling up anyone unless Buck will play him for more than a few innings. There's a bunch of guys on that list to whom I don't think Buck would give much if any playing time, and there appears to be nobody with the authority or stones to tell him otherwise.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Buck understands the importance to the team of getting a real look at promoted players and will sit his beloved veterans to play the newcomers. I hope so.

I really like seeing some top or even interesting players in September, but the "real looks" are often incredibly misleading. Buck talks about how misleading September performances are all the time. I tend to disregard most of his chatter, but I largely agree with him on this. Again, I want to see Hays and a few others for my own enjoyment (I would like to see Mountcastle for fun, but I don't think that's going to happen and probably for all the right reasons). A number of the players on WC's list are well known to the Orioles as they have already spent time with the team and in some cases a lot of time (e.g., Rickard) or they have zero chance of helping the Orioles in the future (e.g, Yaz).

That said you are right to question whether or not Buck will play the call ups much. Heck, Andreoli and Gentry were in the starting lineup last night. I think they will play Hays if he's called up and a handful of pitchers are going to see a few innings, for sure. The rest, not-so-much IMO. 

9 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Buck has complained over the years about too many bodies in the clubhouse and too many bodies to manage when talking about September call ups. I think you will be disappointed in the relatively low number. And calling up 17 would be incredibly useless; most would just watch games from the unbelievably crowded bench and bullpen. You are way more likely to see 5 or so players called up. 

Don't forget 7 players would come off the 40 man roster.

4 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I really like seeing some top or even interesting players in September, but the "real looks" are often incredibly misleading. Buck talks about how misleading September performances are all the time. I tend to disregard most of his chatter, but I largely agree with him on this. Again, I want to see Hays and a few others for my own enjoyment (I would like to see Mountcastle for fun, but I don't think that's going to happen and probably for all the right reasons). A number of the players on WC's list are well known to the Orioles as they have already spent time with the team and in some cases a lot of time (e.g., Rickard) or they have zero chance of helping the Orioles in the future (e.g, Yaz).

That said you are right to question whether or not Buck will play the call ups much. Heck, Andreoli and Gentry were in the starting lineup last night. I think they will play Hays if he's called up and a handful of pitchers are going to see a few innings, for sure. The rest, not-so-much IMO. 

I don't think that's true of defense (including, especially, throwing) and speed (on defense and running the bases). It's going to be a small sample size, of course.

Sometimes you see a guy in September who really rakes against good ML pitching or shows really god patience at the plate. I think that tells you something. I agree that if a guy doesn't hit much in 10 or 20 or 40 September ABs it's hard to know what to make of that.

I don't want to call up anyone unless they are: (a) already on the 40-man roster or (b) need to be added to the 40-man this off-season. I don't want to exacerbate the control issue on players and add them to the 40-man just to see them for a couple games if we can save ourselves a 40-man spot over the winter. I don't know if any in the OP qualify.

9 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I don't want to call up anyone unless they are: (a) already on the 40-man roster or (b) need to be added to the 40-man this off-season. I don't want to exacerbate the control issue on players and add them to the 40-man just to see them for a couple games if we can save ourselves a 40-man spot over the winter. I don't know if any in the OP qualify.

Every player listed for call  up has to be on the 40 man roster  this off season or be exposed to the Rule 5 draft.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

No harm in bringing up the top 9. I definitely would not start the clock for any potentially valuable guys like Ortiz. I don't see the point in calling up 17 guys since most of them would be unable to play.

I think the O's management want to see Ortiz with the O's in September.  He has to be on the 40 man roster or expose to the Rule 5 draft anyway.

So lets say the O's go to a six man rotation in Sept.  That is not uncommon.   There is Bundy, Cobb, Cashner, maybe Hess.  Who are the 5th and 6th starters.  I can see Rogers, Means and Ortiz each getting a few starts.

Archived